Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Science Fabricators
Title, they would replace General Manufacturers that are commonly found in Science with a new type that has some items from the Medical Fabricators and some unique stuff.

My ideas for the list:

• Basic Tools (Screwdriver, Wirecutters, Wrench, Crowbar, Welding Tool, Multitool)
  • Basic Emergency Equipment (Flashlight, Fire Extinguisher, Breath Mask)
  • Basic Science Clothes (Science Jumpsuit, White Shoes)
  • Advanced Science Clothes (Labcoats, Biosuits, Gas Masks) Note: These aren't usually able to be fabricated, but I think it'd be interesting to add them, if the proposed permeability changes go through, probably require some different materials for the biosuits. For the Gas masks I'd for sure add some non-standard mining materials, maybe fibrilith?
  • Test Subject equipment (Gown, Blindfolds, Muzzle) Note: It's annoying have to rely on the map to get equipment for testing stuff on monkeys. Kondaru gets blindfolds but Cog1 doesn't. 
  • Dissection Equipment (Scapel, Surgical Scissors, Hemostat, Saw, Suture, Enucleation spoon) Note: Again, sometimes maps have surgical tools, sometimes you just get a surgical coffee table. Could potentially make these hidden items, as the RD generally is the one that's starts with those in Sci. 
  • Cannisters (Fluid and empty gas)
  • Chemical Patches
  • Hidden Items (Metal Sheets (for pipebombs), Staple guns) Note: No idea what else to add.

Thoughts?
Doesn't sound like a bad idea for the most part. Science gets a lot of this stuff already and also have a normal fabricator on a couple maps. Though I'm softly disagreeing on surgical tools since medbay is right next door usually.
(06-17-2022, 10:45 AM)DimWhat Wrote: Doesn't sound like a bad idea for the most part. Science gets a lot of this stuff already and also have a normal fabricator on a couple maps. Though I'm softly disagreeing on surgical tools since medbay is right next door usually.

Plus there are makeshift tools.

I mostly want it for the blindfolds and gowns, so that I can dress up the monkeys while making a clone army. And so that science has a neat fabricator of their own.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/9206
I liked this idea so I made a PR.
I worry this will further encourage scientists to be reclusive in their department and not interact with others.
Science fabricator not being able to print fire extinguishers anymore is not good, science needs that shit, it's always on fire!

Personally I'll miss screwdriver+cowbar+wrench+wirecutters as well. Crowbar for firelocks and screwdrivers/wrench for making/breaking igniter assemblies are pretty valid uses.

(They used to have 5 glass too but for balance purpose I imagine it's fine to lower it down to 2)

[Image: 4yyu52.png]