Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Medbay layout tweak.
Behold the core chunk of medbay:

[Image: gVtj036.png]

The surgery bay is most often used. The recovery bay is mostly ignored, and it's a cold day in hell when people remember the Cryo cells exist/there's an entrance to Genetics that the genetecists can actually see.

What I propose is basically rotating that chunk of medbay 90 degrees and separating it a little. (Stretch Pathology down slightly if need be to make room) Surgery bay takes up the top half of the block, a small hallway separating it and the recovery wing, and cryo clearly visible from inside surgey down by the break room. Wounded people get brought into medbay, moved over to surgery for most treatment, and then can either get shoved in Cryo for intensive care, left in the recovery cells for ???, or if they die on the spot, they're right next to genetics. Lazier people can just walk straight down and see the cryos to dump someone in and forget.

I basically want more people to remember the cryos exist.

Crude MSPaint example of what I'm envisioning:
[Image: JIy7hzf.png]
cyro is broken anyway afaik so I don't really even know why it's still in the game??
Klayboxx Wrote:cyro is broken anyway afaik so I don't really even know why it's still in the game??

Worked fine last time I used it??
Cryo works fine great, actually. Don't know what you're on about.

I absolutely agree with the OP.
Love it.
I would also like if robotics got a revise too.
I don't understand why robotics has windows to the north (who wants to watch people's brains being cut out?) and as it is it's a little awkward having the surgery table in the center.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:Cryo works fine great, actually. Don't know what you're on about.

I absolutely agree with the OP.

Oh, last I read cyro was broken as fuck and there weren't plans to fix it.

Either way that proposed layout is p good
I like this a lot. Cryo and genetics' other entrance are tucked away in that dark corner and it seems like this would improve the look and functionality of medbay. Hopefully this would remove the constant clutter of injured bodies and other people crowding around the one hallway from the pharmacy to robotics/genetics. Also adding another entrance to robotics would help...

Please try this layout!
From what I gathered, Cyro isn't broken per se, but it's about as useful as leaving someone next to a Medibot. They'll be healed, sure, but it'll take forever, and you don't even get the pleasure of seeing what the hell is going on around you. Even with the temperature in the gas loop in the double-digit range.
Zamujasa Wrote:From what I gathered, Cyro isn't broken per se, but it's about as useful as leaving someone next to a Medibot. They'll be healed, sure, but it'll take forever, and you don't even get the pleasure of seeing what the hell is going on around you. Even with the temperature in the gas loop in the double-digit range.
cryoxadone is one of the best healing reagents out there, with the caveat that it only works while cold. If someone is in critical condition, a trip to cryo can be life saving. especially since, as most people seem to forget, you can put your own reagents into the cryo tubes!!!

Cryoxadone not fast enough for you? Mix in some tricor and some pfd. That'll set them right as rain in no time!

Want them dead as shit? A cryo tube full of your favorite deadly poison will do you the favor of both killing its occupant AND hiding the body until you're ready to pop it out and give them an airlock-burial.

Honestly, the cryo tubes are criminally underused :o
I also strongly agree, with perhaps an additional tweak? Switch the positions of the Medical Director's office and the cryo chambers. The cryo chambers should be in front, since you use them to dump someone who can't be helped immediately. This way they'll be next to those sleepers that also never get used, so maybe this'll give them more attention by association as well. You could add a front door between the sleepers and the cryo chamber room.

It doesn't matter where the director's office goes, but organizationally it just makes more sense to put it next to the break room, I guess?

I also like that this design has more doors for the surgery bay. That can get pretty crowded.

But if someone's going to rearrange the medbay, I'd like to suggest adding a port-a-medbay receiving area. Somewhere visible, but surrounded by glass so the thing doesn't blow out the lights when it returns. And maybe give it some added spaces so the mechanics could build additional ones. I don't know if that's possible right now, or if there's a way to sync a remote to the pod. If not, my suggestion would be to make it so the pod and remote can be opened with a screwdriver, which gives access to a screen where an ID code can be entered into both. Once they match, you hit a button in the remote dialog box to sync them. Then the remote stores the pod's current coordinates (the return coordinates) so the game can find it easily.
I just threw this together, there's some rough areas, but it should give you a pretty good baseline? Also, with the new surgery area, you could probably stick the port-a-medbay in there pretty easily.

[Image: NewMedbay_zps2d80e511.jpg]

Basically, it's exactly what you asked for, with a couple tweaks. I divided up the quarentine rooms, and added sinks, to help isolate patients with deadly diseases. I split up Surgery into a surgical and a prep area. Honestly, I probably should have swapped the positions of the two, but I've already spent an hour on this, so... whatever.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:and added sinks, t.
the sinks are in a really, really weird place! I mean, why are they right by the door? Try imagining rushing through those doors in a hurry, or with a stretcher, or carrying something or...

just bad design.

There's plenty of room for them on that southern wall, no idea why you wouldn't put them there (unless they don't have a northern-facing sprite? In which case don't include them or shift the walls around or something)
Captain_Bravo Wrote:wordsimagewords
Looks great, needs the air injector though.
Considering space is needed, would bottom left near pathology entrance work?
The cryo cells are the perfect spot for crime or hiding when you are being chased. A more rational layout might make doctoring slightly better, but traitoring much worse.
There are tons of ways to hide things. I still say put the cryo chambers in front. If people don't check them, then they don't. Also, that design looks cramped with halls only 2-wide. I know space in that part of the station is pretty tight, but surely something can be done?