Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
[PR] Disables kudzu people
rest in piss you miserable bastards
Atleast we all agree on the following for disabling Kudzu and what to do with them.
I already made a suggestion for Kudzu a while ago, but since I can't code it, i'll repeat it in this PR.

1: Split Kudzu into ant/neutral(crew).
2: Allow players chose to subcumb to kudzu.
3: Botany can now grow normal kudzu by "ways" that aren't antgonistic.

Esentially put the neutral Kudzu would be the hyper botany one with healing. They grow benefical kudzu where they like wich are miniture healing stations/make oxygen.
Standing on that Kudzu recovers wounds and such at a slow pace. (Doesnt outright replace medbay)
Benefical Kudzu people can only be healed on this kudzu, but aren't needed to move on them to survive as they aren't plant zombies.
To become a Kudzu Botanist (as I call em) you just have to eat Kudzu fruit. Since it's more a symbiote... even if you trick someone they gain kudzu abillities and the fact they gotta heal on the plants (wich they can grow too once in a while)

Kudzu antagonist is a whole "blob like" game play where the antagonist become the kudzu flower and spreads from it. And anyone who dies on Kudzu becomes a thrall.
But to be fair.... this similiar to flock mind in a way too so nah.

I think if we are going to make kudzu people more welcoming, we should allow the benefical good kudzu idea, but eh.

Overall.. turn it off, rework it.
(07-09-2022, 05:03 AM)saccharineChampion Wrote: Kudzupeople are fun to be and I hope this does not go through

Anecdotally I haven't experienced any issues with folks being jerky and bad with it

Also re:commenting out instead of removing, we have version history, keeping it in the code but disabled is just bloat; if this does go through and someone wants to improve it later they can just retrieve the kudzu people stuff from a commit pre-disabiling

Commenting it out allows admins to temporarily reenable it for a round a la patho, doesn't it?  Or would that not work here, I'm not a coder.
They could reenable it for a round by beforehand changing the code to remove what commented it out, but to my knowledge, they would not be able to change it on-the-fly within a round. Which is pretty much the same situation being able to paste it back in for a round.

That being said, I don't know the full extent of the admin tools, so maybe it can be changed on the fly somehow; prior is just my basic read of the relevant code.
If the goal was to make it an “admin only” thing it’d be better to make a variant of kudzu that converts and a variant of kudzu that doesn’t, and then make the variant that converts admin spawn only or a variable to edit or something.
The main purpose of commenting it out is to leave a history behind, while yes someone could go through old commits and pull the code out, the code being there is a constant reminder of what was. Its less of making a rework easier and moreso making a rework more likely. Also it helps clarify the intent of this pr that this prs intent is not to permanently wipe them out of the game, but instead to disable them until vast improvement comes
(07-09-2022, 07:28 AM)Ikea Wrote: The main purpose of commenting it out is to leave a history behind, while yes someone could go through old commits and pull the code out, the code being there is a constant reminder of what was. Its less of making a rework easier and moreso making a rework more likely. Also it helps clarify the intent of this pr that this prs intent is not to permanently wipe them out of the game, but instead to disable them until vast improvement comes

Like pathology and the flockmind. 

I remember when pathology came back and reworked... all my shifts were spend in medbay cause: "VIRAL OUTBREAK!" every... single... time....
And no it wasn't cause we caught a virus somewhere.. it's cause some pathology nitwits kept making "FUNNY DISEASES" with high spread so we all got the FRENCH COUGH. Every round we wore face masks and gloves and... well...
THIS WAS DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE PANDEMIC! So let's say it was in VERY POOR taste.

So turned off to this day and being reworked by devs who want it back smile

Trust me Kudzu isnt as bad as pathology was, since it's more rare, but we need to improve and turn it off since it's effecting too many people now.
Also Kudzu is one of the most annoying antagonist items to deal with in general...
Add on top annoying kudzu people who want to guard their rights but won't comprimise and now the entire shift is dealing with their chaos.. all cause 1 antagonist planted kudzu as a distraction for their objectives...
Hnestly, kudzu people are not bad. The RP restrictions around them are.

They cannot communicate properly with the crew, they have a single simple goal. And to top it off they are non-antagonist. So what's left for them? A boring and mindless task of spreading kudzu and hoping that some blessed soul tries to RP with their gimmick.

If it weren't for the dangers of griefing, i would simply allow them to be ruthless antagonists that should pursue their goal of spreading kudzu with relentless ferocity.

But because of the griefing danger, kudzupeopke need to have more restrictions, like being unable to survive when not on kudzu and much lower health stats, like blood starved thralls. And a much higher cost on kudzu seeds.

Overall, this would need a rework, so i can understand the thought of disabling their spawning for a while.
Kudzu peoples are not bad but also not good. They are not antags but also not humans. They exist but have no purpose.

Kudzu seeds are meant to be used by traitors to cause some distraction and waste the crew's time. What tend to happen in practice is general apathy toward kudzu on main, with some crewmembers suiciding to it for the funny. Or on RP the kudzu tend to be efficiently cleared, not causing that much trouble, unless someone wants to do some kudzupeople gimmick.

So if the question is "should Kudzupeoples be disabled while we figure out what we want kudzu to be ?" I think I'm for it, yeah. But if possibe I wish the corpse eating aspect of kudzu to remain somehow.
yeah kudzu people are in a complete gray area, and while i like the idea of them being a purposely neutral party that is neither good or bad I can understand why many wouldnt want them to be that and the confusion that state could cause.

Its sad that kudzupeople have to go but I understand why it might be best for them to be removed until someone finishes a full rework.
IMHO Kudzu people are bad right now. They're basically cluwnes with plant powers, but for some reason people will go out of their way to help them if people attack them, as well as people suiciding to become kudzu people and get really mad if you attack them. This is a great PR
I like kudzu frown
Kudzu people are just botanists... but plant.
I hope they do get disabled until there is a re-work. The self-antagging gets kind of bad.

Kudzu people are just in this weird spot of not being antags but they end up doing antag things like spreading it or attacking people trying to stop the spread so it is confusing on both sides. Really needs some re-work..

A plant-based mutant race would be really cool, though. I want to water staff for medical reasons. Dr. Acula
If kudzu was able to slowly transform walls and addtional things instead of just being essentially a carpet to walk on and expand/botany, i'd like to think that most kudzu players would focus on making a hub over constantly expanding. Just give them more content in the future :^)
The big issue with kudzu is that it ties the peaceful green botanist with the player who wants to spread with the kudzu thats there to spread super fast and be super annoying with the player who doesnt want to do any of that, and also that if you want to get rid of the annoying green stuff that spreads everywhere you take both of those players out of the round permanently. That seems like itd just amplify this problem