Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Pathology Rework: Generation, Symptoms, and Transmission
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[help wanted][input wanted][rework][WIP][balance]
About the PR
Unifies benign and malevolent symptoms into the symptoms file. Creates a dedicated transmission file for coding the new transmission system. Cleans up the main pathogen.dm by moving all transmission-related content. Cleans up pathogen generation to be simpler and more understandable.

Hopefully, this is the PR that marks the inflection point for pathology. Sentiment is not great, but I hope that this PR will finally work to resolve the most atrocious parts of playing with old pathology enabled.

I plan to make more PRs to fix pathology. Here is a living design doc that I am using to guide my work: https://hackmd.io/@XyzzyThePretender/B10Kp-DP5

Why's this needed?
The old transmission system is **not good.** Contagious diseases spread way too fast and mutated too quickly for anyone to properly respond. If pathology is to return, transmission must be completely reimagined. Isolation is no longer the only option. No single disease shall ravage Space Station 13 as was in the past. Pathogens may still be deadly, but the crew now stands a fighting chance to endure and recover from epidemics, natural or intentional.

Issues to address:
- Rebalance and standardize the code for **every symptom**
- Rework the rarity system into the expandable threat system
- Rework how transmission is controlled
- Setting a hard cap on cumulative infections per pathogen
- Coding a selection system for the chemical cure of a pathogen (also consider nonchemical cures like sleep, eating certain foods/drinks, temperature, exercise, etc.)
- Coding a new procedural generation system for pathogens with factors from the CDC-tiered system from PR#8710

Issues I need help with: (will update as I work, likely focus on how to handle proximity carrier-available checking)

Further features to add jointly with other PRs:
- Renaming a pathogen (help with word filters)
- Growing pathogen cultures in petri dishes

Follow-up PRs:
- Additional transmission types
- Additional symptoms
- Additional curing methods
- Playtesting Rebalances

This PR won't be ready to merge for some time.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)XyzzyThePretender
(*)Pathogen transmission is much simpler and less disgusting.
(+)A disease can only cause a hard capped number of cumulative infections before losing contagion.
(+)No more shall there be puddles and fart clouds of sick somehow identifiable by the pathogen name.
(*)Pathogen generation is revamped.
(+)Natural spaceborne illness is possible (don't worry, it's not contagious!)
(+)Pathogens, once fully documented, can be named!
(*)The CDC has finally updated its manual on symptoms.
(*)Pathogen cures are simpler, immediately effective at preventing sudden explosive death, and more variable.
(+)Dealing with an epidemic is now possible within the bounds of regular gameplay. Difficulty may vary.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Amazing. Yes pleaase.
Its important to note, the patho in code currently is very much not the patho of days past. Pathology underwent a massive rework already, and honestly its in a pretty good state balance wise, at least compared to the patho state youre making these changes based off of (things such as being able to personally cure yourself with really only a health scanner or a walk down to cargo have been added for example). I heavily recommend getting a good grasp of the current patho system before going further. A lot of these things seem to be addressing issues that have already been addressed, while not really touching on the core fundamental issues with patho (things like expansion of benefical symptoms giving a non antag use) (Ill probably dump an essay on one of these threads when Im bored but I dont feel like doing that currently so I wont elaborate too much about that). Also I personally recommend being patient with coding, and focusing these prs and threads on collecting overall feedback before going ahead and working out the specifics, patho rework would be really really hard, and as previously mentioned someone already did the process you underwent and with dev undersight too, and as can be seen its still not in game.
Would probably be a good idea to merge the three threads, so the discussion is all in one place
If they merge them, and only some features are wanted whereas others are rejected, they'll have to split them.
This way, specific things can be talked about and there's no need to package it all together so that it becomes all or nothing.
While atomization is good, these prs are pretty holistic, so youll want holistic feedback before going into the specifics. Patho in its current state is pretty holistic as is so you cant really just change one specific major aspect of it without ruining the whole structure.
(05-23-2022, 06:31 PM)Ikea Wrote: While atomization is good, these prs are pretty holistic, so youll want holistic feedback before going into the specifics. Patho in its current state is pretty holistic as is so you cant really just change one specific major aspect of it without ruining the whole structure.

definitely, i just posted a reply on another of these, which i mistakenly thought was the only one, this discussion should be definitely based of a single thread