Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wizards
Wizards are too overpowered, therefore here are my list of things to nerf them

List of things Wizards should be nerfed upon

Unable to use ranged weaponry (preferably ranged Sec equipment and two handed weaponry due to their frail nerd arms)
Forcewall barrier should have its timer cut in half (15 seconds) - Its cooldown is literally 20 seconds vs 30 lasting barrier resulting in spam
An action bar to the teleporting spell (not the scroll)
Baleful Polymorph and Clowns revenge requires *focus to use (*Cannot be used when stunned on the ground)
Animate dead should require focus to use and an action bar
Muzzles should actually work on preventing a wizard from using spells
Spell Shield should have a point addition
Rebalance the Cold resist on Wizard Clothings from 90 to 70 on robes and 10 to 30 on hats to prevent gamers like me from gaming with the robes
Shocking Touch should either have an additional point required OR change it into similarly to arcfiends (currently doesnt even have an action bar and can easily crit)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Personal takes (These are takes that should just be taken with a grain of salt) 

Wizard teams should be lowered to a max of 3
Animate Dead on the Chaplain should revive the chaplain with a half health debuff from cloning
Spell shield should have its flash prot removed OR be given better resistance rather than flatout immunity
Unable to use technological weaponry in general (Essentially Clumsy trait but for wizards)
Empower Cooldown should last a minute
Warp should be a random rather than a targetted
Wizard teleport should have certain location blacklists (maybe?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Extreme take (Something to consider)

Only 1 Wizard should spawn on a round
There was a topic lately where acid can be used to disable a wizard and wizard's hated it.
Since it made the Wizard WORTHLESS with 1 acid splash....

But dealing with a few wizards in RP, I know how OP they are.. and it's not fun. I even tried it in VR and I noticed how everything is near instant for them.
So most of these nerf's make sense.

I think we also suggested before that if a Wizard grabs a piece of tech, all their spells go on cooldown so they can still combo but if they grab it all their spells instantly are on cooldown again as a PENALTY for resorting to technology.

I do think Polymorph and Clowns revenge need to be "Focus" since they instantly change a charater's allignment, behaviour and how they interact with other players.
Gags shut up wizards, but muzzles actually don't.. but the idea of it stopping makes sense from a balance stand point.
Also Wizards are more disruptive then Wraiths, so lowering their numbers is fine.
IMO the main problem of sec VS wiz is that wiz can instastun (magic missile)=> steal baton => steal cuffs => out of the nearest airlock you go
But that issue is getting done with the https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/7104 I hope.

And I do agree, the tele spell should get some charging too.
Yeah wizards are super broken as they stand, my biggest gripe is with spellshield its pretty much an i win button that only costs 1 point, couple that with 1 more evasion spell and you have an unkillable wizard, teleport is also super annoying to deal with and really strong but at least it costs 2 points. On the topic of acid wizards at least had a viable counter to them before they got acid immune hats now there is nothing stopping a wizard from running full evasion spells and rampaging with sec gear, hell even worse hoarding every weapon they get their hands on in the wizard den.
(06-12-2022, 11:58 PM)MorganFreeman Wrote: Yeah wizards are super broken as they stand, my biggest gripe is with spellshield its pretty much an i win button that only costs 1 point, couple that with 1 more evasion spell and you have an unkillable wizard, teleport is also super annoying to deal with and really strong but at least it costs 2 points. On the topic of acid wizards at least had a viable counter to them before they got acid immune hats now there is nothing stopping a wizard from running full evasion spells and rampaging with sec gear, hell even worse hoarding every weapon they get their hands on in the wizard den.

The acid counter wasn't fun for the wizard. It was a non interaction shut down. They couldn't avoid it even if they tried.
Now the opposite is becoming true as there isn't much interaction against them as only snipers can take out wizards.
Of course chaplains have some "minor counters" to wizards, but it's so minor and pointless...

Now if there were ways to set traps for wizards that disables their magic or something... or creating an opening. Then wizards become more capable of being fun.

Like I don't know.. the mime gains the abillity to make "magic walls" that prevent wizards and mimes from going through kinda silly.
(06-12-2022, 06:11 AM)Nihisohel Wrote: Baleful Polymorph and Clowns revenge requires *focus to use (*Cannot be used when stunned on the ground)

To my knowledge succesfully casting these spells whilst stunned hasn't been possible since 5507 and 6380, see discussion on 8772. One of the PRs probably should have made this clear in a CL entry but oh well
(06-13-2022, 04:39 AM)MetricDuck Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 06:11 AM)Nihisohel Wrote: Baleful Polymorph and Clowns revenge requires *focus to use (*Cannot be used when stunned on the ground)

To my knowledge succesfully casting these spells whilst stunned hasn't been possible since 6380, see discussion on 8772. One of the PRs probably should have made this clear in a CL entry but oh well

this was just from hindsight, i barely take those two anyway
Idea: block wizard teleportation from functioning until ~5 minutes in to prevent the obnoxious "kill cap/sec before they even get gear" thing.
(06-12-2022, 06:25 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Gags shut up wizards, but muzzles actually don't.. but the idea of it stopping makes sense from a balance stand point.
Also Wizards are more disruptive then Wraiths, so lowering their numbers is fine.

fun fact, muzzles dont actually do anything to vampires or werewolves either, ive only started making use of muzzles as a placebo against them, but it really boggles me that it doesnt really docile the supernaturals

i should probably confirm it again if muzzles do work on wizards
Yeah it's pretty bad right now. Spellshield is better used to let you cast your offensive spells without repercussions, which is pretty weird for a defensive spell. Like if you pop spellshield, throw magic missiles and then cast empower you can quite easily win your engagement regardless of what you're up against. CDs are low enough that you can just rinse and repeat until all the main threats to you are dead. Add more offensive spells on top of that (shocking touch comes to mind) and there is literally nothing anyone can do to stop you unless you muck something up.
honestly some of these spells would be better if its single use only, like i dunno, cantrips would be a fitting name

also bumping thread
lookit this jock who doesn't even realize that cantrips are spells that DON'T have limited uses
lookit this jock who doesn't know that cantrip is a level 1 spell
lookit this jock who doesnt know cantrips is a level 0 spell technically.
Level 1 costs 1 spell slot.
Look at these younglings who weren't around for 0 level spells having spell slots.