HoS Application - Red (Red Roberts / Johnny Truant)
Usual character name: Red Roberts / Johnny Truant
BYOND username: Data_err0r
Discord username (if you are on our discord): DreadPirateRed#1632
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Morty / Sylvester

Reason for application:  I've seen first hand how much a HoS can improve a shift for both security and the antags, and I'd love to help and be part of that. HoS' change the entire dynamic of shifts with their presence, mentoring new security, helping keep the dynamic between antags and sec in a good place (especially on RP!) and I can safely say nearly every shift I've seen with one was improved by their presence. They not only guide security, but have a ton of sway in the tone of the shift in general. A good HoS can take what would be a miserable experience and keep it on track and help players learn and improve. When playing security without one there has been many times I wish we had that authority figure to help guide , and I believe having more HoS' players is always important. I love this game, I love this community and I would like to be that presence more often than just when I can fit it in on a friday. 

Security experience (300 word minimum): I've been playing this game for a few years now, and security is the main role I always come back to. I've also been playing HoS on mentor Fridays when possible. I joined the security team pretty much as soon as I could, and security and clown were the only roles I really played for the first 3 months I was on Goon. I greatly enjoy the camaraderie you get from playing with a security team. Seeing the familiar faces and remembering the RP and experiences you've had with them is amazing and part of what hooked me on this game in the first place. The mentoring you can do with a security assistant or even a newbie officer is also a great part of the role. Seeing a new officer come up from being a assistant to a main stay officer is a treat every time. 

When I first started playing, I found security to be the most understandable role. "You are here to protect the station, stop bad guys!"... or so I thought. I quickly found out there was much more to the role than I realized, and I fell in love with it. The back and forth of being kind to the antags, letting them have fun, and getting deep RP with them is amazing. I definitely didn't quite get the concept of being kind to the antag right away, but I had many friendly faces guide and teach me. So many players helped me improve, from having HoS' take me under their wing, officers stand behind me and guide me on interactions to simple LOOCs just explaining when I messed up. I like to think I improved pretty quickly as an officer and got an understanding of the right tone to have when interacting with other players, antags and non-antags fairly quickly.

As I got more experienced, and saw old faces show up less and new faces appear I tried to take on a mentor role whenever I could. I try to explain mechanics and how to interact to new officers and assistants. One thing I've learned is how important communication is. I've tried to always encourage strong communication with the team, and make sure to always be communicating whats going on around the station. I try to check in regularly with my team and make sure everyone's safe and in the loop. I try to reinforce to officers to check in, to put their trackers on the table and to call for backup when in danger. I've found myself on the other side of the LOOCS now, explaining to newbies that they should try and talk to players rather than go straight to arresting, not to be too violent, not to perma brig, and all the other lessons we all learn as we go.

If I had to hazard a guess, around half my shifts are probably security at this point. I've had many memorable experiences in security. Some random examples are:
  • Watching a cultist sacrifice people until a portal appeared, doom music blasted and zombies appeared. Then frantically trying to get staff to the shuttle safely after!

• Having a shift long RP with an alien creature who was just trying to understand the station and humans, trying to protect it from blood thirsty staffies and newer officers, and eventually having it become hostile and consume much of our team after being attacked by an officer and feeling betrayed.

• Long talks sharing cigarettes with officers on quiet shifts, fleshing out backstories and making each other laugh.

• Taking a Sec assistant under my wing as detective, making him my "Junior detective" and teaching him the ropes of being a hardboiled, drunken, detective. Ending up drunkenly stumbling upon a stolen torpedo with him while searching for booze clues and stopping a possible bombing

• Teaching a clown vampire the magic of friendship (And bloodbags), and having him later save my life from another antag

• Multiple shifts of desperately dragging staff members and officers to the shuttle, and the moment of relief when you get them through the door way just as it takes off.

What advice would you give to other sec players?:
Never forget the players on the other side of the screen. This isn't a single player game or a competition.

When interacting with other officers, be kind and a team player. Communicate with them, teach them, RP with them and don't forget we're all here to have fun. If someone isn't "robust" enough for your taste, or makes a mistake that isn't a reason to treat them poorly.

When interacting with antags, remember it's a game, and a social one at that. Let them RP and escalate when on the RP server, don't end their round instantly just because they made one mistake. Don't be cruel or vindictive, enforce the law as needed and keep the round fun for everyone as much as possible. This doesn't mean just letting them run rampant though. An antag rampaging ends everyone else's fun as well!

Don't forget the other players beyond the antags and the security team. Don't ignore other players looking for help, even if they're not exactly security problems. That miner who got stranded will be happy to see you arrive and remember it. Cook some donuts with your baton for a chef and watch him marvel. You're not above other players just because youre in higher responsibility role. 

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one):
One of my favorite security moments was from the OTHER side as an antag. It was a test round with the blowgun, and I had spent the entire round trying to cause suspicion as the clown by changing my ID and appearance and poisoning or attacking people. When they finally caught me, rather than just arrest me and take away my gear they RP'd with me asking why my usual innocent and silly clown was doing this. I revealed myself to be a syndicate spy who replaced my clown, and we had a long RP of them demanding to know what happened to the real clown, and mourning his loss. It ended in a dramatic execution of me (agreed to in LOOC!) and was an incredibly memorable shift for me. It was a great example of how good security improves the round for the antag too, and I greatly appreciate the interaction. 

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
I'd very much like to see detectives role fleshed out a bit more. I've seen a lot of confusion about what their actual role is on the shift. I've seen players say they're just another officer, that they should never act as an officer, that they shouldn't even be part of the security team, that they need to be more active in the security team and so many other opinions. It can often feel bad when playing detective and other officers or command staff get upset that you are not playing the way THEY  think detective works. As for a personal opinion, I'd like to see detective fleshed out as being a bit more separate from security. I imagine them as a grizzled retired officer, looking for a case to break wide open and solve themselves, rather than another crime fighter. I think the detective could have some really cool rounds if they were more focused on specifically being investigators, leading to them to discover spies or conspiracies themselves. 

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13:
Here comes the clown!
Theres no need to frown!
He's slipping and sliding!
But whats that he's guiding?

Is that a beast?
Will he soon be deceased?
Or is it a traitor?
One more N.T. Hater?

The clown zooms right by,
From him flies at you a pie.
Once your vision does clear,
You see your great fear!

No wizard or ling,
Or traitorous thing!
But a big fat red mouse,
Who looks to clean house!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None!
red's been consistently good for two years; I regret not catching more of their hos shifts, but we did one together last night and they're highly communicative, relaxed, and on top of things. they know when to get serious about things like potentially subverted AIs but also know when there's time for fun like jailing their appendix for attempted first degree murder. ive also seen them teach through looc and reassure people of their place in the team.

I think you have the right attitude IC and OOC. +1 from me
Seen Red around since I started playing on the RP servers. Haven't had the chance to play with them in a long time but I've always enjoyed being on a team or as an antagonist with them around, especially when I've seen them play HoS on mentor fridays. Relaxed, communicative, fun, and good at handling antags and giving them space to escalate or build a gimmick. I've seen them teach newbies and help coordinate other officers when things get busy.

+1 from me, great attitude and a fun player
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!