Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas and opinions on Chaplain as a Job!
The gist of the thread is to suggest features that could enhance the RP potential and job identity of the Chaplain.

Right now I think the chaplain is really just a valid-hunting machine that gets a lot of tools to kill all the baddies, but not many tools to actually be a chaplain or make an interesting religion, following, etc.

There's also some features that I just think are kind of scuffed, like bible healing. Random chances to heal or deal brain damage make the bible a really strong tool to just destroy some folks with, along with all the other tools. But the main issue i have is being an atheist cuts the brain damage down to five, which implies being religious gives a larger amount of brain damage, which is kind of scuffed. Talked on the forums and the main reason was balance due to atheists not having an upside to being hit with the bible, but from a glance it did not read like that at all and I think most people will generally not see the balance implications but the awkward differences between brain damage values. It's also just kind of weird to let the chaplain casually kill people by accident trying to heal them, cause then it kind of breaks some rules unintentionally.

A change I'd be interested in seeing is allowing the chaplain to re-skin their holy book to a multitude of religions, both based on reality and also pop culture figures like the king in yellow, and other similar icons. Right now the chaplain book is dedicated solely to the christian bible, which isn't a big deal, but it's kind of hard to say "i'm a follower of xyz" when you have the testament in your hands. Technically it's vague and doesn't state the religion, but the big cross kind of lives little to the imagination.

Anyway, I'm interested to see what opinions people have and what ideas everyone can share for Chaplain, and how people think chaplain as an actual job holds up. šŸ
I am fine with "Chaplain rewards" to change the bible/faith into something else skin wise as starters.

We just need someone to sprite different books then "the bible"
They all work mechanically the same from farting on it to super farting.

Maybe just flavor text differences. That's it.

But other wise NOTHING else comes to mind. Any chance you could make those books? I am fine with more flavor and design.. since as a chaplain main on RP, I tend to do all kinds of dumb religions. Even ones that won't fit any book criteria.
More religious paraphernalia would be great, we have: candles, pews, bibles, various outfits, chalk, ouja and scavengable loot (dagger, skull, ectoeyes, etc.).

Further ideas:
Altar (reskin an operating table?), incense, lecturn, censures, icons/statues, petals (I guess thereā€™s crayon), a stash of plain robes to outfit followers (can you fab?), offering bowls, rosarys, garlands, more precious things to guard/pawn, specific religious-themed artifacts (relics?), more paintings, cool golden cups (might exist already). Ironically these are mostly catholic-themed despite the opā€¦

It would be nice though if some of the props leant themselves away from ā€œmurder cultā€. Donā€™t get me wrong I love ā€œmurder cultā€, but I see quite a lot of ā€œmurder cultā€ and sometimes a break from ā€œmurder cultā€ can make seeing ā€œmurder cultā€ again just a bit more special.
graveyardGS use to convert the interior of the chapel into a Buddhist temple every few rounds. I think having even just a store closet with more furniture options to change the cathedral style into temples/synagouges/mosques would go a long ways in helping people with crafting more options for what they want their little chaplain place to be.

I wish there was even a way for it to be done at runtime based on maybe some preset religion pick/preference for whoever the chaplain is, but I doubt that's very possible, so an extra closet with more furniture options than just "pew" would be nice.

To a different note, my biggest thing I guess would be something on an old thread when people were going back and forth on what job would nicely fit the aesthetic of being guaranteed nonantag, and I would love if chaplain was reliably nonantag; they could take on more of a supernatural consultant role if they wanted, or maybe just keep the chapel open as a safe rallying place against vampires and wizards. I'm very big into the idea of the chapel as a rallying point, it makes for good narrative on RP when people do group there for disaster and the teamwork there also greatly helps in getting people out of disaster alive. I can imagine it would be a powerful force on normal rounds, and even more interesting if the changeling/werewolf/arcfiend manages to infiltrate that group. FWIW, I dont find the traitor chap contracts to be particularly compelling either, and I'm not really drawn to antag tools for chaps on other servers too. I know those items are a big point for people against having nonantag chaps, but I've always been a fan of making my chapel a place of order among station chaos, so having it as a greater community center type zone would fit with that preference.
I want chaplain to be able to do rituals like summoning a ghost into a body, even one that isn't theirs but idk about the whole meta aspect on that

would definitely use their heirloom item
(07-03-2022, 11:51 AM)Cal Wrote: I want chaplain to be able to do rituals like summoning a ghost into a body, even one that isn't theirs but idk about the whole meta aspect on that

yeah... I like the feature but I'm honestly pretty hesitant cause of classic. Classic makes everything harder to balance šŸ˜”
(07-03-2022, 06:36 PM)MomoBerry Wrote:
(07-03-2022, 11:51 AM)Cal Wrote: I want chaplain to be able to do rituals like summoning a ghost into a body, even one that isn't theirs but idk about the whole meta aspect on that

yeah... I like the feature but I'm honestly pretty hesitant cause of classic. Classic makes everything harder to balance šŸ˜”

While we do have changes and features for RP only and some for CLASSIC only.
I think giving some jobs completely different functions in game modes is a little too far...
the halloween rituals were actually an interesting take on chaplain - the large chapels most maps have made perfect sense and it was pretty thematic.

I think a further take on rituals would really open chaplain up to do more useful things than roleplay and valid hunt. Quirky space rituals that blessed areas/rooms would be neat. Circles of protection in chemistry to stop the tiles getting exploded, get the chaplain to build a healing aura outside the public market to attract customers, so on
there shouldnt be any more mechanical differences between rp and classic, and as stated above, the halloween rituals is a good step towards this idea
Rituals my beloved
I don't care if it was really unbalanced I just want them back

I think that's an aspect about Chaplain that would be more fun to explore: Their relationship with dead players in the form of ghosts

I think something that's fun about the way ghosts interact with something like the Ouija board vs using chair spinning and some kind of code is the uncertainty of trying to decipher what the ghosts are saying. It gives the personĀ the ghost player is interacting withĀ some room in making their own creative interpretation and running with it. Let's them kind of build off each other a bit more.

Maybe Chaplain could have more means of petitioning the ghosts for some kind of insights?

Maybe ghosts can sometimes pick a Magic 8 Ball answer? Select the next card the Chaplain draws from a deck?