Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Most (If not all) gloves should have the same properties as latex on RP
Hey all,

Recently discovered the forensics mechanic and instantly found myself enjoying it, but discovered that the majority of gloves (that are very easy to get a hold of) give you full forensics invulnerability in terms of fingerprints except for latex gloves. What latex gloves do, however, is far more interesting: they obscure parts of your fingerprints. Now you might be thinking: "How does this factor into RP and why should other gloves be changed to perform a similar kind of thing?", well I'll tell you! It provides more enjoyment in terms of finding the villain's identity; instead of it being either "We got his fingerprints" or "We didn't get his fingerprints" it's more like: "We recovered half of his fingerprints, get us a couple more samples and we should be able to piece together a proper fingerprint". I believe this would make forensics in general more fun, as any 2-bit crimer can simply walk over to the dojo, grab some of the gloves there, and have their fingerprints instantly obscured. Perhaps also, for the sake of gloves being basically all on the same level, different types of gloves give less or more of the fingerprints away depending on how difficult it is to get your hands on the gloves, meaning a discreet, well-equipped crimer could still give Sec a hard time in finding his real identity.
Anyhow, thanks for reading through the idea/suggestion! queen greater domestic space-bee
Not a bad idea to nerf some of the gloves.
I hate seeing "Insults, no prints" everytime...
this would be difficult and every public medical vendor has latex gloves in it for quick fingerprint obfuscation

if someone wants to do it though, more power to em imo
very un-fan of code/mechanical differences between rp and non-rp
Unless im mis-remembering, the issue is, you can search up partials on the older secmate and often times there is enough to find who on a single print.
Not to mention glove have individual Id tags, and if you get any glove result you at least have a lead on people wearing or carrying certain glove types. A single lead can often point you in the right direction most of the time.
(06-08-2022, 01:15 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Not to mention glove have individual Id tags, and if you get any glove result you at least have a lead on people wearing or carrying certain glove types. A single lead can often point you in the right direction most of the time.

That's fair. I'm currently trying to make each of the unfingerprintable gloves give off very little info so this won't just make gloves useless; the most I'm thinking of going is 20% of the fingerprints (~7/34) and mostly just for the boxing gloves/keto since they're so easy to get your hands on but for the majority something like 10% (~3/34) or 5% (~1/34). Would you be able to give any feedback on how much you think should be revealed?

(06-08-2022, 10:34 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: very un-fan of code/mechanical differences between rp and non-rp

I mostly thought it wouldn't work well for Main, since I thought it to be too chaotic for Sec to take time to make sure each piece of evidence is handled correctly and brought back to whoever is piecing it together since most antags aren't exactly sneaky and probably reveal their identity within 10 or so minutes after they start killing, though it could give the Detective something to keep themselves busy with.
In short: it doesn't matter to me whether it's added to both
A big part of me says that while it is a fun thing to pursue making glove forensics a bit more definitive to point out the crime, it also adds even more power to the security department which in the current meta is the last thing the community needs.

That being said, 20 is probably the most generous you should be, 7-8 characters is enough characters that, with very good rng mind you, you can pick out a matching set of prints or at least narrow it down to 2 or 3 options.
I think this is really unneeded. Each gloves already has their own ID you can identify, and if someone is going through the trouble of juggling multiple pairs, they deserve the extra seafety
(06-08-2022, 04:26 PM)Maegor Wrote: I think this is really unneeded. Each gloves already has their own ID you can identify, and if someone is going through the trouble of juggling multiple pairs, they deserve the extra seafety

I think the biggest problem is... it gets dull. Who killed this guy.. OOH LOOK INSULS!
Who broke this door? SAME INSULS!
Then security starts scanning every one wearing insuls, but they switched... so now new insuls.

On RP it's getting a lil tired to see the same gloves being used for everything. And the biggest problem is...
These gloves are very common, so insted of investigating possible clues who it was.. you end up scanning every insul glove.

So what if insuls would give some slight prints away? Now you need insuls to safely break doors so you won't get shocked, but need more assured gloves that won't give prints that won't protect you from shocks. Suddenly the dynamic on gloves becomes less: "It's insuls again" but more like.. the traitor/antag has used special gloves to mask themselves but in the risk of shocking themselves...
It won't give away the traitor if they use Insuls, just make them a suspect, unless it's obivious they entered somewhere they ain't suppose to and something happened there.

I'd say insuls should NOT give that protection on your fingerprints, but other gloves like Black Fibers (like the detective/QM) do. I also know just plating these gloves with black rubber/synth rubber will help as well, but... that only makes those gloves stand out more and again. Thus now the traitor needs to be abit more stealthy.

It's a small nerf to traitors and I know people think security is OP these days on classic, but on RP antags get alot of lenientcy and having them have to not rely only on those damn insuls every time... and having to either risk being shocked or make special gloves that stick out (or make special antag gloves).. is abit more fun.