Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Allow players to deconstruct APCs
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
Allowing more station objects to be removed by players is a good move. Fixes the rotation issues on deconstructing and then reconstructing player-built APCs as well.

Why's this needed?
Players can scan and build APCs just fine, but not deconstruct? Wierd.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)MeggalBozale
(+)APCs can now be deconstructed.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Hi, this is my drafted PR. I want to make it harder and more obvious when players are deconstructing APCs, because these are vital parts of the station and it should not be as trivial as it currently is (in the PR) to take them down. I'm thinking like how rwalls are taken down, but with the graphic above your head of the action.
Something like:
- ID (Unlock panel)
- Cover lock (Disengage cover lock)
- Crowbar (Expose power cell)
- Remove cell (I can check for this with a simple "is cell null" so it works)

Then the deconstruction process begins:
- Screwdriver (You begin loosening the panel screws..)
- Welder (You begin slicing the APC's connection to the wall..)
- Wrench (You begin loosening some bolts...)
- Crowbar (You begin prying the APC on its left side...)
- Wirecutters (You begin snipping the wires on its left side...)
- Crowbar (You begin prying the APC on its right side...)
- Wirecutters (You begin snipping the wires on its right side...)

And then the player can deconstruct it. Obviously the above is unrealistic to how the APC might actually work, I dunno. Would definitely make it more tedious!
(Player-built APCs would have a player construction flag, making the above only happen for pre-existing APCs.)

Actually after some discussion on #ss13-discussion I may make it so that you can deconstruct it as-is (which is good, that will make the code part easier) but:

The CE then spawns with a Very Specific Wrench™️ that you can't replicate, which turns a Very Specific Bolt™️ (that you can't turn otherwise) making it deconstructable
The reason for this is simple:
"Cause grief and how hard it is getting a APC to work"

Have you constructed an APC and wired and connected all the part of that area as a mechanic?
I heard it's a nightmare. As for mappers/coders... I don't know how hard it is for them too.

So even if you deconstruct and remove it is complex.. making a new one is harder.

Sure you can blow an APC up completely too, but thats significantly harder too.
Making a new one is easy. You scan it, print a new one, and deploy it. It takes around 2 minutes...

Also, I have made APCs before. Part of why I made this PR is because APCs are very finnicky and often don't decon right in the first place (player APCs can be deconstructed.) Station APCs have gotten in the way of many of my build projects and I've had no options to move them.
(05-27-2022, 09:59 AM)Meggal Bozale Wrote: Making a new one is easy. You scan it, print a new one, and deploy it. It takes around 2 minutes...

Also, I have made APCs before. Part of why I made this PR is because APCs are very finnicky and often don't decon right in the first place (player APCs can be deconstructed.) Station APCs have gotten in the way of many of my build projects and I've had no options to move them.

Does it have to be the same APC of that area? If yes... then this suggestion will leave departments with no way of recieving power.
If no... then your suggestion can fly by scanning a different APC and setting it to the new area.
No, it doesn't. When you make an APC it looks at the area it's in and starts powering that area.
Don't let APC names fool you, they can be moved and work just fine. If you want to move West Maintence APC to the bridge to fix it, it'll work fine.

APCs do what they are called. They are Area Power Controllers. They control the area power. They do not directly connect to machinery in the area, rather the area itself.

(** as far as this jank apc code tells me. But in practice, that's the deal.)
(05-27-2022, 09:40 AM)Meggal Bozale Wrote: Hi, this is my drafted PR. I want to make it harder and more obvious when players are deconstructing APCs, because these are vital parts of the station and it should not be as trivial as it currently is (in the PR) to take them down. I'm thinking like how rwalls are taken down, but with the graphic above your head of the action.
Something like:
- ID (Unlock panel)
- Cover lock (Disengage cover lock)
- Crowbar (Expose power cell)
- Remove cell (I can check for this with a simple "is cell null" so it works)

Then the deconstruction process begins:
- Screwdriver (You begin loosening the panel screws..)
- Welder (You begin slicing the APC's connection to the wall..)
- Wrench (You begin loosening some bolts...)
- Crowbar (You begin prying the APC on its left side...)
- Wirecutters (You begin snipping the wires on its left side...)
- Crowbar (You begin prying the APC on its right side...)
- Wirecutters (You begin snipping the wires on its right side...)

And then the player can deconstruct it. Obviously the above is unrealistic to how the APC might actually work, I dunno. Would definitely make it more tedious!
(Player-built APCs would have a player construction flag, making the above only happen for pre-existing APCs.)

Actually after some discussion on #ss13-discussion I may make it so that you can deconstruct it as-is (which is good, that will make the code part easier) but:

The CE then spawns with a Very Specific Wrench™️ that you can't replicate, which turns a Very Specific Bolt™️ (that you can't turn otherwise) making it deconstructable
My first concern was "What if a malicious Engineer deconstructs all the APCs while there is no CE or Mechanic around?" So your follow-up makes some sense. But then the question becomes, "What if a malicious CE deconstructs all the APCs while there are no Mechanics around?" There is no alternative to APCs. If the engine is shutdown, we can use local generators. If the APCs are gone, what can we do? Unless an alternative to APCs is added, or an alternative to manufacturing APCs is added (like an APC placer, like we have for lamps), I am concerned this makes it too easy to mess up the station with no recourse.
(05-27-2022, 11:02 AM)ohjoy Wrote: My first concern was "What if a malicious Engineer deconstructs all the APCs while there is no CE or Mechanic around?" So your follow-up makes some sense. But then the question becomes, "What if a malicious CE deconstructs all the APCs while there are no Mechanics around?" There is no alternative to APCs. If the engine is shutdown, we can use local generators. If the APCs are gone, what can we do? Unless an alternative to APCs is added, or an alternative to manufacturing APCs is added (like an APC placer, like we have for lamps), I am concerned this makes it too easy to mess up the station with no recourse.

The deconstruction process being 12 steps long, with power being shutdown on the 4th step means it's impossible for mass deconstruction of APCs to be an issue short of the crew being really incompetent at noticing stuff going on around them. And if you really want to shut down power in mass, a Power Sink is more effective

Plus, APCs can be made at mechanics, mechanics equipment can be ordered from cargo, and there is the mechanics outpost at the mining station as well.
Yeah okay I closed that PR. I am very unfamiliar with gooncode and dreammaker, I am just not capable of making the construction and deconstruction so complicated to suit the game's needs. I will probably pick this up again when I can handle it.
(05-27-2022, 12:09 PM)Maegor Wrote: The deconstruction process being 12 steps long, with power being shutdown on the 4th step means it's impossible for mass deconstruction of APCs to be an issue short of the crew being really incompetent at noticing stuff going on around them. And if you really want to shut down power in mass, a Power Sink is more effective

Plus, APCs can be made at mechanics, mechanics equipment can be ordered from cargo, and there is the mechanics outpost at the mining station as well.

I forgot about the Mechanics equipment from Cargo. This should be fine, then, if they ever pick it back up.
Basicly this thing needs to work if we can make APCs without any power or power our equipment in another way in case of an APC saboteur group (conspirators).

And make it easier to make a new one then deconstructing one.