HoS application - Thomas Eastwood
  • Usual character name: Thomas Eastwood
  • BYOND username: QHD10
  • Discord username (if you are on our discord): qhd10
  • Goon servers you play: Goonstation 4, Goonstation 3.
  • Reason for application: I want to extend my helping capabilities and have the right to manage Security without being an aggressive
       and rude HoS member, Also it makes it easier to teach Secassistants and new players
       how to be a great Secoff. Also, I thought it would be fun as it would be a new experience for me. (Also funny clothing)
  • Security experience (300 word minimum): I have started playing SS13 about 3 months ago, first, I became a janitor as it was the easiest role
 to comprehend, then I slowly moved up to Secofff in my first month after I played a total of 30 rounds, at first, I found it scary and was afraid of dying and getting       beaten up by an antag, but after a while,
 I ACTUALLY was having fun, without the fear of dying and fearing antagonists. Then being a Security Officer became a regular thing for me, and I started having         fun enforcing the law and studying it.

From there, i kept having fun and kept on learning more about the station,(mostly about medical and technical stuff) and the roles within it. Eventually, I started playing more complicated roles, like mechanic and roboticist,
but SecOff was by far the most enjoyable role I've ever played. I also met some amazing people while my experience as a Secoff, like Alex and Cara. I've learned so many
things from these experiences, like being respectful to antags, no matter what they have done, and always being polite to staff and antagonists alike. I also learned to keep my
cool in stressful situations, like a clown breaking into AI's core room and implanting numerous modules that drive the AI insane or rogue Command Staff making the AI rogue
and order the AI to kill the Security team or a Staff Assistant murdering someone and stealing their identity and pretend to be them.

Eventually, I started teaching new Secassistants whenever I got the chance to, the feeling of teaching new players was amazing, and I wanted to extend my help to others by
becoming Head of Security since it made teaching new Secassistants easier. Also, I wanted to experience something different and wanted to organize the Security Department
in shifts and supervise them. I have been playing as a Secoff for 1 month and a half, and I think I'm experienced enough to tackle this goal.
  • Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?

I have some advice for new Secoffs:

1. Don't stun suspects for no discernable reason, only stun them if they flee or try to harm others/you.
     2. Prioritise protecting the crew, and not yourself, help out the crew as much as you can.
     3. Do not do field searches, I learned this the hard way, some people just take the suspect's stuff and run away with it.
     4. Always keep your cool.
     5. Be polite to antags, and treat them like actual humans.
     6. You only need a Baton and a Taser, any lethal weaponry isn't necessary most of the time, even if it is necessary, there's the armory for that.
     7. Don't execute antagonists on sight, however, if they are armed you are allowed to shoot back.
     8. Use secmate, it is very useful.
     9. Don't be shy to make mistakes and ask questions!
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

RD made the AI and the bots rogue and sent them to protect him and the AI, we managed to defeat all the bots
   and reach the AI core, but the AI retracted the bridge that leads to the core, we managed to reach the AI core's room,
   via using an oxygen tank and a spacesuit, there, we hacked the AI core's door and managed to get inside. After we
   got inside, the RD and the HoP was in the core room, we managed to remove the malicious laws, but the RD drew a cylumsaber and attacked us.
   He then teleported into the armory and armed himself, there was an epic standoff between Security and the RD.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Adding field blood testing kits, so you can easily check someones blood.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

In a full team, I usually listen to the HoS if we have one, if we don't then I patrol around the station and question suspicious people.
     If I'm the only Secoff then I'm usually cautious and try to help the crew out as much as possible.
  • Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Oh great mime,
   Where have you went?
   Your face,
   It is quite sad,

Oh what have you done
   great little mime,
   because your face
   is quite down.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

Mime security, every officer wears a mime outfit and a mime mask and then acts like a mime. Instead of batons, we use baguettes.
  • Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
    I got banned for killing as a nonantag, don't remember when though.

Thanks for your time!   space bear
-1, had a round earlier today where you were a vampire detective and you were very open about being a vampire.
Later in the round you decided to attack a crewmember and as the only person that was able to help (there were no security officers or an HoS) I stopped you. And you tried to resist then used your abilities to get out and pulled a gun which you loaded the gun. This is all fine and normal so in response I shot you with my gun. Which I also thought was fine.

