Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
[PR] Disables kudzu people
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This pr comments out the code for kudzu infection occurring, all the code involved is maintained. Any death on kudzu will no longer transform people into kudzu people.

Why's this needed?
Currently kudzu people are both awkward and not fun for all parties involved. Frequently kudzu people log out due to the boredom of the role, and it can often lead to toxicity and self antagging when it comes to people dealing with kudzu. While many of these issues could be fixed with a very significant revamp of kudzu people, currently kudzu people have little to no benefit to the game, and until such a revamp comes it feels unfair to leave them in the game.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Ikea
(*)Kudzu people have been disabled, kudzu will no longer convert dead bodies into kudzu people.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
While I love playing Kudzu as "better Botany" or doing lil fun gimmicks with it.
I hate how players that join don't know anything and start spreading kudzu like mad (wich is fine, but it ruins my contained kudzu thing)
It's hard to get players even in RP to work together with Kudzu without one guy screwing it up.

Mostly what I do if I see kudzu as security and a kudzu person spawns. I defend them and try to get command to make a deal with them.
Then I mostly stick with them , defending them and containing them and it's fun for me. Keeping the anti kudzuers out, but if they go to far I smack them.

Eitherway despite RP respecting them and people having fun and me teaching them.
Even I know how many kudzu players give up, rampage and ruin it and turning it off wouldn't be the worst.

If anything if Kudzu didnt force convert people but allow people to decide to become Kudzu would fix many problems with it in classic, but overall... Kudzu's main problem is players are unwilling to learn the fun of Kudzu botany/medbay and prefer being some sort of "annoyance antagonist" Or even get ignored...

Turn it off and rework it... I will miss it, but it's for the better!
The game of getting rid of thing thats purposefully super annoying "Hey please leave a space for us!" "okay" then them realizing that kudzu is boring for most players so they break out and spread anyways wasnt even really fun the first time and especially isnt fun the seventh. Having peoples rounds be tied to a thing thats purposefully annoying just leads to a prolonging and needless reluctance towards getting rid of that annoying thing.
I'm for. Would also get rid of some weird bugs with it >:+)
I don't mind this, maybe we can bring it back when kudzupeople are actually fun to play
I still like the idea of the kudzu eating corpses. It should make AI maneaters instead or something.
This pr disabling kudzu people instead of removing them is very intentional, all this pr does is add eight characters of code that disables the code that makes people into kudzu people from occurring. If anyone wishes to rework/revamp kudzu people, they are more then willing to do so and the code is still there for them to have a good foundation to do so, that is not this pr however.
finally, no more grass people
I actually really like kudzupeople and like playing as one or dealing with them. Didn't realize so many people disliked kudzupeople. I think one of the problems is we dont have much info on them. Heck the most the wiki has on kudzu people is this unfinished page https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Studenterhue/Kudzuperson
I'm for disabling them at the current moment. Frankly, I think they'd do better as a full on goofy antagonist over this weird antag/halfnot stuff that it is right now, but they'd still need significant changes to do so.
Also in favor for disabling Kudzu people until it's more clearly defined what they are supposed to be.

I'd actually be more in favour of a more clearly Antag oriented Kudzu Person, just so there's no confusion. The amount of times i've seen people get angry at eachother because a Kudzu person was spreading benign Kudzu and a crewmember was destroying benign Kudzu it seems to be people don't really know what to think of Kudzu people.
FWIW I like Kudzu people, they are a third neutral party the the crew can’t just kill or bind with laws and I think that’s a valuable interaction worth preserving and and developing. The crew complaining they can’t murder their way out is telling, though kudzu people getting bored does need addressing.

Would prefer instead of disabling (either/or):

Neutral route:
- Add a prompt when converting so you can opt out (at the cost of your body being destroyed, this a syndie item after all).
- More wiki.
- More stuff to do that’s not murder.

Antag route:
- Give them full fledged antagonist status.
- Add a ghost prompt for all ghosts to choose who gets to become the kudzu person (like poltergeist) to limit self-antagging.
yeah kudzu people have never really bothered me, i'm sure there have been cases of them self-antagging and acting like dickheads but im sure here's a better way around it, like making benign kudzu spread onto regular kudzu and preventing it from overgrowing and being a nuisance, with it also providing a slight stamina buff/heal for standing on it even as a non-kudzu person

as metricduck suggested, there is very little to no documentation for rules regarding what to do/what not to do as a kudzu person
my issue with kudzumen is the obsession of certain crewmembers of WILLINGLY becoming one, which is really counterintuitive since theres practically not a lot to do until you piss off the crew and grow the kudzu so i find that its some sort of shitter attractor

with that mindset, it also doesnt help that kudzu spreads insanely fast and people who willingly die to facilitate that growth is a major pain in the ass to handle but i would be sort of digressing here

another thing is that its cloner lite, sure youre naked but you get revived and live as a slow ass grass husk albeit probably worse than death itself
while being a kudzuman, you are not an antag and that you also shouldnt combat your murderer yet despite it, it still feels incredibly jarring to die and lose your ability to be cloned normally and some people would just ignore it and fuck with people anyway
Kudzupeople are fun to be and I hope this does not go through

Anecdotally I haven't experienced any issues with folks being jerky and bad with it

Also re:commenting out instead of removing, we have version history, keeping it in the code but disabled is just bloat; if this does go through and someone wants to improve it later they can just retrieve the kudzu people stuff from a commit pre-disabiling