HoS Application - Archer "Jet" Bandog
Usual character name: Archer "Jet" Bandog / Alphonse Douglas Curtiss / Ideo Hartman (and sometimes Aeon)
BYOND username: Delta_Dav
Discord username (if you are on our discord): delta_dav#1411
Recommended by (if applicable): Nobody
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 + 4

⪧  Reason for application:
I must admit, I became quite curious about the HoS rank recently, when I started to play more as a security support character. The HoS has something that can lack in even the best security team : Organization, Communication, and Authority. The HoS Application is for Archer "Jet" Bandog and Alphonse Douglas Curtiss as NTSC. A other reason for this application is to have feedback on my security performance, so I can correct mistakes, and simply be better at the job. 

⪧  Security experience (300 word minimum):

I began playing security as Aeon Von Ludwig, as a sec assistant. I often stayed in the security HQ, putting on arrest when the officers asked. My grasp on space law was quite bad: I remember having trouble trying remember if Drugs was illegal. Even when I could play as a Sec Officer, I stayed as a security assistant for a couple of shift. First time I became a sec officer was… Difficult . I lacked communication and judgment mostly, and I was easily panicked and making many mistakes.

Still, playing as a security officer was fun. I do not hide that I often returned to sec assistant to have a better understanding of how security should react, how they should act, how they should communicate. I even made a lot of paperwork, paper notes. But during a round, I made a big mistake. I was so absorbed in the paperwork, the reports, that I was useless to help other security staff… I learned that there must be a balance; between the paperwork, communication and action. I also played a lot as detective.
I began playing Ideo hartman a bit later, mostly has a det. Detective was a perfect fit for me: Security, but not entirely security. It was a great start : I could actually help and learn more on the action side. I admit played detective… A bit too seriously : during a round, I took 20 picture of suspect / evidence and make 6 pages of paper report, 2 autopsy, and had 3 record of interrogation. I maintained this way of doing investigation, even has an officer.
In RP, I started to add some gimmicks, mostly with Alphonse and Bandog. For the First, I wanted to play a muscle like security officer, for robust training (I am still not robust today), but also for the fun of it. Alphonse was also a breath of fresh air, because his gimmick (I could change his way of speaking). And for the second, to try and play a security cyborg, to make the “perfect” security assistant and support for the rest of the team.

Playing both character made me learn a few thing : the importance of communication (with Bandog mostly) but also the judgment and stress control. I remember a round where I performed very badly. I was over stressed and took to much time to report to the rest of the team, and took to much time processing a mind slaved person. After this round, I understood that I must keep some simple gimmick, let the antags have also a great time, report faster to my teammates and controls my stress. Today, I am more calm,trying to speak first, act, and respond to escalation properly. 
I think its important too keep in mind that everyone must have a good time playing.

[b] [/b]⪧  Answer two or more of the following:

⊱   What advice would you give to other sec players?

Talk in the security frequency and report in detail what you are doing, what you noticed, and also where you are. The other officers and assistant can come for backup.
Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teammates.
On High population rounds, Its important to keep a balance amount of security on one case. There is no need for 4 officers at the same places for minor offense, but don’t send a lone officer talk to a potentially dangerous murderer.
Also, stay polite to the rest of the crew: Sec have many acces, but this is not a reason to arrive in the Operating Room mid surgery.
Security Borgs can be also a good way to train and assist. They are dangerously underrated.
(And you can open the sec hangars doors if you check the code before leaving, and then when you come back you can click on your pod, choose the "Open the Doors" option, type the Code, and the door will open. Many security member don't know this)

⊱   What was one of your favorite security moments?

