• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Microbiology I: Biochemistry
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[rework][help wanted][add to wiki][WIP][input wanted]
About the PR
Design Document: https://hackmd.io/@XyzzyThePretender/H1oYQ8i9c
Developer Reference: https://hackmd.io/@XyzzyThePretender/HJm2Wciq5

This PR splits development from PR #8788 in order to facilitate feedback.
Biochemistry is a simple game system (compared to custom microbes) meant to provide ways to improve the station.
The Synthomatic is rebuilt around Biochemistry. The Synthomatic no longer produces pathogens, serums, vaccines, and antibodies.
Biochemicals are added. These reagents enhance the performance of certain objects and machines.
Biochemistry is not a complete replacement of pathology.

Below is a table of biochemicals and their effects.
These biochemicals are in continuous development. Their inclusion is not guaranteed.

| Name | Precursor | Effect (Subject to change/balancing) |
| -------- | -------- | -------- |
| Photovoltaic Cyanobacteria | Silicon | When applied to a solar panel, increments a permanent multiplier on the power output up to a limit. (+25%) |
| Swill-Reclaiming Microbes | Synthflesh | When applied to an occupied meatspike, adds more extractable meat. (+3 meat)
| Operational-Bioamplifiers | Copper | When applied to a tool recharger, halves the charging time. Can only be applied once. Boosts cell chargers and cyborg docking stations up to 2-3x charging rate.
| Dense Matter Autotrophes | Liquid Dark Matter | When applied to an RCD, improves the efficiency of all **construction** modes incrementally up to specified limits.
| Regenerative Synthreads | Carpet | On clothes (excluding eyewear, headsets, and masks), enhance relevant protection values incrementally to specified limits. (conductivity down, melee defense up, ranged defense up, minor explosion resistance up)
| Organic Sanitizer | Space Cleaner | When applied to any clothing, the clothing can no longer be stained. *This does not remove existing stains.*
| Alkane Catalysts | Napalm | When applied to a welder, changes the fuel use regime. The welder gains a 50% chance to bypass fuel consumption. If that roll fails, the fuel used may be reduced.
| Interlocked Nanotubes | Space Glue | When applied to an atmos pipe, x100 to pressure strength on first application. Immunity to rupture on second application.

Why's this needed?

Biochemistry will be the easier workflow of Microbiology and does not require knowledge or implementation of custom diseases.
Goonstation does not and probably will never have a complete system for machine and object upgrades.
Biochemistry provides a space for limited object enhancements without the need for spriting new modules or machine/tool variations.
Changelog

```changelog
(u)XyzzyThePretender
(*)Biochemistry added to the game.
(+)Biochemicals are special reagents that enhance objects and machines.
(+)The Synth-o-Matic now produces biochemicals instead of pathology stuff.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Hmm looks interresting,
Seems pretty interesting, i like the idea!
I really like the idea, but i would suggest to try to keep the biochemistry upgrades as modular as possible.

In that way, players could try to augment multitude of materials and objects with the biochemical components to find out interesting usecases. This would blend nicely into the other parts of the games system.

E.g. Instead of Photovoltaic cyanobacteria we take Bioluminous photobacteria: generates UV-light if used on surfaces and tools. This would enable the use for lighting paths, using solar panels indoors or boosting them outdoors, UV-boosting hydroponic trays without an UV lamp, burning vampires by coating their clothing.

Of course, augmentation like these would require much more invasive beaviour in other parts of the code (maybe even rework parts of it. Like how UV-lamps are integrated into the game with the example above)

But before we get fancy with the biochemicals like this, i really like the concept and would like to see it expanded upon. This was just some idea in which direction this could be taken.
lol interlocked nanotubes
I think double-applied Interlocked Nanotubes would make it too easy to bypass the downsides of pipeburns. Maybe make it extend the time before the next pipe can rupture instead?