Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wizards
nerds
(06-19-2022, 11:18 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Look at these younglings who weren't around for 0 level spells having spell slots.

look at these younglings who weren't around for 0 level spells not existing
I'm old but I am not that old.
bumping thread,

also apparently wizards can use their thunder staff in containers, so this includes phase shifting and stuff
wack
Here is my opinion from a month ago I never posted:

Evading as a wizard is easy. You can get out of 30 second stuns, surrounded by security, by mashing spells (e.g. blink + phase shift + magic missile).

I feel like when spell slots went from 4 to 6 some spells weren't rebalanced appropriately.

Spell shield needs a change. Either a time nerf or point increase. Fighting a wizard with this feels like fighting a god, its dumb.

Phase shift and magic missile need changes.
I don't see why a spell that can lead to an insta-kill combo should have a 20 second cooldown.
Phase shift + any defensive spell = very difficult for anyone to take a wizard down. 
There is no point engaging with wizards unless you are security.

I love playing as wizard. Doing dumb things like teleporting people and making snakes is funny. But countering wizards is hard - especially one who makes effective use of (outer) space.
Honestly, i don't think wizards should be really "countered". They are more or less gods among men that wreck havoc, with the rest of the crew trying to survive.

In that regard, i feel like being able to kill a wizard should be the exception, not the rule.

Having that said, i feel wizards should fight less "direct". Currently, they got too many direct combat spells at their disposal. With that, the task for security would be fighting the wizards shenanigans, not the wizard itself.

An almost unkillable wizard that polymorphs you, creates golems and serpents or sabotages the station is quite fun to handle, an unkillable wizard that almost instantly murders you is not.

So in that regard, i would like to see the offense options for wizards being nerfed. Like a straight up 1 point cost increase on all direct damage spells and a nerf to magic missile damage would go a long way to ensure wizards to be chaos generators instead of boring mass murderers. And new utility/funky spells for them to be able to utilize.

I think if we tailor them right, they could also be enabled in RP as well. This type of antagonist is more or less perfect for gimmicks/RP-opportunities if balanced properly.
The only time I got Wizard, my objective list was all assassinations. So maybe that needs to get looked at too if we want wizards to be more about magic chaos and less about unstopable murder machines.
Since this thread is apparently revived: why do wizards have a hulk spell, again? If you get hit by magic missiles it's just instant death because biruz/empower also stuns each time the wizard punches you. Basically, they hit two buttons then click spaceman and you are dead.
it used to be waaaay worse back then

flashbacks to telekinesis....
We could make spells require components to cast? DnD does this and we could follow their example.

Similar to how making a golem requires a reagent, other spells would have their own corresponding materials.

Here's the general idea:

Baleful Polymorph = Feather or Egg or Meat (Animal Products)
Shocking grasp = Power cell
Prismatic Beam = 2 Lens? 5 Glass Shards? (Idk about this one)
Rathens Secret = a butt (though, arse nath makes more butts, so this would be self replicating)
Teleport = Telecrystal? (They stack so I'm not sure)
Clowns Revenge = Bike Horn

Then we throw in action bars and focus, force components onto the spells, and maybe have a balanced antagonist?

Supposing this was implemented right, maybe we could force wizards into thinking more about their spells?

Probably not practical at all but I think this idea has some potential. Balancing would be a pain.