Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetes trait/gene
Just a quick idea:

+1 trait point
You start with damaged pancreas OR "diabetes" gene(not sure which one will be better for implementation and function)
Due to the above, you slowly generate sugar which is not depleted from your blood
OR
You generate moderate amounts of sugar, but it's getting depleted, not fast enough to deplete everything.
In both cases, you WILL accumulate sugar.
You also start with a first aid kit containing X insulin auto-injectors.
Not sure about balancing, but in 90 minutes shift, I expect to use at least one insulin without eating anything sweet, probably two if shift gets extended(like one insulin every 50 minutes). Eating something sweet will create more sugar ofc.

The idea is basicly RP themed. Haven't played classic in a long time and I bet it will be too dynamic to care about diabetes(shift will probably end before first insulin).
While I can see this being fun, I feel like people would be really gross with it and use it to roleplay a "fat character" or something like that.
(06-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Ikea Wrote: While I can see this being fun, I feel like people would be really gross with it and use it to roleplay a "fat character" or something like that.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.  Keep in mind there literally used to be an obese gene that got removed for this very reason.
I don't really see how having a "diabetes" disease would encourage people to want to roleplay making fun of fat people, that really seems like jumping at shadows. We have plenty of other real life diseases and treatments and I think that adds to the charm of the medical system, not give people a pass to make fun of real people with those diseases.

However, I think the pitched idea sounds a bit basic (though easy to code) and would end up being a mild annoyance. HOWEVER HOWEVER, think this sounds like it could be made into an interesting mechanic where you have to actively manage blood sugar/insulin levels or risk worsening the disease to something deadly.
Plus its funny as heck to give it to the clown, who as we all know, can only eat sugary foods as is their custom.
(06-15-2022, 07:24 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: We have plenty of other real life diseases and treatments and I think that adds to the charm of the medical system, not give people a pass to make fun of real people with those diseases.

counterpoint: meathead, back before it got removed. just look at how many people used it to bust out the least subtle ableist caricatures imaginable. I think it's an interesting case study of having a medical condition in-game that people get Fucking Weird about if it's selectable as a trait you can throw on a character as a fundamental feature of who they are
Seems to me that offensive jerks are going to find ways to be offensive jerks either way. Honestly.
I think it should be changed from diabetes to a different name....
Insted of diabetes and into... "Terminal Pancreatius"

Aka it "is" diabetes" but.. it's differently named and functions slightly different. Now people won't be jerks about it.

The trait remains the same... it's the same we changed the wendigo to the bruhlbar.
If you don't want people wanna be jerks... just make it a space version of it.

So go with the lore reasons: "Chrono dust is stuck in the pancreas." So even if you replace it.. the pancreas will be redamaged and you need insulin to keep it going or... "Anti-chrono matter" ...But overdosing on it turns you into dust.
Putting new labels on things rarely stops people who have hate in their heart from being jerks. Example, the evolution of the words involving Mental Disability over the years.

The fact that fatness got removed from the game is a revelation to me that it even existed in the first place. And that makes me SAD. Removing customization options that can make you feel more like yourself but in space is disappointing. Source, me being of large constitution (Fat).
The Obese mutation was removed mostly because it was a mess and no one wanted to make sprites for it, and it needed a fuckton of spriting work iirc
(06-16-2022, 03:12 PM)Maegor Wrote: The Obese mutation was removed mostly because it was a mess and no one wanted to make sprites for it, and it needed a fuckton of spriting work iirc

That makes more sense. Darn.
It was a mix of things, the sprite bits of it definitely contributed a lot, but the mutation was definitely not a good fate thing for body representation/customization or whatever. First off the sprite was this. 
 [Image: unknown.png]

It also had effects such as limiting what you could wear, such as clothes bursting and you being unable to wear belts and changelings being unable to proboscis you due to not being able to find your neck (get it its because they're fat this joke isnt overdone and harmful whatsoever). So yeah rest in piss
(06-16-2022, 03:31 PM)Ikea Wrote: It was a mix of things, the sprite bits of it definitely contributed a lot, but the mutation was definitely not a good fate thing for body representation/customization or whatever. First off the sprite was this. 
 [Image: unknown.png]

It also had effects such as limiting what you could wear, such as clothes bursting and you being unable to wear belts and changelings being unable to proboscis you due to not being able to find your neck (get it its because they're fat this joke isnt overdone and harmful whatsoever). So yeah rest in piss

Wow that is, *Amazingly* bad faith. So yeah, bringing the diabetes trait back into focus I think it'd be fine as long as it doesn't fall into this kind of territory. It would be a bonus to medical giving them more things to do and an interesting trait to keep track of.
I'd imagine if your body is constantly producing sugar, people could just ingest hydrogen, and water to creates easy Mannitol in their body.

Probably can try and synthesize Saline Glucose, smoke powder.

This is what I would imagine a few people trying.
(06-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Ikea Wrote: While I can see this being fun, I feel like people would be really gross with it and use it to roleplay a "fat character" or something like that.

Not all diabetics are "fat". Some, like myself, just roll bad in the gene lottery and get it at a random point in our lives. This is called Type 1 Diabetes, and could easily be added without encouraging fatness. As a bonus, a robotic pancreas would cure irl type 1, so it could prove an ingame way to balance out the trait, making the cyberpancreas a sought after item

(06-15-2022, 07:24 PM)kyle2 Wrote:  HOWEVER HOWEVER, think this sounds like it could be made into an interesting mechanic where you have to actively manage blood sugar/insulin levels or risk worsening the disease to something deadly.

As a diabetic, this is actually a kind of what IRL diabetes management is like, it's almost a game at times. Granted, not a very fun one, but managing stuff does feel like a strategy game sometimes