Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[PR] Pathology Rework: The CDC and Cargo
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[input wanted][help wanted][rework]
About the PR
The CDC has begun outsourcing its pathogen analysis efforts to willing research facilities. There's nothing in the boxes yet, and the CDC is rather stingy with their samples. They aren't sending us anything... yet.

I plan to make more PRs to fix pathology. Here is a living design doc that I am using to guide my work: https://hackmd.io/@XyzzyThePretender/B10Kp-DP5

Why's this needed?
Pathology is integrated across many different files in the code. Cleanly rebuilding the main pathology code requires decoupling all of the auxillary connections. This PR decouples pathology and cargo-related files.

This is the first part of a hopefully long set of changes in order to rework pathology back into modern Goon. Changing the QM console is relatively simple compared to changing the pathology files. There are still significant issues to address:

- What happens when a CDC crate is destroyed
- Poor code form

Further features to add jointly with other PRs:

- Procedural Pathogen Generation
- Bounty Reward Pricing

Lastly, once this PR is functionally complete, I suggest the following PRs:

- Unique CDC crate spriting
- Crate tampering (emag) message alert on pathologist/medical PDAs
- Playtested value adjustments for bounty, initial fee, cooldown, etc.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)XyzzyThePretender
(*)Reworked the CDC page to prepare for a unique bounty system.
(+)Defined 3 new CDC crates using unique access permits, minus the pathogen samples.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Big if true.
Initial thoughts, fingerprinted crates seems kinda.. overkill/not good imo, id locks are the lock that the entirety of the station uses, except the lawbringer, which even that gets the fingerprints rather then "knowing" about them.

Secondly, pdaing half the crew on an *emag* seems kinda weird. Imo, the alert should just be to medical(who can tell sec over radio), and only if the crate is blown up, not emagged. This is just the initial thoughts from seeing the pr description

Also, having it be 100% rng, with no way to interact/control with viruses, seems very tedious to me, even more so, since they are limited to 3 times per round, and need many other ids/people to allow them. What would pathologists do after they finish the 3 quota, which could probably be done in the first 10 minutes of a round?