HoS application 1 (Scarlett Hynes)
Rainbow 
Quote: "Sometimes, you need either a leader, or to become one."
Usual character name: Scarlett Hynes, Agent Church, Cassandra Heartcliff
BYOND username: ThatScarlett
Discord username (if you are on  our discord): ThatScarlett#1210 

Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: 3 and 4.

Reason for application: The greatest reason for me to take courage to make this application, was that many, many times, specially in lower population servers, the things start getting rough, and specially when you're the only security member, the situation can get out of control. Another reason, is that I've been in security quite some months now, and think I got the experience to apply. This is my first application, and I'd love feedback. 

Security experience (300 word minimum): My security journey began about 4-5 months ago, in Goonstation RP. I had played other departments, but security always had some weight for me to try. I remember joining as an assistant and learning the basics, mainly staying at the desk and learning from officers. Once I became an officer, I had to learn how to use my gear, so I always let other officers handle things for me to learn. I've comitted bad actions as an officer, and I really see how bad my attitude was, one time, a vampire sucked my characters blood in provocation, and I went with harm intent baton on them. Thankfully, a HoS and NTSO there lectured me.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Don't lose your chill. I know it can be hard, really. But as security, calmness is something you need. Not only that, but knowing how, and when to use your gear.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) One of my absoluta favorite security moments, was when I was doing a traitor Syndicate Radio Station gimmick, a pod crashed in the radio station, and it had Syndicate  Nuclear Commander armor, so after some time, security thought I was a real threat, but I was actually peaceful, so, a security member asked me to meet them somrwhrere to talk, and I was really suspicious they were going to do harm me, but we had a nice talk and clarified things, that really marked me about the roleplaying part of security, and the "don't lose your chill" one too.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? One improvement I'd like to see, is first, a hand-guide on how to use the security computer. I took so long to know how to use it, and it was only after another officer taught me. Another thing, would be to change Donut 3 and Destiny's security computers to be like the ones in Cogmap 1, Oshan.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. When playing alone, I keep the security radio mostly clear, only giving the captain and AI information, and, depending, giving the crew too(example:hostile changeling aboard). When working on a team, I always radio situations to the others, and actively ask about the resolutions. I also like to greet people when they join security, and to have funny moments with them. 
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13. 
  • Bees are cool
  • They are cute and small
  • Don't hurt em', fool
  • Or ticketed you shall.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? One security gimmick I've done is the undercover mime gimmick! Basically, I went to HoP, changed my job title mime, changed clothes, and didn't speak! And of course, radioed the team. It was pretty funny.
  • Draw a picture!
  • (I couldn't add the picture, it'll be in the replies)
  • Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):None.

Picture:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments...123142.png
I'm not leaving a full review at this point in time, but the word count for your security experience falls well below the minimum, sitting at 114 words.
I really like you on a team, you work well with a variety of players and I think definitely could shine up well as a HoS, but I am not sure I could say I think this is that application/time for it.

you communicate well in most scenarios, are independent in your judgements and efficient, and, of course, very stylish.

some spots for improvement I'd really like to see you ace for that future potential of being the capable determined HoS I imagine you could become:

- not exceedingly common, there have been a few moments of radio silence from you, mostly when something bad is happening to you and I really worry! communicating during action-y moments is obviously hard; when everyone is looking for you in a round when you're the HoS, it can be important to reaffirm your safety/need for help really quickly. sec means it kindly but they have some tendency to panic when they dont know where the HoS is or if they're okay. this is, like, a super mild point and it only ever happens that your communication to the team I think suffers when you're directly in some nature of trouble, which is very understandable and not anything affecting your greater communication efficiency and frequency with the team, which is excellent otherwise.

- to the independent bit, there has been a moment as HoS I pre-emptively let the team know something like "if we catch X, the punishment is Y". I know you flagged them down in the hall and ended up giving them a talking to, which was comparatively mild to what I recommended for repeat aggravated assault; they were a vet player and idk if that factored in at all. The point of this not being anything about meta or having a different punishment in mind at all, but rather being able to read the round. It was highpop with very active antags and we flagged down this one that was raising the stakes dramatically, and so trying to respond to the round course of events with a fitting punishment. I know you play both high and low pop hours, and just sorta depending on round flow, some rounds you might have to be a little more heavy-handed when calling shots than you might be on other rounds. this is about the only spot I see a little more honing needed, but it's an important one! it's also not one I believe is out of your reach or anything, it comes with time.

