Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CLOSED PR] Rename NT Security Consultant to NT Security Contractor.
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT]

About the PR
Find-replace NT Security Consultant with NT Security Contractor and nothing else.

Why's this needed?
I believe this is a good compromise; taking into account the need to transition away from the connotations around the previous on-station NTSO appellation while also being more descriptive of the role of an NTSC in practice. It starts with the same letter so there shouldn't be any confusion with the other (and currently named as such) NTSO role.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Didnt realize this thread existed before I commented on github, going to repost what I said on there

Contractor sounds even more lone wolf supercop then operative (theyre a contracted employee to do theyre own thing instead of someone a part of the station), and i think a big intent of the name change was to help reframe the job in a more station supportive way.
I shall also state my point here:

While I dont think consultant fits at all with NTSO’s tacticool style, contracter doesn’t strike me as someone who would be in a second in command position assisting the HoS in leading sec.

Someone in the other thread said “Security Lieutenant”, I think thats much more fitting imo
Repost from github:
I agree with Ikea on the contractor bit, now it sounds even more like they're disconnected from station authority and report to no one within NT themselves.

I know people have spitballed Security Lieutenant around too. I'm not a fan personally just because of the militarization of the title; but the wiki page calls NTSCs lieutenants to HoSes, so I think it's an acceptable alternative because it's also as much a part of the design mantra as "hey you're not a supercop" is.
--
The name really doesn't matter. The role didn't change and in fact the sig got BETTER in the commit after. Masked said something interesting on the other thread: HoSes and NTSOs aren't really interacting with new sec at all, and this is something I notice in a majority of cases, anyways.

If people think that Consultant or Dork or Corporate Skippy or whatever name doesn't reflect the Tacticoolness of the role...I mean I wonder what the intent of the role is supposed to be to others, then. But also we could reduce the Tacticoolness. That's always an option. I don't think my takes are particularly universally held, but I'd recommend axing the Clock and Command access in that case. Remove the "less than lethal but usually ends up killing anyways" gun, remove command access to reiterate Blue Dudes are not Heads and are still answerable to Heads. And maybe if they're forced to spend more time in security they may also interact with new sec more.

Even though it is just a funny name change and it affects nothing in-game, it's a good prompter to talk about attitudes around the role and what the intent of it is from out-of-game perspective.
Unless you change gear and access this change won't fix any problems with how people approach the role. A fresh coat of paint on a house with termite damage won't fix the structural issue.
Contractor is worse imo, it implies being a third party thing, like the detective.

Not to get into what I already shared in the other thread, I'd change it to Nanotresen Security Commissioner. It's a title used by police forces, while not being overtly militaristic as Security Lieutenant (Titles which would also require gear changes).
Security contractors are known as mercenaries. Blackwater, triple canopy, etc, are all "security contractors" but are real world soldiers for hire. No.
(05-28-2022, 04:57 PM)Maegor Wrote: Contractor is worse imo, it implies being a third party thing, like the detective.

Not to get into what I already shared in the other thread, I'd change it to Nanotresen Security Commissioner. It's a title used by police forces, while not being overtly militaristic as Security Lieutenant (Titles which would also require gear changes).

That's a far better idea. Either that, or Constable.