Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
3d Station?
I want to learn game development and I fucking love space station 13 (and just games requiring brain power in general). So I'm learning unreal engine and C++ with the hopes of one day developing space station 13 but with good graphics and first person and 3d. I don't really like the topdown tbh. I feel it stifles shooting and collaboration. (You can't find your teammates when they a meter walk away). I'd also implement voice chat for better coordination. Basically I would do everything possible to make people better able to collaborate in teams. I know it's big af but I've been looking for some kind of coding project I can enjoy and I think I finally found one. So it's not about the destination to me as much as it is about the journey. My current goal is to make a demo to get people intrested in maybe helping me develop it, and it'll probably take me about a month or two to learn unreal engine, and some more time to brush up on C++ (I already know some OOP and C, so it can't be that hard). It sounds hard but I guess I just love learning shit. I've taught myself basic computer architecture (basic as in it took 50 hours, computers are complex af)  and C in my free time so it's not my first time learning things independently. 

I also have an idea to implement a thing called abstraction into the game. (I get this idea from computer science.) Basically abstraction is hiding the details of a complex system so it's usable by people who don't know how it works. For example, in a medkit could be a "heal" mender which heals all damages except o2, and a defib, and a crit mix (like epi and salb). So it would be more accessible to new players. It would also allow a sec for example, who knows nothing about med, to heal themselves. My idea is to allow for more specialization in jobs. It would also allow me to go insane with complexity, because the complexity is optional and won't ruin the experience. it'll also allow me to develop the higher layers of abstraction first and then implement the lower ones later. If for example someone wants to make a serum that would make them borderline unkillable, they'd have to know chemistry and how chems work, as well as medical. But abstraction would make the game a lot more accessible in my opinion. Jobs should of course require knowledge/skill though. The idea is just to make staff assistant easier for new players, and to allow people to e.g. heal themselves. The idea is to never have complexity feel mandatory, so the game is playable (but not "winnable") with (almost) no knowledge. 

I've talked about this in game and I've had mixed reactions, some said it was interesting and some suplexed me instantly. One guy even tried to kill me and I'm pretty sure he was self antagging, so an admin investigated it. I've been told that this is "dangerous rhetoric". A doctor also pulled me into a room and beat me up. But multiple people advised I post it on the forums though, so I took there advice. 

Does this sound like something anyone would be intrested in? It's ok if the answers no, I'd just like to hear why, so I can fix my idea. I'm curious as to what the interest in a game like this is. I also know there's SS3d but apparently that's stagnating. Also it's cartoony graphics and it's top down which I always hated about the game, I always felt those things were created by limitations in technology.

I have a doc here of what I have planned so far: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Rww...sp=sharing
It's long so I wouldn't be surprised if no one reads it smile

The goal is basically to make the game more accessible, but keep the complexity and honestly probably add more, it'll probably take a few years though.

If anyone's intrested in helping me make this, you don't have to know anything. Tbh I need all the help I can get. Just be willing to spend a few hours of your day learning. But seriously it doesn't have to be big, even just some advice on topics to focus on from someone who knows about game development, or just there opinion on this idea would be helpful af. I'm bad with pictures so I think it'd be cool if someone could help me model things. That said I'm still willing to do this on my own, just curious if anyone is intrested. Thanks for reading this, it's quite long I know.
Your idea is fine. I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of work it would take. There have been several attempts at SS13 but better over the years and almost every single one of them has failed because of one reason or another. As far as “better graphics=better game” lose that mentality if you enter game design. I will take a well put together core game loop with crap graphics over stunning graphics but the game is objectively terrible any day of the week.
Thank you for the advice!! I'm not a very visual person so I probably would be better at game design anyway. If space station 13s graphics taught me anything it'd be that you can get used to literally anything lol. But I do want good or at least ok graphics. Good graphics would attract a larger amount of people which I think would make the game a lot more fun. Plus it'd be more realistic which would help with RP. But yeah I definitely agree that how the fun game is is way more important.
Literally hundreds of people have tried to port ss13 over to different platforms (not even updating graphics or making it 3d or adding anything, literally just moving it off of byond) and so far every single project has failed because of the ridiculous amount of content that is inside of ss13 (remember that it's been continuously developed for 20+ years). ss14 is trying right now, and they seem to be doing a good job, so who knows, maybe it'll happen, but this isn't something one person's going to be able to do overnight.
(05-24-2022, 06:31 AM)AmazingDragons Wrote: Literally hundreds of people have tried to port ss13 over to different platforms (not even updating graphics or making it 3d or adding anything, literally just moving it off of byond) and so far every single project has failed because of the ridiculous amount of content that is inside of ss13 (remember that it's been continuously developed for 20+ years). ss14 is trying right now, and they seem to be doing a good job, so who knows, maybe it'll happen, but this isn't something one person's going to be able to do overnight.

Just look at all the amongus VR/3D things... it instantly starts losing it's CHARM and feels cheaper.
The reason we like SS13 on goon is because it has an iconic look.