Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More unique guns for heads of staff
the hos has their lawbringer, the captain has 2 energy guns, the md has their tranq rifle, leaving the ce, hop, rd with nothing truly cool and unique. i think CE could use the most love since they have little else to do than tend to their glue eating engineers or hellburns 

now while i do say "gun" these were thought of as being more utility based with little to no capability to kill people. at most maybe render them immobile temporarily  by default. 

for the chief engineer i was inspired by the gloo gun from prey (2017) that lets you fire off compressed gel that lets you seal hull breaches and negate certain environmental hazards. 

so for the ce, something that could make sealing/repressurizing areas as well as handling environmental issues like fire or electrical issues (which could potentially make the CE the bane of arcfiends like how chaplain is to vampire/wizard)

in how this is executed i'm picturing something like a cross between the janitor's backpack vacuum + the rcd. now as previously stated, this gun would release foam in order to quickly repair and replaced damaged/destroyed walls and floors, and NOT destroy things like an rcd could. ideally it could also be done in such a way that it will not foam up and create walls 

firing mode would 1 release a wave of foam point-blank from where it's fired. anyone caught in the crossfire would get gunked and be rendered trapped inside of a cocoon, similar to how kudzu will wrap up a corpse before converting it into a kudzuman. harmless, but a little annoying to get out of.

firing mode 2 would extrude a foam wall ontop of a foam tile or a preexisting station floortile. 

firing mode 3 would be able to quickly extinguish fire/heat (which could later be used to  and also suck up and filter toxins (plasma, co2, whatever foul nasty shit finds itself into the air) and converts it back into breathable oxygen. fixing hull breaches is one thing but i feel like if you picked out some rando and asked him where the air hookups were on each map to properly restore atmospherics in case of a leak or whatever, they'd probably just shrug and say "i don't know".

and to properly weaponize this thing if you are a traitor CE, you could emag it and alter firing mode 3. rather than extracting toxins from the air, it could instead suck up oxygen into the backpack tank, and convert it into co2 or plasma, which could then be released into the air. it would require a bit of finesse and map knowledge to get the most out of a weaponized version since it should ideally be big, yellow-orange and knowing when to sneak around maint with this thing and going to more secluded areas to eliminate the air supply 

lastly in order to make this thing as anti-grife proof as possible since CE is a regular job:

1) make it id locked+fiinger print locked like the lawbringer. if the CE slot is empty, the user would need CE id access and then leave their fingerprint on it for it to function. that way, even if an enterprising traitor gets their hands on it, they will still need an emag in order to use it for their nefarious deeds. i feel like this is a fair compromise since with the hos and their lawbringer you've pretty much earned it if you're able to steal both the lawman and their arm 
2) make the backpack component take up both the back and belt slot and make it either shoot from the back (think of fludd from mario sunshine) or have a gun component that occupies one or both hands
3) incur a slight movespeed penalty

and finally thank you for coming to my ted talk
the command staff has guns as it's in their interest to act as security when necessary & defend themselves, the MD only has a gun because it makes sense to detain unruly patients. all the other heads have more job-appropriate unique items, like the aurora belt or the tele-sci.
(05-25-2022, 04:23 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: the command staff has guns as it's in their interest to act as security when necessary & defend themselves, the MD only has a gun because it makes sense to detain unruly patients. all the other heads have more job-appropriate unique items, like the aurora belt or the tele-sci.

Let me elobrate what every head has as their "unique" self defense items.

Captain: Stun/lazer gun or Sword. Captains armor or body armor.
HoP: Access-pro remote and armor. No weapons.
Bartender?: Shotgun with stun bullets to handle drunks.
CE: Aurora Belt and RCD. No weapons.
MD: Tranq Rifle / Mutadone Rifle , Doctors bag. No armor.
RD: Port-a-sci remote and Guard buddy programming.
HoS: Lawbringer and several accesories.
NTSO: ...Heavily armed and has a boomerang stun baton.

That's pretty much it. 
All of them have their own ways of dealing with threads, but remember one thing.
Captain, HoS and NTSO cannot become antagonist. (Captain used to be conspirator but I haven't seen that in ages.)
So the 3 most heavily armored Heads cannot start holding people at weapon point or execute someone.
cap can be antag on classic
NTSO and bartender (???) aren't heads

also, not every head needs any sort of dedicated self defense option. The game is rich with a variety of things to kill people with and most heads have access to plenty of opportunity to get them.
well as i outlined in my post, this is not intended to be a self defense weapon but rather a supportive tool gun rather than a murder gun
(05-25-2022, 11:11 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: NTSO and bartender (???) aren't heads

also, not every head needs any sort of dedicated self defense option. The game is rich with a variety of things to kill people with and most heads have access to plenty of opportunity to get them.

Basicly yes, not every head needs full on self defense.

Also NTSO and Bartender were "joke additions" cause they are one of a kind and spawn with weapons.

Overall I just wanted to give some clarity to show not every head has a gun and even some normal classes have guns including the chaplain.
Self defense is overrated. BECOME ROBUST!
Rocko
Give all staff assistants machine guns every round.