Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Certain job specific frequencies often go unused
In game there is a radio frequency for every department, however some of these often go unsued. Here's a list of all of them and how they can be improved:
  • Research: rarely if ever used, should be merged with medical, since research often aids medbay with chemicals and with that it would gain an actual purpose
  • Medical: as said above, it should be merged with science, Just like science, it is barely used
  • Security: one of the two department frequencies that actually gets used. The only change i would do is to merge it with command
  • Command: as mentioned above this channel should be merged with Security due to it not being used a lot. I cant think of any information that you would share in sec but not in command and vice versa
  • Engineering: the other frequency that is used as intended. No change needed
  • Civilian: Probably the most unused of them all, but i also have no idea how it can be changed for the better
I overall disagree here. They are used for specific purposes (like civilian is the frequency when you need a janitor) and these being highlighted differently is good.

I rather think that certain departments should have access to more frequencies. Like doctors and science should better communicate with one another, but still should have their own frequencies, since i don't want medical chat be bogged down by talk about artifacts or telescience. Just name it "pharmacy" channel and give it a different colour.

Like PDA messengers, their use is non-existant on classic, but the answer to that should no be to reduce the amount of options for communication.
Having Sec and Command merge would be a really bad idea.

for one it gives access to Head of Staff Antags to the sec frequency, as it is set up right now, to get access to sec comms, you need to ether get a mutation and empower it, spend 3 TP on a Wiretap, steal a radio from sec or loot one off a officers body.

A head of staff is going to be a lot easier to kill then an officer with there base loadout.
Reason why we have Research away from Medical is simple.
Research wants to do adventures and tele-sci and wants to be in contact with that alone.

Civilians are for Janitors, Chef, Bartender, Botany and Chaplain. (Staffies too)
It's the most quiet one indeed.. but it's what it is.
Civvie channel is for botany to coordinate shipping with the QM, food stocks to chef, and citrus to bartender. I think the HoP has access too? At least on RP, it gets a decent amount of comms

Medical gets used a decent amount, esp if you're coordinating with a good medbay team

Command is, on RP at least, great for coordinating with other departments, setting things up, and occasionally doing Fun Intrigue Shit by "forgetting" the HoS is on there big grin
not a fan with sec and command merging, sechopping would run far more rampant if this is the case

medical research is kind of fine, research is often dead anyway
i personally think everyone should have civie or civie just be removed in general, its barely even used and serves as private staffie comms
with how integrated science and medical are on goon, they should probably just get merged. Sec/command merge sounds awful in theory and would probably be awful in practice.
I agree that some channels are underused (Civ specifically) but big disagree on merging channels. Like people mentioned, i really don't want Research adventure chatter to clog up important medical chatter or something allong the lines.

You also need to take into consideration how the departements work, in Research and Medical for example, constant radio chatter isn't always necassery, often times your colleague is around the corner unlike for example Security where each officer might be patrolling on seperate parts of the station.
(07-08-2022, 10:31 PM)Oremir Wrote: You also need to take into consideration how the departements work, in Research and Medical for example, constant radio chatter isn't always necassery, often times your colleague is around the corner unlike for example Security where each officer might be patrolling on seperate parts of the station.

Wow this is a really good way to see it. Medical is generally able to easily communicate what's wrong to eachother due to how much of the equipment is in the medbay. And most of of sci's stuff is hanging around in one spot.
(07-08-2022, 10:38 PM)DimWhat Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 10:31 PM)Oremir Wrote: You also need to take into consideration how the departements work, in Research and Medical for example, constant radio chatter isn't always necassery, often times your colleague is around the corner unlike for example Security where each officer might be patrolling on seperate parts of the station.

Wow this is a really good way to see it. Medical is generally able to easily communicate what's wrong to eachother due to how much of the equipment is in the medbay. And most of of sci's stuff is hanging around in one spot.

That is "NORMAL" but in reality there are several medical stations on most stations where you can sit too. Aka medical checkpoints, especially in large stations.
This is so not everyone has to run to medbay...
You also forget the often unused job of EMT. Where someone is patrolling the station and responding to medbay calls, picking someone up and saving their lives then port-a-meding them to medbay if it's TRUELY URGENT! But atleast stablizing them on the spot.

While whenever I am doctor there is mostly only 1 or 2 doctors in medbay (including robotcists) if there is 3 or more... have one of you go to another station or roam. You don't need that much in 1 medbay.
(07-08-2022, 10:38 PM)DimWhat Wrote:

On a related note, I almost feel like adding an additional channel in mining wouldn't be a crazy idea. If only to make the inevitable rescue coordination a little easier on Oshan or on the mining z levels. Easier to look for a specific text color than search for a name and text color buried in a super crowded job grouping like engineering is.
(07-08-2022, 10:31 PM)Kotlol Wrote: That is "NORMAL" but in reality there are several medical stations on most stations where you can sit too. Aka medical checkpoints, especially in large stations.
This is so not everyone has to run to medbay...
You also forget the often unused job of EMT. Where someone is patrolling the station and responding to medbay calls, picking someone up and saving their lives then port-a-meding them to medbay if it's TRUELY URGENT! But atleast stablizing them on the spot.

While whenever I am doctor there is mostly only 1 or 2 doctors in medbay (including robotcists) if there is 3 or more... have one of you go to another station or roam. You don't need that much in 1 medbay.

The argument here being? ... because this still isn't convincing me collapsing R and medical is a good idea.
Merging Security and Command is a bad idea. Knowing security is actively gunning for you is a massive advantage that should be worked for, let alone forcing security to get creative in communicating in ways you can't hear them. Handing that to another four people that have more access than most at the get go and are generally trusted more than the local staff assistant sounds like a fun way to cause problems.
Medical used to be used a lot more before it got changed to be the same colour as the spammy intercoms 🤷‍♀️
please dont merge the frequencies. Civ and research comms might not be used often, but their mere existence is good and i like it