-my only real "point of contention", if you will, is mostly about agent church and playing as a (maybe) syndicate-aligned character even when not an antag. the syndicate radio station round caused me some grief before from crew misrepresneting the broadcast and rushing sec and trying to then arm themselves from the armory; and when church was around in the red spacesuit and hitting contraband scanners, it started a few long and winded discussions (and sometimes full on fights) about whether it was right for sec to apprehend someone who was IC acting as an overt syndicate for lore reasons or if it was something we were supposed to act on with OOC knowledge and give space to for the ability to develop the character more. I dont think people /shouldnt/ have fun and sometimes deceiving characters, I just think it's important as a HoS to understand the dynamics of how those characters might strain sec in a round, especially when running syndicate-but-not-antag, which can cause a lot of grey area confusion for sec and the greater crew.

I'm neutral on this app for this cycle but I see the shinings of a good HoS in you and think with a little more time and polish, you'll land right where you need to. Looking forward to running with you again.
(06-05-2022, 10:11 AM)Mr. Moriarty Wrote: I'm not leaving a full review at this point in time, but the word count for your security experience falls well below the minimum, sitting at 114 words.

I got too excited writing about the experience and, in my head it was enough, but I really should've payed more attention to that.

(06-05-2022, 11:02 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: I really like you on a team, you work well with a variety of players and I think definitely could shine up well as a HoS, but I am not sure I could say I think this is that application/time for it.

you communicate well in most scenarios, are independent in your judgements and efficient, and, of course, very stylish.

some spots for improvement I'd really like to see you ace for that future potential of being the capable determined HoS I imagine you could become:

- not exceedingly common, there have been a few moments of radio silence from you, mostly when something bad is happening to you and I really worry! communicating during action-y moments is obviously hard; when everyone is looking for you in a round when you're the HoS, it can be important to reaffirm your safety/need for help really quickly. sec means it kindly but they have some tendency to panic when they dont know where the HoS is or if they're okay. this is, like, a super mild point and it only ever happens that your communication to the team I think suffers when you're directly in some nature of trouble, which is very understandable and not anything affecting your greater communication efficiency and frequency with the team, which is excellent otherwise.

- to the independent bit, there has been a moment as HoS I pre-emptively let the team know something like "if we catch X, the punishment is Y". I know you flagged them down in the hall and ended up giving them a talking to, which was comparatively mild to what I recommended for repeat aggravated assault; they were a vet player and idk if that factored in at all. The point of this not being anything about meta or having a different punishment in mind at all, but rather being able to read the round. It was highpop with very active antags and we flagged down this one that was raising the stakes dramatically, and so trying to respond to the round course of events with a fitting punishment. I know you play both high and low pop hours, and just sorta depending on round flow, some rounds you might have to be a little more heavy-handed when calling shots than you might be on other rounds. this is about the only spot I see a little more honing needed, but it's an important one! it's also not one I believe is out of your reach or anything, it comes with time.

-my only real "point of contention", if you will, is mostly about agent church and playing as a (maybe) syndicate-aligned character even when not an antag. the syndicate radio station round caused me some grief before from crew misrepresneting the broadcast and rushing sec and trying to then arm themselves from the armory; and when church was around in the red spacesuit and hitting contraband scanners, it started a few long and winded discussions (and sometimes full on fights) about whether it was right for sec to apprehend someone who was IC acting as an overt syndicate for lore reasons or if it was something we were supposed to act on with OOC knowledge and give space to for the ability to develop the character more. I dont think people /shouldnt/ have fun and sometimes deceiving characters, I just think it's important as a HoS to understand the dynamics of how those characters might strain sec in a round, especially when running syndicate-but-not-antag, which can cause a lot of grey area confusion for sec and the greater crew.

I'm neutral on this app for this cycle but I see the shinings of a good HoS in you and think with a little more time and polish, you'll land right where you need to. Looking forward to running with you again.
Thank you for the feedback! Something I need to get better is the punishment area, specially in highpop. I usually try to see the situation and in my head it seems little compared to the real fact, specially if it's a repested offense. Another thing, is the radio activity during tense moments, after conflict I sometimes forget to radio immediately, specially if the agressor was apprehended, and I really should keep more in contact even with minor details. And with Church, now that I look at the past and that I know way more about the Syndicate, that REALLY was something strange, if zI was in the security side there, I would be very confused on the next step, because of what the Syndicate means connected with the rather peaceful intentions OOC. Outside of that there's also a major problem for me: Game freezer and crashes. My computer is not meant for gaming, and I've had so much frustation after a crash in public with other players, and then having to explain IC that "my brain stopped for a while". Big text, but I think hopefully all was covered!