Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetes trait/gene
(06-19-2022, 05:16 PM)George_Manning Wrote:
(06-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Ikea Wrote: While I can see this being fun, I feel like people would be really gross with it and use it to roleplay a "fat character" or something like that.

Not all diabetics are "fat". Some, like myself, just roll bad in the gene lottery and get it at a random point in our lives. This is called Type 1 Diabetes, and could easily be added without encouraging fatness. As a bonus, a robotic pancreas would cure irl type 1, so it could prove an ingame way to balance out the trait, making the cyberpancreas a sought after item

I know about type 1 and type 2 diabetes and how they are obtained. Note that type 2 isn't always fat related either.. but does have a higher chance, like cancer.

But hey... how do we make sure this trait is type 1 or type 2?
If we do type 1 and a robo pancreas can fix it.. guess what? It's a minus trait. If your minus trait can be fixed by replacing an organ it's not that much of a MINUS TRAIT.
Sure some traits can be fixed by mutations and the such too, but that takes time or requires something to be on you. So from a gameplay stand point, you gain 1 skill point and the only thing you need to do is get 1 organ replaced. Deeds done. You might as well just spawn with a robo-pancreas or some robo-parts wich does have the downside of being weak to EMPs...wich are well "rare" to be used on human charaters.

But... do we really wanna add this idea if it can be fixed by "replacements"?
From a logic standpoint it, it doesn't make sense in the future to have diabetes either since you can have it treated it cheaply apperently.
(06-20-2022, 06:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Ikea Wrote: While I can see this being fun, I feel like people would be really gross with it and use it to roleplay a "fat character" or something like that.

Not all diabetics are "fat". Some, like myself, just roll bad in the gene lottery and get it at a random point in our lives. This is called Type 1 Diabetes, and could easily be added without encouraging fatness. As a bonus, a robotic pancreas would cure irl type 1, so it could prove an ingame way to balance out the trait, making the cyberpancreas a sought after item

I know about type 1 and type 2 diabetes and how they are obtained. Note that type 2 isn't always fat related either.. but does have a higher chance, like cancer.

If we do type 1 and a robo pancreas can fix it.. guess what? It's a minus trait. If your minus trait can be fixed by replacing an organ it's not that much of a MINUS TRAIT.
Sure some traits can be fixed by mutations and the such too, but that takes time or requires something to be on you. So from a gameplay stand point, you gain 1 skill point and the only thing you need to do is get 1 organ replaced. Deeds done. You might as well just spawn with a robo-pancreas or some robo-parts wich does have the downside of being weak to EMPs...wich are well "rare" to be used on human charaters.

From a logic standpoint it, it doesn't make sense in the future to have diabetes either since you can have it treated it cheaply apperently.

We already have the deaf and blind traits which give bonus trait points at 1 and 2 respectively and both spawn with their respective solutions the auditory headset and VISOR. Another option that gives a 1 at the cost of having to take time out of your shift to remedy or play around is still in fact a negative trait.

Forgot there is also short sighted with a bonus 1 that also spawns with its solution as well prescription glasses.
(06-20-2022, 09:53 AM)DioChasek Wrote:
(06-20-2022, 06:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote:

We already have the deaf and blind traits which give bonus trait points at 1 and 2 respectively and both spawn with their respective solutions the auditory headset and VISOR. Another option that gives a 1 at the cost of having to take time out of your shift to remedy or play around is still in fact a negative trait.

Forgot there is also short sighted with a bonus 1 that also spawns with its solution as well prescription glasses.

Blindness =/= No other eyewear tools , thus a permanent handicap.
Deaf =/= No headset communication, something that is basic use.
Nearsighted =/= No other eyewear tools like blindness

Most of the negative traits stay with you all shift in some form or another.
As far as I know blindness and near-sightness is not fixed by just new eyes?
And deafness is incurable.

A robo pancreas doesn't hinder your output in some way.
The difference being you are still going to have to take time out of your round to deal with the problem or avoid sugar. Its still a hindrance to play regardless. And on blindness it also is a benefit. Take off your visor all of a sudden you are immune to flashes, deafness if I recall correctly also counters the sonic grenades which while more niche is still a benefit.
pretty sure implemented as is, this will just mean you get a countdown to hyperglycemic shock (read:permastun)