Oh I have many favorite moment, so talking about one in particular is hard…
But since one of the best antag round involved security, and there respond, I will tell it.
 I played Archer Bandog, in his human form, has a traitor antag. The round was mostly RP driven, with an Evil AI controlling him. At one point, I took the roboticist hostage, asking to see her brother with a shotgun. Security was quick to come, with the HoS. One tried to baton on sight, but one shot of shotgun was enough to make him step out. There was a pretty fun negotiation, before the hostage died. After a little shoot out and short lived escape, I got caught. Security was effective, with good communication. When they caught and interrogated me, the RP with the officers and HoS was perfect, even if there was other emergency. This round was so good, it indirectly impacted the lore of all my characters, and the great security response was one of the reason why.

⊱   What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

-Being able to search a security record Faster on PDA.
-More option for Security Borg (being able to change modes on securitron)
-More criminal status for sechud : Under Surveillance (when they are acting weird, but did no crime, marked with a S), Questioning (Not a arrest, they just need to get interrogated + Securitron will tell them to go to go to security, marked with a Q), Missing (If someone went missing, the corps can be marked with a M + Securitron will notify when found)
-Space GPS in the lockers.
-Remove those old recharger rack never used for taser, or let them accept other taser like weapon.

⊱   Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

In a full security team, my role will be more has support, intel gathering. Communicate what I see, what I do. Organization is key. Ill try to patrol some place that other officers don’t patrol in so we can cover more space. If a Officer makes a arrest, ill stay in the background ready to help. And when I do it, ill communicate my action, the context, charges and location. When not on patrol and on desk, ill put on arrest, try to make more developed sitrep and global security report, and be ready to intercept if there is an alert.
If alone, I will not panic, even if there is a high population crew. Patrol will be done more, and ill try to connect more with the other department. Ill still make report, in case other officer joins later. If the situation is turning chaotic, ill try to make sure that the rest of the crew is safe, and don’t attack directly. Oh and Beepsky on detain mode.

[b] [/b]⪧  Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

⊱   Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Ill make a short poem in french. Please note : Im bad at this.

[b] [/b]⪧  Le Cauchemar du Criminel.

Les couloirs sont vides.
Le vil criminel est seul.
Mais la justice est vive.
Le truant prend peur.
Il court, fuit vite.
Mais la justice capture.
Et son crie, est victorieux :
“YOU CAN’T OUTRUN A RADIO."

⊱   What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

I run 2 gimmick :
Alphonse Douglas Curtiss is a mute clone. He must use some Personal AI – or some speaking program to talk located in his headset.
There are :
-The CAS system, a Combat assistant AI very limited, and derived from a much powerful (and evil) AI. When he talks, its robotics, harsh, and don’t do emotion.
-Unit GALAXY, a friendly badly codded AI, who tells jokes, makes puns, speak RANDOMLY loud, but still can be an asset.
-Personal Unit Jet Bandog, its simply Bandog, helping out Alphonse, his best Friend
-CASSANDRA , an Evil and ultra powerful AI who was only used when Alphonse rolled antags role. (But separated with him and is now a full fledged character played by an other player)
-The Megalyth System, a Zero Personality AI (unlike the others) coded by a Podbay Commander and part timer roboticist who tryed to reproduce Alphonse natural voice by scanning is brain but… Is very Buggy and limited.

And Archer Bandog, who’s current body is now a semi-working Bioshell. Semi- working because he use a wheelchair.
When in a metal body, Archer Bandog is Jet Bandog, a security Borg. Both support sec team with security report, dispatch and updating files.

⊱   Draw a picture!

[Image: Bandog_-_Alphonse_with_HoS_-_NTSC_drip.p...height=676]

⪧ Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Never Banned
I see Ideo and co almost daily, whether on the force or as crew and it is always a pleasure to interact with them.
A model officer: very communicative on the comms, always willing to teach newer officers, and is the most helpful broborg I've ever had on the team, as he is keeping track of everything, all whilst working on a case and updating records.
A big +1
... And his call, victorious :
"You can't outrun a radio"...
I've seen Delta_dav improve and grow over the past few months, and i believe they've made great progress! They are dedicated to the rp, fun to talk to, and value discussion over fighting. However, sometimes its easy to lose yourself in the rp and miss some important events happening around the station that should warrant your attention, but you did say in your application you've been working on that aspect so i'm not too worried.
Archer is communicative on the radio and happy to share reports of the current situations to the team since their shtick is generally record-keeping. I've also seen them treat antagonists fairly and respectfully, never abusing their power or being dismissive of other's intentions. I'd love to see you take the reign once in awhile, to see how you perform in the high-pressure environment that comes with having to lead security on a busy shift!

