Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make a number of blob upgrades unlocked by default
Specifically, the ones I think ought to be unlocked by default are:

Devour item: It's thematic.  (Honestly I also think this should also be automatic because eating things through the drop-down menu is a pain in the ass.)
Plasmaphyll:  Insofar as there's lore for blobs they are (IIRC), inhabitants of plasma giants that grow to enormous sizes outside their normal environment.  It makes sense that metabolizing plasma would be something they could do normally.
Bridge: Balance reasons.  Someone uses an RCD to remove floor files and you haven't gotten it yet?  Whoops, you're totally fucked, nothing you can do.
Reflective Membranes:  They counter exactly one thing that the crew can get out of the gate.  If they bring energy weapons in and you don't have reflectives, you're done for.
Ectothermids:  Flamethrowers are literally unbeatable for blobs without fire resist or strategic ectothermids.  Having a method to counter flamer spam from the start, even one as expensive as ectothermids are, would go a long way in giving blobs a chance to actually put up a fight.

The thing with blob is that there are a number of upgrades that you absolutely need to get as fast as possible to have any chance whatsoever (fire resist and spread cooldown) and getting both requires something like 100 tiles if you don't eat a monkey and you won't have anything else.  There aren't that many maps where you can get that many tiles without being found and if you're found without fast spread and fire resist you're doomed unless you're super robust!

Giving early blobs the less important but still useful upgrades for free will make early blobs stronger without having much of an impact on late-game blobs due to point scaling.  Blobs that get wiped within minutes of discovery aren't fun for anyone, and the meta right now relies heavily on planting near monkey vendors because you simply can't get enough evo points for all the upgrades you need to even have a chance by spreading no matter where you place.  There's just not enough space for that, especially not on the populations goon has.  Placing in a remote area ought to be a viable strategy to build strength, but it really isn't right now.

I think I'm kind of rambling, I got distracted while writing this.
That lore for blobs has been very much retconned (alongside like most of the things in the primer)