Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Primal Genetics Trait
The primal genetics gene should be offered as a trait upon character creation, as one of the race traits. 
Additionally, player-controlled monkeys should inherit their character's hair colour as their fur colour, letting players more easily distinguish NPC monkeys from player monkeys.
I hear this point alot and I sorta agree, but I also know reasons against it and here's the simplest reason.
GRIEF.

Monkeys have alot of ways to cause grief. This is why genecists get harrased to change people into monkeys.
But technically becoming a monkey is suppose to be a "bad thing" since you can't talk and all.

But why can a monkey grief? Well... they can flip over tables and bars. So suddenly if alot of monkey players spawn in, the bartender will go through his shotgun shells within the 1st minutes cause MONKEYS WANNA MAKE FUNNY CHEMICALS!!
After that... they will grab tools and use the mail chute to go into command deck and steal the captains ID and cause more problems. Remember Monkeys can mail chut themselves no problem and fit in any disposal chute.

Also imagine all the monkey players just going around demanding translators, unless they start with it... but other wise.. it is a headache.

On RP i seen alot of respectable monkey players, but imagine every clown from now on being a monkey cause they can get lube easier and steal the ID faster for jokes.
If a player is griefing, that is not necessarily an issue with the race they are playing as - it is an issue with them and their behaviour. Additionally, player-controlled monkies should spawn in with a translator already equipped, as the test subject occupation does.
+1 to being able to spawn as a monkeigh and not late join as a test subject or hope genetics wont ignore me when I ask them for help.
(07-02-2022, 03:05 PM)JulyJade Wrote: If a player is griefing, that is not necessarily an issue with the race they are playing as - it is an issue with them and their behaviour. Additionally, player-controlled monkies should spawn in with a translator already equipped, as the test subject occupation does.

Alot of things got changed/removed due to excessive grief use.

There is a reason we don't have things like security borgs (from what I heard)

Anyhow... I am for the idea, but I await someone with more past knowledge to add to this.
Remember admins can ban every griever, but everytime the same thing is used to easy grieving/antaging gets changed in some way since people get tired of seeing it.

Anyhow... admins, mentors, veterans older then 3 years. Add to it for me please!
I think it is awful. Firstly, because it'd require map changes to protect important areas from the new mass of greytide monkeys. Secondly, that monkeys can't speak means worse roleplay and more just focusing on their own stuff. They can use translators sure, but those conflict with masks.

Also most Monkey gimmicks I see tend to revolve around being a nuisance to the rest of the crew, so I'd rather not see that become more common.
Totally neutral. I like monkies but I also know the issues that come with a small subset of the playerbase. Most people would be fine, 2-3 people would take it to rush hop round start to steal their ID and greytide super hard.
On the fence about this aswell, although i think a good portion of the playerbase will use this just to enhance their character/ funny gimmick characters or otherwise RP there's, without a doubt going to be people that use this to, like Momo said, greytide super hard.
You all make a fair point about greytiding. What if instead of being a character trait, primal genetics could be purchased with spacebux? This would prevent newer players who don’t have many rounds under their belt from going bananas, in addition to having the trait removed should they die or not escape - this would force players to purchase the trait again for a new round, and ensure that they play well enough to not get toolboxed to death or fuck around too much and miss the shuttle.
(07-03-2022, 03:05 AM)JulyJade Wrote: You all make a fair point about greytiding. What if instead of being a character trait, primal genetics could be purchased with spacebux? This would prevent newer players who don’t have many rounds under their belt from going bananas, in addition to having the trait removed should they die or not escape - this would force players to purchase the trait again for a new round, and ensure that they play well enough to not get toolboxed to death or fuck around too much and miss the shuttle.

I am more for this as this means good behaviour gives you monkey business. But how will it work over other genetics like Pug, Skeleton, Cow, Roach and Dino?
Probably overrides it, but yea.. buying it is A-okay with me, because now it TAKES TIME to get it.
I still have the grieving problems... but they are SIGNIFICANTLY less when I know it takes like 5k space bux.
Without monkeys jumping over the counter, we'll just do what we always do; grapple one of the handful of people at the hop line and use that to get over. Just as easy to see coming and only slightly more of a time investment (2-3 seconds tops). If we're worried about them hopping over things, why not just remove the feature if almost everyone doesn't like how we can grief with it? We have other easy methods to grief, we don't really need them to hop over things to be fun.

If the community had a choice between:
+ Being able to spawn as a chimp with a translator and no table jumping
+ Late join/genetics with the ability to jump tables

...I'm positive we'd have a landslide vote towards it becoming a trait and removing the jump.

Some people pick chimp because they want the desk jump, but most people do it because monkeys sound funny, look cool, and they're wildly cute in their little people clothes. If translators are a big pain in the ass, make them spawn as genetically/surgically enhanced monkeys. NPC monkeys already speak English out loud without translators when they steal shit, it wouldn't be stretch for NT to hire some of the really clever ones to work for them and get paid in bananas.
(07-03-2022, 09:14 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: Without monkeys jumping over the counter, we'll just do what we always do; grapple one of the handful of people at the hop line and use that to get over. Just as easy to see coming and only slightly more of a time investment (2-3 seconds tops). If we're worried about them hopping over things, why not just remove the feature if almost everyone doesn't like how we can grief with it? We have other easy methods to grief, we don't really need them to hop over things to be fun.

If the community had a choice between:
+ Being able to spawn as a chimp with a translator and no table jumping
+ Late join/genetics with the ability to jump tables

...I'm positive we'd have a landslide vote towards it becoming a trait and removing the jump.

Some people pick chimp because they want the desk jump, but most people do it because monkeys sound funny, look cool, and they're wildly cute in their little people clothes. If translators are a big pain in the ass, make them spawn as genetically/surgically enhanced monkeys. NPC monkeys already speak English out loud without translators when they steal shit, it wouldn't be stretch for NT to hire some of the really clever ones to work for them and get paid in bananas.

It would be funny that those with primate traits NOT get paid in credits.
Also you forget the "Fits in any chute abillity" but to be fair. I am fine with that for ONE REASON.
Even going through mail chutes is annoying but not the worst.
I personally am against taking Things To Do away from genetics
We didn't remove the mutant races when they became traits, did they? I haven't done genetics in a long time, I thought they didn't get removed or something.

EDIT: ^ I meant to say you'd still have research to do with it on top of turning people back to Human if need be, so Genetics wouldn't suffer all that much from this. If they didn't have a ton to do already, they wouldn't be glued to their screens for like an hour every shift. I feel like this wouldn't hurt them.
Let silicons murder the shit out of player monkeys for fun again and I'm sure we'll see less monkey greytiding.