Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dumping random events idea
Suggesting some new random events as our current ones don't pose much of a threat to the station and It's crewmembers (Spatial tears are just annoying, anomalies = yeet monke inside problem solved, radstorm consists of staying in one place while waiting for a rave outside maint to cease, ect...) Most of those events aren't really challenging for the crew, as for critter antag spawns it'd be nice to see some of them have actual objectives instead of just "aha murder go brrrr" (not that It's a problem, but it could be made more interesting).
It'd also be nice if others could share their ideas regarding new random event in this thread, more people = more potentially good ideas !

Event based off existing game mechanics

Random patho virus spawn (random symptoms, stats, ect... With the exception that it must spawn with at least one way to spread), as for how players should be given it, I think just giving it randomly should be good enough (after all thats what appendicitis does), unless someone suggests a better way to do it (since patho viruses can be spooky and fast acting at times, wouldn't be convenient if someone randomly caught one and got gibbed litteraly minuts after).

Critter themed events because those are way easier to come up with than most things (hence why I'm suggesting multiple) :

A -->temporary<-- invicible antag/critter spawn that would be strong enough to murder those who approach it easily (kinda similar to what sword was except that it wouldn't have the "destroy the station so badly you need to call shuttle).
Exemple : A slasher, hyper speed monke or just something out of the ordinary to give a bit of action to a potentially boring/"crimeless" round.

Some kind of PVE oriented event where a structure with a beefy amount of health appears on a random point on station alongside a few odd player controlled critters trying to agressively defend the only thing keeping them alive in this world (aka the structure they spawned with)
(Exemple for annoucment : An un-identified pillar as appeared in "location of spawn", several unknown creatures appear to be surrounding it Crew members are ordered to dipose of it with caution.
Perhaps should those antag critters be tasked with the objective of protecting this structure, dying if it ever was to be destroyed and becoming weakened if they were to become too distanced from it. This would (probably) encourage those critter antags to stay and defend their dam structure from the crew, even more so when said structure could spawn anywhere including in the middle of medbay (Perhaps would it be better to make the structure have some bad effects on the crew surrounding it whereas "It's" antag critters get some regen from it)

Made up events

Dream wave : Random players (up to 7-ish, balance is hard >:c) find themselves with a new status effect "Abnormaly dizzy" lasting ~1-3min or more (indicated by some big flavor text in chat saying in a different color than red "Your head feels like It's going to explode"). The effect itself has a 20% of being removed by mannitol/synaptazine per life cycle.
Upon ending normally (un-interrupted by mannitol/synaptazine) Affected players will be transported to an area surrounded by other agressive critters. (affected players bodies will become unable to be damaged aswell as and their inventory will be un-interactable with)
Ideally when entering said arena players should be given the following pop up "You've been transported to an unknown place, kill another of your kind or survive against an hord of monsters alongside them to exit this place" as said by the pop up killing another player will bring them back (the murderer) to their bodies whilst the killed player will have It's original body die, upon surviving for a certain amount of time against some very stronk critters the remaining players will be sent back to their original bodies.
I do would however suggest that players get summoned in a nameless body whilst in the arena to avoid grudges resulting from players killing each other~~
Dream wave spawn conditions : Either random or caused by an azone similarly to disaster rounds (Like from angering dreambee or something, but since people practically never go there It'd probably appear as often as hootcore dunking)

(Perhaps should this take another form to make sure players are aware of what may happen to them upon being "afflicted" by the event, but I think making it a status effect is a pretty good indicator of "oh no I'm in danger". Another thing is that the bodies of the teleported players should probably be anchored to avoid finding them from finding themselves in space when returning from their blood soaked nightmare after some passing by staffie decided to pratice their space throwing)

Those are just the ones I'm suggesting tho, hopefully other peoples will use this thread to share their ideas too.... Or not, you do you Sleeping bee .

I also noticed a similar thread was once made in the past.... But that was 2 years ago so why not do it again I guess~~ !
Alot of the current events take a more sideline approach, rather then directly forcing people into positions so that their own stories can develop on their own. The dream event is a pretty cool concept, probably not good to force people away from whatever they were doing and encourage non antag murders.

Got some awful ideas of my own for you to shit on

Passing Space Australia
The station is floating on by space Australia, causing everything upside down!
Brings back the old space madness effect of flipping all the sprites upside down, making everything very disorientating and making it easy to become lost. 

Kudzu Sprout
A small bud of kudzu has appeared due to a tourist not following the clearly written laws to NOT bring outside fruits and vegetables to the station 
Creates a single tile of kudzu somewhere on the station.

ORDER UP
Famed chef Gorgon Rambley has delivered an experimental dish to the station! It's meaty atoms seem to be growing unstable?
A scaled up hotdog appears somewhere, surrounded by hotdog suits and forks. If not eaten by the crew in 5-10 minutes, it causes a small explosion

Hyperspace Hijacking
It's come to NT's attention that the martians are planning an attack on your shuttle. They wish you the best of luck
Causes Martian enemies to float towards the escape shuttle during it's travel back to Centcom. Should spawn rarely if there are 10 or less players on the shuttle 
(06-02-2022, 03:49 PM)eggpielord Wrote: Alot of the current events take a more sideline approach, rather then directly forcing people into positions so that their own stories can develop on their own. The dream event is a pretty cool concept, probably not good to force people away from whatever they were doing and encourage non antag murders.

Got some awful ideas of my own for you to shit on

Passing Space Australia
The station is floating on by space Australia, causing everything upside down!
Brings back the old space madness effect of flipping all the sprites upside down, making everything very disorientating and making it easy to become lost. 

Kudzu Sprout
A small bud of kudzu has appeared due to a tourist not following the clearly written laws to NOT bring outside fruits and vegetables to the station 
Creates a single tile of kudzu somewhere on the station.

ORDER UP
Famed chef Gorgon Rambley has delivered an experimental dish to the station! It's meaty atoms seem to be growing unstable?
A scaled up hotdog appears somewhere, surrounded by hotdog suits and forks. If not eaten by the crew in 5-10 minutes, it causes a small explosion

Hyperspace Hijacking
It's come to NT's attention that the martians are planning an attack on your shuttle. They wish you the best of luck
Causes Martian enemies to float towards the escape shuttle during it's travel back to Centcom. Should spawn rarely if there are 10 or less players on the shuttle 

I fail to see any awful ideas here.
The only one that is kind of mediocre is the Kudzu sprout but the flavor text makes it a bit more interesting.
OCTOPUS
A replacement for Spiders on Oshan for a more aquatic theme. Retains the 8 handed ability of spider, but has grappling like abilities.
(06-03-2022, 12:33 AM)Confuseddp Wrote: OCTOPUS
A replacement for Spiders on Oshan for a more aquatic theme. Retains the 8 handed ability of spider, but has grappling like abilities.

Someone get working on an Octo-Clown Sprite we need this.