My overall feelings are positive, and i'm certain you'll keep on improving. A +1 from me.
im torn on this. I really really like the characters and you as a player, I have some fond memories of playing dead body the clown and aeon taking the time to revive and talk to me.
you mentioned working on getting better at not getting lost in the rp and that's one of my concerns addressed and handled I think.
my other concern though is that you will defend very hard for your metafriends even when they're an antag and you arent (sometimes even when you're an officer). and this is beyond the scope of just team arguments about punishments or how to treat the in-game consequences around certain players because of whatever greater lore they imagined.

I am thinking particularly of one round I played his and you were a roboticist with a friend who tried to frame me as someone discriminatory against silicons over general comms, which you participated in this. there is an uncomfortable rule 4-treading line that I believe anti-silicon sentiment can take, so the charge of me treating them like toys and whatnot for giving them the equality law wasnt one I felt was warranted or in particularly good taste especially since I made it clear at some point on general radio i wanted you two to stop talking about it.

this isnt like, the biggest deal to me, on its own. my particular problem I guess is this occured two weeks after a round where the same person charged me with being ableist which spun into a 60-minute shitfest on me; and here too, as bandog, you implicitly believed your metafriend in that I was bullying them for a disability versus that I was information gathering as a security officer and a member of your team.
I've still seen partiality to the same recurring characters, and not only just from you, but to say you play into it either knowingly or unknowingly captures my biggest concern at this time regarding your candidacy for hos.
(06-29-2022, 02:16 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: im torn on this. I really really like the characters and you as a player, I have some fond memories of playing dead body the clown and aeon taking the time to revive and talk to me.
you mentioned working on getting better at not getting lost in the rp and that's one of my concerns addressed and handled I think.
my other concern though is that you will defend very hard for your metafriends even when they're an antag and you arent (sometimes even when you're an officer). and this is beyond the scope of just team arguments about punishments or how to treat the in-game consequences around certain players because of whatever greater lore they imagined.

I am thinking particularly of one round I played his and you were a roboticist with a friend who tried to frame me as someone discriminatory against silicons over general comms, which you participated in this. there is an uncomfortable rule 4-treading line that I believe anti-silicon sentiment can take, so the charge of me treating them like toys and whatnot for giving them the equality law wasnt one I felt was warranted or in particularly good taste especially since I made it clear at some point on general radio i wanted you two to stop talking about it.

this isnt like, the biggest deal to me, on its own. my particular problem I guess is this occured two weeks after a round where the same person charged me with being ableist which spun into a 60-minute shitfest on me; and here too, as bandog, you implicitly believed your metafriend in that I was bullying them for a disability versus that I was information gathering as a security officer and a member of your team.
I've still seen partiality to the same recurring characters, and not only just from you, but to say you play into it either knowingly or unknowingly captures my biggest concern at this time regarding your candidacy for hos.

I should have replied sooner here, sorry.

I am taking this feedback very seriously, and I am now actively working to correct those issue. I must admit that if I knew sooner that those issue are part of my behavior, I wouldn't even have made a HoS application. 
I am also thinking how I can correct this behavior. For the first issue you talked about, the time I was a roboticist : Its true that I have strong opinion about silicon. I will tone down a bit, or even, make a character scared of silicon. For the second issue, I am already working be more being more neutral, even if they are friend.
I must admit that for the example you gave, I would have still reacted the same, even if there was no meta-friend and if they were a complete stranger : At that time and at the moment when it append, I was scared it was legit bullying.
Still, I shouldn't have reacted that way, sorry again for that round.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!