After this you started talking in LOOC about how this was against the rules and I was "executing antags on sight". You also mentioned Space Law and talked about various other things. I would expect an HoS to be able to keep their cool and just ahelp and move on in situations like these. And the things you said in-game go against your advice for new officers. So I cannot really say I see you as a good fit for an HoS.
You May have misunderstood me that round, i reloaded the gun that had lethals inside of it, so it switched it with stuns, we did talk this about this and you said that you get very nervous with standoffs like this, which i understand. Anyways it is not fun killing the antagonist either ways, since a round with not antags is boring.

Plus that was an antag round, i usually act and choose a certain persona while i play as an antag.
also the gun was in my holster, not in my hand.
I will be frank, you genuinly have some very good bases as an officer. You communicate well, respond on calls that crew do on general comms, do some mostly good RP with crew, set fair brig timers along other things.
But, in my opinion, you still need a bit more time before becoming HOS to get some experience about some more of the more things sec and HOS in particular can do, but do on very rare ocasions, especially when to execute and when not to, when to open armoury and other stuff like that.
You also need a bit more eperience in training secassess (or other officers), a thing you already do sometimes, but, sometimes you skip important parts of training (each time something different), most likely due to you being somewhat unfamiliar with the process of training new members of the team.

For now, it's not good enough, but you are going in a good direction: keep it up.
+0.5

That said I do hope to see your app in 60 days or so, and at that time to be able to confidentely and wholeheartedly upvote it.
my thoughts are neutral, I havent interacted with you on an antag-sec basis, but just from within team stuff:

- You go for PDA searches and pinning people with open uplinks as spies/traitors or even just contraband fairly early, either in the round or in the antag's narrative arc. it's not totally reprehensible as a style but is much more how I act on classic versus on RP, round circumstances willing

- as captain and sec, you have a tendency to lose your cool often. Keeping "cool" isnt just a "dont start allcapsing curses and being OOC angry IC" thing, but it's about tonality you set for the team, and I've seen a lot of allcapsing urgency and upheaval of calm and organization when trying to follow what antags are doing or where they are. Your mood and presence in a round as HoS can knowingly or unknowingly sway others' around you, and a frantic group of sec is not often a fun one to participate in.
(06-21-2022, 08:39 PM)AlbertaPorter Wrote: Thanks for the shares.
I dont want to be rude but, what do you mean by thanks for the shares?
(05-19-2022, 12:04 PM)qhd10 Wrote:
  • Usual character name: Thomas Eastwood
  • BYOND username: QHD10
  • Discord username (if you are on our discord): qhd10
  • Goon servers you play: Goonstation 4, Goonstation 3.
  • Reason for application: I want to extend my helping capabilities and have the right to manage Security without being an aggressive
       and rude HoS member, Also it makes it easier to teach Secassistants and new players
       how to be a great Secoff. Also, I thought it would be fun as it would be a new experience for me. (Also funny clothing)
  • Security experience (300 word minimum): I have started playing SS13 about 3 months ago, first, I became a janitor as it was the easiest role
 to comprehend, then I slowly moved up to Secofff in my first month after I played a total of 30 rounds, at first, I found it scary and was afraid of dying and getting       beaten up by an antag, but after a while,
 I ACTUALLY was having fun, without the fear of dying and fearing antagonists. Then being a Security Officer became a regular thing for me, and I started having         fun enforcing the law and studying it.

From there, i kept having fun and kept on learning more about the station,(mostly about medical and technical stuff) and the roles within it. Eventually, I started playing more complicated roles, like mechanic and roboticist,
but SecOff was by far the most enjoyable role I've ever played. I also met some amazing people while my experience as a Secoff, like Alex and Cara. I've learned so many
things from these experiences, like being respectful to antags, no matter what they have done, and always being polite to staff and antagonists alike. I also learned to keep my
cool in stressful situations, like a clown breaking into AI's core room and implanting numerous modules that drive the AI insane or rogue Command Staff making the AI rogue
and order the AI to kill the Security team or a Staff Assistant murdering someone and stealing their identity and pretend to be them.

