Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Permeability coefficient is ass.
So i know what you are asking "permeability coefficient, what's that?" well that's a complicated question as it turns out. All clothing has a permeability coefficient that is quite similar to our stats system and it modifies how much chemicals can get inside your body when splashed with chems or you come into contact with puddles. It seems simple right? Wrong. It uses some weird math to determine how much chemicals get inside you that is not at all told to the player at all. There is not a stat for this when you look at the tool tip for clothing, it is applied to the clothing with no tell to the player on how effective their clothing is on halting chems.

Now here's part where it gets worse. Permeability is very arbitrary in it's values. A pair of gloves is way stronger at halting chemicals than a full jumpsuit for example. This leads to roles having absurd chemical resistance out the gate due to some of the item's values. It also leads to absurdity.
Behold. Chemical immunity.

I propose we rework this into a percentage and change out all the values applied to be much like the current stats system. That way players are able to see what is and isn't able to be penetrated by touch chemicals and also how to reduce the amount of chemicals that can be applied much more clearly.
Viral prot is an already existing unused stat that is readable and has values that make sense for penetration rates, things should probably just use that.
Yeah this is very weird overall, having weird setups that get as good as a bio hood+suit is very dum.
That said, the person in the picture looks like they- JESSIE, WE NEED TO COOK
On the one hand some things like permeability need a once over like yesterday. On the other hand this sprite is pure Goon chemist madness and I love it.
Yeah that picture definitely looks like hes about to cook some meth.
It's less about meth and more about sarin.
(06-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Mouse Wrote: It's less about meth and more about sarin.

As a chem nerd, the fact you can just make it without a bio suit *angers* me >: (
Is it bad I trust crazy looking chem nerd more than I would one in a bio suit? Something about that guy just screams upstanding citizen.
IDK how it looks in the code but it's probably a bigger rework than it looks - since chemical splashes don't have targeting, you can make up for a naked face by stacking coverage on another part ie, biosuit body and fancy chemical proof shoes, shirt and gloves = face protection?

would probably move towards specific body part targetting, but i think having body part targeting values brought back for things like spacewalking/chemical splashes makes sense. Walking through puddles would be a check against feet, etc. it's just a lot of reworking to do to get that - and it isn't very easy to show the player either