HoS Application - April Malysa
Usual character name: April Malysa/June Malysa/Stanislaw Malysa 
BYOND username: Flyingcow01 
Discord username (if you are on our discord): doaads#0098 
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A 
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 and 4.

Reason for application:

I have recently noticed, that during many rounds, when there is no Head of Security on board, security teams on RP servers lack coordination. I believe that with my current experience in the department I could help with this problem.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I have started my adventure with security almost two years ago and it quickly became my favourite job on Goonstation. It took me quite some time to fully learn what is expected from a good security officer on an RP server. I believe the quality of the security team on a station will have the most impact on most rounds, especially for antagonists. That’s why I want to share some of my experience and knowledge here. 

Communication – This is probably something that matters the most to me when playing security. Coordinating a large team can only happen when everyone stays on the comms constantly. Every arrest, every ticket should be reported to ensure that all the officers have full information and awareness of the situation. That is what I always try to do myself. 

Roleplay – As I almost exclusively play on the roleplay server, I want to focus on this aspect a lot. After playing security for a while, I learned that the right approach towards antagonists will make the round way more enjoyable for both us and them. I always try to play a game of cat and mouse with them. I allow things to escalate slowly, while keeping a close eye on the most suspicious people to try to discover their intentions. I usually try to play along with any antag gimmick there is, as long as doing that isn’t harmful to the station. 

Punishment – When I started playing as an officer, I always kept the space law book open at all times, so I could learn all the recommended brig times for common offences. I soon realised that brigging someone for ten minutes for corporate treason might not be a good idea in practice. We, as security, need to remember that the person we’re dealing with is usually just a player trying to have a good time. Because of that, I try to always keep my brig times reasonable, and only resort to executions in extreme cases. 

Teaching – Over the years, I have also gained a lot of experience in training new assistants and officers. I always enjoy showing the ropes to new players and do my best to ensure that they understand all the basics.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • As stated above – communication is key. You need to keep in touch with other officers to have a good and coordinated sec team and this cannot be stated enough. 
  • Focus on your job! - If you see a wounded person or if you are wounded yourself, get to medbay instead of healing yourself on your own. Try not to abuse the access given to you by working in other departments and doing things that don’t fit your job description as an officer or a sec assistant. 
  • Make sure every call is answered. - If you are on a very interesting case that already has more than enough officers on it, think about stepping out and working on something else. I often see minor cases getting overlooked, because too many officers decide to stay on it for no real reason.
What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
  • One of my favourite sec moments was definitely during a Nuclear Diplomacy RP event that was happening around 6/7 months ago. I had a lot of fun roleplaying as security in this scenario and it gave me a lot of experience, since as I am mainly playing on RP, I don’t often see nuke ops.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
  • When I’m a part of a full team, I usually let my guard down a bit and usually patrol the station a few times and talk to some of my crew and team members. I try not to be too serious and usually roleplay more. However, when I am the only security officer around, things usually get more stressful. I do my best to pay my full attention to what is happening at the station. At these times I usually give out harsher brig times and spend my full energy on trying to make the station as secure as possible without dying in the process
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
  • One of the best gimmicks I took part in was definitely a security donut shop we decided to start during a calm shit. When we weren’t dealing with crime, me and another officer would dress up in diner clothes and serve the crew with delicious donuts, served to them with an uplifting ticket. 
  • Also, I’ve recently ran a gimmick in which, as a changeling detective, I stole the HoS’s equipment and disguised myself as Shitty Bill and got everyone to believe, that I was the constantly drunk and hungover head of security. Everything went well there... until Shitty Bill decided to invite an officer to his office to eat them. After that, an all-out hunt for him has begun.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None

B-33
April's pretty good and solid. There were a few times I wish you talked more that I think were because you were absorbed in an individual RP, but you're a consistent presence and fair to all. Outside the few exceptions, you give a lot in RP and really set up for escalating stakes too.

+1 from me, just dont think of changing your sec fashion anytime soon, I like it a lot ;+)
Experienced, fair, cool, capable of leading a team and RPs really well. I agree with the fashion thing as well, never change that and I think you are good to go.

+1
Sure, i'l give this a +1. I see you around enough, you're a nice responsive member of the Sec Team although i do wish i had the chance to talk to you more.
I think Malysa is definitely deserving of the hat. You approach people in a fairly level headed manner which is pretty nice, +1 for you
+1 Very calm and reserved officer, the beret is yours if I have anything to do about it.
April is a reasonable, cool-headed officer that i really enjoy having around. They're friendly and fair, and generally look out for their colleagues. I'd like to see you lead a little more, but otherwise i'm sure you'll make a great hos.

+1 even though they copied my hatwear choice.
I've never had a bad interaction with April. Normally she's actually one of the better officers on the team, from what I've seen.

+1 from me
I've seen April around security for a long time, and they've always been cool, collected, communicative and organised. A great officer to have on any team, and can be trusted to show leadership and organisation when there's no head available. They work well with antags, giving room to breathe and making sure everyone involved is having a good time. They have a great attitude to have on the team and are friendly and welcoming to newcomers and longer players alike, and are happy to show someone how to do something or teach them.

Definite +1 from me, very cool fashion too
+1, Experienced officer that knows the job. Absolutely deserves the beret
April is a good and communicative officer, that I've observed to lead the team even in the absence of an HOS, and doing some very good jod doing it.
+1, and put that shiny new gun in the belt slot
I can't say I really see you lead or take charge as sec, which is something I very much like to see in prospective HoS'. That said, you're very reliable, and I can't recall you ever losing your cool. I imagine April would probably do fine with the responsibility of being an HoS.
April is always a treat to have on the team. I know I can depend on them to do a great job. They communicate well, are efficient, and fair with the Antagonists, and really fun to have RP with.

Key thing in your Application I noticed was your comment about making sure every call is answered, and about how Security should be stepping out on situations that they aren't really contributing much too in order to work on other tasks and respond to other calls that can be a lot more pressing. This isn't something I often see discussed or mentioned, so mentioning it here shows that you have a good eye for this kind of thing.

+1 from me!
I've seen April a few different times, when not as an HoS, and as an HoS, to even when I was just an officer. April puts in effort to their RP, and gives space for antags to grow and have their moment. They've never come across as over-bearing, and overall have a very good patience from what I've seen. Along with all of this, they even are rather fun to RP with. 

An easy +1 from me!
They're a level-headed player who knows their stuff when it comes to security. I think they'll do well as HoS +1