Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CLOSED PR] Cure For Kuru
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE] [BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
This pr adds a new chem, prion G127. It cures kuru, and is made with 1 part mannitol, epinephrine, prions, stable mutagen, and diethylamine. I based it off of the irl prion G127 protein.

Why's this needed?
Currently, kuru is one of the only diseases that lack a cure. Combine this with the fact that it is super deadly, and you get guaranteed death with no counter-play. Adding in a chem that is difficult to make that can cure kuru will let med save some people, while keeping kuru as a useful kill disease.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)Nanotrasen has developed a new cure for kuru, enzyme G127! It can be made by combining prions with stable mutagen, diethylamine, mannitol, and epinephrine.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
This is kind of antithetical to the whole point of kuru, also adding a whole chem to counteract one specific poison seems bad, if this change is needed Id much prefer to see it be an already existing chem.
Kuru cannot be cured.. that's the point. It's so rare and non contangiant cause you ate something dumb or a vamp is out to get you.
(05-26-2022, 03:41 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Kuru cannot be cured.. that's the point. It's so rare and non contangiant cause you ate something dumb or a vamp is out to get you.

Except the chef can make 150u of it, and it only takes about 10u to guarantee death. Not sure what vamps has to do with this, considering we arn't talking about Grave Fever.
kuru already has a niche non specific cure and does nothing to prevent the subject from being cloned, so shrug doesnt seem necessary
(05-26-2022, 04:16 PM)Retrino Wrote: kuru already has a niche non specific cure and does nothing to prevent the subject from being cloned, so shrug doesnt seem necessary

Wait, it has a cure? This is the first I've heard of this.
(05-26-2022, 04:19 PM)Wisemonster Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 04:16 PM)Retrino Wrote: kuru already has a niche non specific cure and does nothing to prevent the subject from being cloned, so shrug doesnt seem necessary

Wait, it has a cure? This is the first I've heard of this.

holy water has an incredibly small (but possible) chance
i personally think a guaranteed lethal disease with cure (that isn't terrible RNG) is a much more interesting idea than 'the disease that makes you dead, go to the cloner or get fucked puritans'

The only change i'd suggest is towards swapping out the recipe for something more backbreaking, as only 2 of the reagents can't be grabbed from the dispensers.

I love the idea that it could be made from a bunch of stuff found around the station, so players have a mad dash to make the cure:
swap out epinephrine and mannitol for other organic chems you have to find all over the place, like space fungus & egg
(05-26-2022, 04:14 PM)Wisemonster Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 03:41 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Kuru cannot be cured.. that's the point. It's so rare and non contangiant cause you ate something dumb or a vamp is out to get you.

Except the chef can make 150u of it, and it only takes about 10u to guarantee death. Not sure what vamps has to do with this, considering we arn't talking about Grave Fever.

I did mean grave fever and that was silly of me to think it was Kuru too.

Kuru indeed has a cure and it's rare... but it not having a cure.. no.
Grave Fever on the other hand.... Don't touch that one.

Yea Kuru should have a cure and probaly would have one if we had Pathology.
"Kuru has no known cure. It's usually fatal within one year of contraction. The identification and study of kuru helped along scientific research in a number of ways. It was the first neurodegenerative disease resulting from an infectious agent."

The point of Kuru in the game is its a death sentence. If it was given a cure people wouldn't freak out about getting anymore. That would be a bummer. I love when someone starts shaking and laughing and falling on the floor and people start freaking out about kuru.
(05-26-2022, 05:11 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: i personally think a guaranteed lethal disease with cure (that isn't terrible RNG) is a much more interesting idea than 'the disease that makes you dead, go to the cloner or get fucked puritans'

The only change i'd suggest is towards swapping out the recipe for something more backbreaking, as only 2 of the reagents can't be grabbed from the dispensers.

I love the idea that it could be made from a bunch of stuff found around the station, so players have a mad dash to make the cure:
swap out epinephrine and mannitol for other organic chems you have to find all over the place, like space fungus & egg

If it's easier then I would just chug all the chems at once, and try and synthesize it by drinking chems.
(05-26-2022, 07:16 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: "Kuru has no known cure. It's usually fatal within one year of contraction. The identification and study of kuru helped along scientific research in a number of ways. It was the first neurodegenerative disease resulting from an infectious agent."

The point of Kuru in the game is its a death sentence. If it was given a cure people wouldn't freak out about getting anymore. That would be a bummer. I love when someone starts shaking and laughing and falling on the floor and people start freaking out about kuru.

straining to remember the last time ive heard or seen kuru mentioned ingame
eat another brain to counterract kuru
(05-27-2022, 02:51 AM)Nihisohel Wrote: eat another brain to counterract kuru

Continue to consume brains to fight off the Kuru. Become the zomb.
I really dislike this change for several reasons:
1. It makes an already rare disease even weaker, it's very easy to get kuru and go to cloning.
2. The entire point of kuru is that it's uncurable.
3. That's... not how that works? G127 is not a cure, it offers immunity against infection. Also I'm not sure if it's an enzyme, it could get changed to mutated prion protein or just g127

This is a note for Millian: they tend to cause lethal neurodegenerative diseases, yes but prion proteins (PrP or PrNP) are not the same as prions, almost all instances of the infectious, bad prions have been mutations of PrP. PrP's function in the human body has not been made clear but removing it from mice has shown many changes. G127 is a polymorphism of PrP that has shown to provide protection against kuru infection.

Also you forgot to change your changelog after altering the name