Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Occupations before profiles
So I have no clue how large of a task this would be, or if there might be an easier way to do something similar, but I'd like the way you choose your occupations and profiles to change somewhat.

Currently each profile has its own occupations tab. This is fine for people without flavour texts or many profiles, but it comes into more of an issue if you're an RP player for example and have several characters for specific different jobs.

So if I want to include clown in my occupations, I can't, because I'll spawn with my big hair and flavour text. I could go onto a clown profile and cryo if I don't get clown, which is an annoying workaround. The best way to do something like that is latejoin, which isn't always what you want.

How I'd imagine it would work is you'd have a central occupations menu with a sub-menu for assigning profiles to jobs. This makes more sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Another thing this would benefit is cyborg and AI players. I think with this set up instead, you could change things to allow for cyborg/AI flavour texts.

Possible issues:

- Not much use to people without multiple profiles (probably easy to ignore a sub-menu if this is you)
- Programming
- Coding
- Like I don't know if this would require a substantial rework or not
Yes I agree, I always tought something similar would be great. I don't know if it would be a pain to code, but it would be awesome to assign profiles to certain occupation
Same! i love this idea too, i would love it so i could have a certain profiles for certain roles or antag! it would really help with the issues of getting the wrong job and having to play as a character you would rather be for a different job. maybe an example is, you want to play Scientist as John science who you have flavour text for and fits the theme of science and has some lore for it but instead get clown or something else but you would of rather played as your clown character or character made for that certain job! also if this could be done for antag too, it could be helpful for players that want to play as their certain evil character!

however....i too....lack wisdom in coding to know how hard this would be and if it would create many issues and if its worth the time to do, since i dont actually know fully how many people this would help heheh. i love the idea though!!
if i get back to playing again at some point, I can safely say i'd really like a feature like this. i feel like it would be a substantial rework regardless, though, especially since you'd have to marry it to the current way profiles and occupations are handled as opposed to it being a whole replacement, for obvious reasons. I cant immediately think of any good ways of handling such a system. The best ideas I have are still pretty inelegant and likely to confuse a new player, and that's not even taking into account the coding pains.