HoS Application (Daniella Harperson)
Usual character name: Daniella Harperson
BYOND username: Lopdopgop
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Lopdopgop#6699

Recommended by (if applicable): No.
Goon servers you play: RP servers.

Reason for application: I personally think I'm ready for the beret, and I can handle the responsibilities handed to a HoS. I'm also just looking for feedback in general, as that can help me improve during future security shifts.

Security experience (300 word minimum): 
I started playing security very early in my time playing ss13. I sort of got into the same month I started playing. I really started to learn one shift as a security assistant. During that shift, Roger Clementine offered to teach me the ropes of sec. I think that was the main reason why I stuck with security for a while after that. I was taught the ropes early, by a wonderful officer. After that I spent many shifts alternating through jobs, normally playing a few security shifts every week.

This was while I was still playing security as Jimbob Motha. After a while, I started taking security work less seriously and I started goofing around on the job. That resulted in me wanting to stop playing security, since I never lived up to what a good officer should have been. Then, a week or two later, I wanted to get back into sec, since I had always loved it when I did my job correctly.

I thought that if I started playing again as Jimbob, I would probably have to give myself a more gradual change into becoming a better officer, since people don't just change overnight like that. I was also needing a new character at the time, so I created Daniella. Daniella is the only character that I've recently been using for security. Ever since I started playing as her, I've been improving in security, and I know more about what to do and what not to do.

Daniella has helped me learn that communication is key in a good security team. There are many times where there is little communication between members of security, so I always try to get people to start talking about how their patrols are going and what not. I unfortunately have not been able to teach a new member, but I plan to teach someone the ropes eventually, just like what Roger did to me when I was new.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Check out the wiki page regarding Space Law! It's useful for informing yourself of proper brig times and types of Space Crime!
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): We once had two traitors running the radio station. Me and another officer took a trip to the radio station to see what was going on. The two syndicates were chill, and they didn't try to kill us on sight. Overall they were great people and added a lot to the shift with the radio show.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I've always wanted to run some kind of class for the station, like what to do with contraband if you find it in the hall or what to do when someone is running through the halls with a katana killing everyone in sight!
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I've never been banned. I have been bwoinked several times for things I've done on the station.

Sorry for the colors messing up, no clue what happened there. Everything looked fine when I was writing it
neither here nor there on this really; a couple of finer points:

in my eyes you're still kind of green. I wouldn't mind seeing you go longer and this application come in a different cycle. generally I dont dislike your calls on stuff, there's some communication misses here and there, youre really diligent and kind for the most part, but I'd want to see that a little more consistently as well as you have the opportunity to take charge and make decisions when they're the kind no one really wants to make. that kind of separates hos ability from being a good officer, to me.

something else you just sorta have to be on yourself about as hos is how much metainfo you're letting into your in-game diet. whether we intend to or not, accessing other channels of information outside the game when concurrently playing DOES give us more that we have to substantially work to not acknowledge. and while I get streams and the greater community are fun especially when they're all centered on this one ongoing round, I do notice you've had a tendency to be drawn towards or act favorably to some players in those situations + knowingly retain some of what other eyes and ears have picked up and transmitted that you've seen. mostly as medical, but rarely as sec. that's gotta get curbed even though I know you're not doing it intentionally in a "with all this extra info I can win the game!" way
I enjoy playing with you, and you are a pretty good secoff. +1 from me.
One of the best damn sec officers I've had the honor of being a Detective with. Reliable, robust, and pretty knowledgeable. One of few who actually bother to check up on people in security. +1 from me.
(06-29-2022, 08:32 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: neither here nor there on this really; a couple of finer points:

in my eyes you're still kind of green. I wouldn't mind seeing you go longer and this application come in a different cycle. generally I dont dislike your calls on stuff, there's some communication misses here and there, youre really diligent and kind for the most part, but I'd want to see that a little more consistently as well as you have the opportunity to take charge and make decisions when they're the kind no one really wants to make. that kind of separates hos ability from being a good officer, to me.

something else you just sorta have to be on yourself about as hos is how much metainfo you're letting into your in-game diet. whether we intend to or not, accessing other channels of information outside the game when concurrently playing DOES give us more that we have to substantially work to not acknowledge. and while I get streams and the greater community are fun especially when they're all centered on this one ongoing round, I do notice you've had a tendency to be drawn towards or act favorably to some players in those situations + knowingly retain some of what other eyes and ears have picked up and transmitted that you've seen. mostly as medical, but rarely as sec. that's gotta get curbed even though I know you're not doing it intentionally in a "with all this extra info I can win the game!" way

I do agree with some points you've made here. I've never really taken an opportunity to be a leader of a security team, which is what a HoS is supposed to do.

I've also stopped giving myself extra information to work of off in a round (watching twitch streams, etc) like I was in the past. I realize now that that's really unprofessional (metagaming) and I'm glad you said something about that.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!