Eventually, I started teaching new Secassistants whenever I got the chance to, the feeling of teaching new players was amazing, and I wanted to extend my help to others by
becoming Head of Security since it made teaching new Secassistants easier. Also, I wanted to experience something different and wanted to organize the Security Department
in shifts and supervise them. I have been playing as a Secoff for 1 month and a half, and I think I'm experienced enough to tackle this goal.
  • Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?

I have some advice for new Secoffs:

1. Don't stun suspects for no discernable reason, only stun them if they flee or try to harm others/you.
     2. Prioritise protecting the crew, and not yourself, help out the crew as much as you can.
     3. Do not do field searches, I learned this the hard way, some people just take the suspect's stuff and run away with it.
     4. Always keep your cool.
     5. Be polite to antags, and treat them like actual humans.
     6. You only need a Baton and a Taser, any lethal weaponry isn't necessary most of the time, even if it is necessary, there's the armory for that.
     7. Don't execute antagonists on sight, however, if they are armed you are allowed to shoot back.
     8. Use secmate, it is very useful.
     9. Don't be shy to make mistakes and ask questions!
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

RD made the AI and the bots rogue and sent them to protect him and the AI, we managed to defeat all the bots
   and reach the AI core, but the AI retracted the bridge that leads to the core, we managed to reach the AI core's room,
   via using an oxygen tank and a spacesuit, there, we hacked the AI core's door and managed to get inside. After we
   got inside, the RD and the HoP was in the core room, we managed to remove the malicious laws, but the RD drew a cylumsaber and attacked us.
   He then teleported into the armory and armed himself, there was an epic standoff between Security and the RD.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Adding field blood testing kits, so you can easily check someones blood.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

In a full team, I usually listen to the HoS if we have one, if we don't then I patrol around the station and question suspicious people.
     If I'm the only Secoff then I'm usually cautious and try to help the crew out as much as possible.
  • Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Oh great mime,
   Where have you went?
   Your face,
   It is quite sad,

Oh what have you done
   great little mime,
   because your face
   is quite down.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

Mime security, every officer wears a mime outfit and a mime mask and then acts like a mime. Instead of batons, we use baguettes.
  • Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
    I got banned for killing as a nonantag, don't remember when though.

Thanks for your time!   space bear

I remember seeing you off and on in goon 3. Overall, your a pretty good officer. I wouldn't mind having you as HoS.

Overall, your a pretty good officer. I wouldn't mind having you as HoS.
(06-22-2022, 05:52 PM)AlbertaPorter Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 03:47 AM)qhd10 Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 08:39 PM)AlbertaPorter Wrote: Thanks for the shares.
I dont want to be rude but, what do you mean by thanks for the shares?

oh. I don't mean anything, simply the article is useful to me, saying thank you to someone is my way of respecting that person. [Image: sad.png]

Ahh, sorry then.
I think you'd be a good HoS, this cycle I'm not sure though. I'd need more time with you to get a proper opinion on how you handle security matters. Outside of security, you've always been an outreaching force ready to grab a newbie and show them something that'll blow their mind. I don't think I've ever seen you exclude people, despite dragging me along for fun outings in space often if I'm playing Caroline.

I think overall you leave a positive impact, but if I had to say anything I'll be honest, I felt a bit spoiled on an azone before when I was taken along to rush through for the loot at the end. I feel you have a habit of making things feel slightly classic when you get into secret content. I've seen you take officers along for azones before I think, which isn't a bad thing and I haven't seen you take others, it was a bit ago besides. I think it might just be a good thing to keep in mind and be careful with that content if you get the position.

+1, if not now, then later.

I have seen you habitually abuse azones for powering through things, getting the agent card from the azone when non antag, wearing syndicate gear, and distributing it to others.

The Azones are not meant for power boosting and the behavior is extremely unbecoming of a prospective representee of the best we have, which I usually regard a HoS as being a player who follows and adheres to every rule and guideline.

I have also witnessed you be extremely overzealous on security, doing pda searches, checking every box, and also seen you picking up and using and carrying antag's gear and weapons as a sec off on one or two occasions, as well as if the bartender is arrested keeping their shotgun for yourself.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of positive community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be August 26. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!