Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[RULE CHANGE] Make overrides and precedence no longer apply to AI laws.
(06-22-2022, 12:16 AM)BatElite Wrote: Since pedants are going to be pedants, I'm thinking the best way to implement this is to replace the precedence/override wiki clauses with a "Laws cannot change the [content? wording? interpretation?] of other laws" clause. Make the intent explicit.

Without that, I suspect people are just going to try and find other ways around the specific wording. "Laws 1 and 2 are null and void" or similar.

More like: A lower ranked law contradicting a higher ranked law is to be ignored.
Since I believed the idea is to replace the weird legalese retroactive law wording with simple order of laws. So higher laws can cause lower laws to be ignored but not vice versa.
(06-22-2022, 04:54 PM)Decarcassor Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 12:16 AM)BatElite Wrote: Since pedants are going to be pedants, I'm thinking the best way to implement this is to replace the precedence/override wiki clauses with a "Laws cannot change the [content? wording? interpretation?] of other laws" clause. Make the intent explicit.

Without that, I suspect people are just going to try and find other ways around the specific wording. "Laws 1 and 2 are null and void" or similar.

More like: A lower ranked law contradicting a higher ranked law is to be ignored.
Since I believed the idea is to replace the weird legalese retroactive law wording with simple order of laws. So higher laws can cause lower laws to be ignored but not vice versa.

My suggestion was in addition to number precedence, since that's already the default
As a pretty regular AI player (and one of the more power-gaming ones), some thoughts:

- Having clauses like 'this law takes precedence' being ignored is fine, and not inconsistent with how you have to ignore lower laws asking you to kill everyone.
- Changing timings to allow for faster law modification is fine (and has already been done)
- Having an 'update' button or a buffer between when the laws are modified and when they take effect is useful for keeping borgs out-of-the-know but won't stop an AI who has a viewport on their AI upload. However, this is fine because you only have so many viewports and people sometimes forget to look at them.

Idea is good, things are being done to make it better. Make this change pls, I hate interpreting circular law dependencies and pedantics about the word 'overwrite' and 'override' and 'removes'. Fucking get rid of it.
As someone who likes giving the AI creative writing prompts as gimmick laws with clauses to ignore law 2 in regards to the subject matter, not allowing this on freeforms would be a major letdown