Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disarm the nuke by hand (Hurt Locker SS 13 Style)
I'd love it if you could bust out the bomb disposal gear and actually have a go at disarming the nuke. There should be a red and blue wire. There should be one that you have to cut. There should be dire consequences for getting it wrong.
This would be great. Instead of the syndicate stealing the nuke disk and worrying about shitlords camping the station they would have to smuggle the bomb onto the station and the crew would have a chance to disarm it.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:This would be great. Instead of the syndicate stealing the nuke disk and worrying about shitlords camping the station they would have to smuggle the bomb onto the station and the crew would have a chance to disarm it.
i honestly don't understand why this was removed
you used to have to bring the nuke onto the station but now half of the syndie's job is done for them
blowing up a nuke on your own shuttle that's far away from the station doesn't make sense
actually, heres how it should go
1) There would still be a nuclear auth disk to make sure the syndies have a reason to shoot up the station
2) You would bring the bomb to the station, possibly in a pod, and then have to weld and bolt it down somewhere (like the singularity bomb)
3) You would bonk the nuke with the auth disk to set the timer. The timer would give the crew one last chance to stop the nuke (if they couldn''t find and intercept it before.) Ideally the syndies would try to take over telescience and use it to escape directly to the syndicate shuttle (any pursuing crew members would get killed by sentry guns on the syndie shuttle)
4) Syndie shuttle would be on a different Z-level from mining or the station, and the nuke would only destroy mining and the station, so the syndicates have an incentive to make a daring escape. They could use syndie pods or the teleporter (although they would robably have to set this up before arming the bomb.
The nuke should definetly have a longer timer seen as some nerds can blow it up 1 minute into the round, this would encourage some prework, perhaps sabotaging a few doors so that people can't rush into it. It would also encourage security to run and put on those bomb suits in the armory as they have time to do so.
Regards the OP, it should definetly be able to disarm it via hand. Something that would really easy to implement is just have the nuke have a maintenance panel, most of the wires are duds bar 3. Cutting 1 will bring the timer down to 5 seconds enough for the poor security to bolt it, but not enough for them to escape the blast (perhaps enough for them to survive, depends on the armor rating of them bomb suits), cutting the second may cause radioactive waste to leak (more use for anti-rad medecine is good), and finally cutting the latter will safely disable it. 3 options, 1 awful, 1 pretty bad, 1 good.
You guys are talking about two very different nukes.

Please specify which one you are referring to.
Embolism Wrote:You guys are talking about two very different nukes.

Please specify which one you are referring to.

I thought the peacekeeper was talking about the nuke on the station, everything I said is aimed at the nuke at the station. The nuke on the syndie shuttle can be deactivated my simply toggling it off.
Sundance Wrote:I thought the peacekeeper was talking about the nuke on the station, everything I said is aimed at the nuke at the station. The nuke on the syndie shuttle can be deactivated my simply toggling it off.

That's my impression too. The station nuke can also be turned off however.
There should be three wires on the bomb (station nuke). If you're the HoS, due to your intensive bomb training, you can single out one of the bad wires. If you're the detective, you can use your super detective skills to slowly figure out which wire it is. This time would be just a bit under 1 minute so that he has time to find the bomb. This would require making the lowest set time for the nuke at around 5 minutes.
Like I said, it's already possible to disarm the nuke, and it is a very simple affair. You don't even need to be near the nuke to do it.
Whoops, yes I meant the one on the station.
Quote:Re: Disarm the nuke by hand (Hurt Locker SS 13 Style)
Postby Embolism ยป Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Like I said, it's already possible to disarm the nuke, and it is a very simple affair. You don't even need to be near the nuke to do it.

I do know it is possible to disarm the nuke via terminal, but it'd be cool if it was possible to use bomb disposal gear to stop it also as a last resort. Of course, it should have a decent probability of failing. I think having a guy or a bunch of guys suit up and try to disarm the bomb shouting "WHICH WIRE? WHICH GODDAMN WIRE! AAARGH!" would be a lot of fun (FUN).

As the traitor, getting a bunch of sec/heads funnelling into an area which usually has low traffic would allow for some awesome traps to be built.
Nuke wires suggestion

Wire 1: Disarm wire

Wire 2: Ten seconds wire (speeds up the nuke to 10 seconds, you better hope your next wire is the disarm)

Wire 3: Blows up the nuke
My two cents for immersion:

1) Nuke team goes into station

2) Hilarity ensues

3) Nuke disk is captured

4) Nuke team delivers disk to nuke and arms it.

5) Nuke teleports to random location on station with 30 seconds left on the clock.

6) Message of Nuke teleportation is sent to everyone. ("Unknown Nuclear device detected at Relay Station 54")

7) SHIT SHIT SHIT WHERE IS THE NUKE GOTTA DISARM panic mode ensues.

8) If nuke is disarmed, the crew wins. If the nuke goes off the syndicates win.
Honestly, I kind of like that. It would drastically reduce the conflict over when it's ok to hit the syndicate shuttle, it would add a lot more fun to the end of a nuke round, when traditionally everyone just pisses and moans and gives up, and it would give even more reason for the syndicate to have at least one infiltrator agent. He gives his life to defend the nuke when it arrives on the station, while the crew tries to invade the room and start snipping wires.

Maybe you could make it so once the nuke is armed, all Syndicate Pinpointers begin pointing to the spot where it will appear, before the 30-second teleport. Gives operatives a chance to attack and secure the area, gives enterprising crewmembers an incentive to steal a pinpointer and prepare a bomb defusal squad in advance.