Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Nucular Fishin' Engine
Is this PR just adding the reactor to the game code, or is it actually implemented in an encounterable way, ie as something to be constructed, or will we need to wait for old maps to be converted to it?  Because I want this implemented yesterday.
It'll add it to clarion
Oh boy oh joy, we're playing nuclear now?
Can we make use of that pellets for that RTG pellets from radioisotope to the nuclear? It seems like nobody ever touched that engine, might as well rework the pellets or scrap or make pellets from the nuclear generator to make nukes. I don't know much about this kind of engine, probably if it came out i'll try to give a little run before commenting  space bear
As long as there is a way to Overload it and cause a nuclear meltdown I am happy.
(05-28-2022, 04:42 AM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: As long as there is a way to Overload it and cause a nuclear meltdown I am happy.

Confirmed, if you don't cool things down enough your fuel will melt, your components will melt, the hot gas will spew everywhere, the reactor will emit crazy rads, everyone will die.

Also the turbine might explode if you make it spin too fast.
Little status update:
[Image: unknown.png]
(06-01-2022, 12:40 PM)amylizzle Wrote: Little status update:
[Image: unknown.png]
Interresting start. A quick question though... are we going to be able to make bigger rods or more powerfull rods as well?
I mean Erebite would be the perfect "Risk/reward" rod.
finally out of dev hell
looks neat, would love to see on clarion.

agree about the matsci stuff, mat properties are pretty arbitrary right now and there's established meta for certain properties (viscerite hammer my beloved). in this case I think keeping it simple to just the pure rads offers a lot of variability for high achievers who really wanna work for it and get that late-shift lucky strike (neutr.) and even for us OSHA compliant boring Safety First types who refuse to shake hands with danger (kosh.)

really excited for that though.
(06-01-2022, 01:41 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Interresting start. A quick question though... are we going to be able to make bigger rods or more powerfull rods as well?
I mean Erebite would be the perfect "Risk/reward" rod.

You can make rods out of literally any material you can lay hands on. Some new materials will be made available also specifically for this.
All the components are integrated with matsci - you can have pizza control rods, erebite fuel rods, neutronium gas channels. It is my intention that people find fun and stupid ways to generate huge amounts of power by experimenting, while also having a number of safe boring setups that will happily tick over and produce ~1MW.

The setup I'm showing in that image is steel heat exchangers, steel gas channels, and neutronium fuel rods.
this simply sounds and looks amazing! i love the mix of Rimatomics and IC2. and the UI looks great!
why didnt we get this earlier get this in and give the space people the power to unleash the sun
That Turbine Control Computer looks good.
Someone years ago was making a nuke powered engine but they disappeared and the code just never got finished. I'd love to have a new engine revolving around nuclear power. Always seemed fun to me.
Yeah, when I started coding it I came across at least two separate attempts to start a nuclear reactor, but neither had gotten much farther than defining some basic concepts. One of them implemented some mats and stuff though which I can use.
> The setup I'm showing in that image is steel heat exchangers, steel gas channels, and neutronium fuel rods.

In the image it seems thats only making 1 KW?
Is there some other part that im missing?