[CLOSED PR] Raw ore no longer stacks
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[REMOVAL][INPUT WANTED]
About the PR
Removes ore stacking from `/obj/item/raw_material/`
Marked as draft for feedback

Why's this needed?
Stacking ores reduces the usefulness of mining satchels - an item to condense high-volume objects into one item slot.
The current ore-stacking and satchel implementation can be used to hold infinite amounts of 100 different types of ore in a single item slot.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)glowbold
(*)Raw ore no longer stacks. Nanotrasen recommends utilizing high-volume satchels for on-station transport.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Makes things way too inconvinent for loading things into things, stacking ores is practically required if you want to load things into rockbox as mining borg due to inability to just load things from ore scoop directly into the rockbox/reclaimer (or loading miscelanious stacks of ores into things in general)
Satchels are able to compress many different types of ore into one slot, stacking only allows one type per slot.

Having 50 of a single ore type, and having small amounts of many types of ores are very different situations imo. Satchels also protect from radiation.
Alternative that I think solves the "problem" without reducing QoL of being able to handle that much ore in bulk: have anything that cares about capacity treat stacks of ore as taking up the same space as that many individual ores (and reject or split and load only the amount that would fit if not, depending on what you're doing).
(05-29-2022, 02:48 PM)Ikea Wrote: Makes things way too inconvinent for loading things into things, stacking ores is practically required if you want to load things into rockbox as mining borg due to inability to just load things from ore scoop directly into the rockbox/reclaimer (or loading miscelanious stacks of ores into things in general)

You can just click drag to load piles of ore at once
(05-29-2022, 05:42 PM)Yellow Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 02:48 PM)Ikea Wrote: Makes things way too inconvinent for loading things into things, stacking ores is practically required if you want to load things into rockbox as mining borg due to inability to just load things from ore scoop directly into the rockbox/reclaimer (or loading miscelanious stacks of ores into things in general)

You can just click drag to load piles of ore at once
Not for rockbox last I checked.
This would make selling ores as QM miserable, also consider that ores bought from rockbox show up in their non-stacked form so buying them in bulk would make transporting them awful. There are definitely ways to make satchels better without removing QoL from the game.
You can print out a crate to move up to 50 at a time. Or you can make a locker for the same effect if there’s no crate printer nearby
(05-30-2022, 12:27 AM)Yellow Wrote: You can print out a crate to move up to 50 at a time. Or you can make a locker for the same effect if there’s no crate printer nearby

The max is 99, however stacked ore, no matter the amount, counts as 1 item when closing containers, so you can actually hold a lot more. Just because there are more annoying alternatives doesn't mean QoL should be removed.

This is a good QoL thing anyway: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/8856

---

I'll take a look at the mining scoop/satchel implementation to see how bad de-stacking ore on collection could get. My instinct was to run away from that code in terror and 'fix' it this way smile

I'd still like to suggest/change the max-stack of ores to 100, which matches the in-game large satchel size limit - would that impact some workflows I'm not anticipating?