HoS Application- ThyOverlord (Overia Nomachy)
Usual character name: Overia Thy Nomachy
BYOND username: ThyOverlord
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 
ThyOverlord#0616
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 3 and 4

Reason for application:
Security is a job I’ve enjoyed for a very long time, I have applied in the past but was rejected. I firmly believe I've resolved the issues I had, and I'm a much better player for it. I am applying because I want to be someone officers can rely on fully, to support them, and show them the right path in hard situations.

Security experience (300 word minimum): 
I originally joined goon 2 years ago, up until just before the second tomato tide I never actually played often. Around that time I began playing security, I adored it. It instantly clicked with me that the chaos and the responsibility of the role was insanely enjoyable, it helped me deal with my ADHD due to the tons of stuff that constantly needed to be done. 
Since then I’ve spent my time teaching new security officers, and even seeing few of those officers become some of the hos we have seen accepted recently. I always try to be a leader when the team needs one, and I try to think it does help.
HoS is the bar I’ve tried to hold myself at for a very long time, and I want nothing more than to be someone security officers and new players can rely on fully. That I believe is the role of HoS. A girder to help lighten the load of security and help them flourish as officers.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Prioritize your own health. I so SO often see officers put this role over their own health. It’s something that I struggled with as an officer too, feeling that I owe it to the other players on the server to stay around at my own peril to try and make their rounds better. I implore all officers, and any players to put themselves over a space game, you owe no one anything, please take care of yourself. 
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    I think the most valuable improvement that can be added to security is tables, many stations already have an ok amount of tables, but as I’ve seen just a few more can completely change the mood within the department, from officers casually using it as a pinpointer pile or something to slam clowns on; to something that they spend time at talking and writing up reports or holding debriefs on that ling that just ate the captain. I believe wholeheartedly that sec departments would only benefit from more table space!

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    When I am part of a full team I tend to take a calmer role and try to support my team, I will be extremely active on coms and let the team know about anything that may develop into a situation, I will often also expand the desks and organize the department for convenience, I also try my best to ensure that my team is familiar with security ensuring no one is new to the role, and if they are I will spend as long as needed teaching them. When solo I instead move to general coms communicating with the crew and trying to build relations  and making sure the crew knows they have an officer ready to help with any situation, I also am alot more active outside the department when I’m alone, stopping by departments and seeing how they are doing, making sure they have no issues or saw anything suspicious.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Beyond the walls I hear the bark, A narc activated within the dark, A zap, a crackle. and lastly a spark, But yet I ample and quick to a start, The wirecutters ‘quipped, And beneath they part, I harken the narc as they slam on the door, Trapped, they lay on the floor, The archfiend clown contained, As I assured.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I still miss running security cafes, I loved it as a gimmick, setting up a little cafe, serving custom donuts and coffee to the crew. It was a simple gimmick, but one I have very fond memories of!
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None!
-1 from me; feedback from others prior withstanding.

I have continued to see you get overly hostile in stressful situations to the point of lashing out with profanities, insults, and in one round, getting angry enough at me to quit the round.

most of this comes from just plain chaotic rounds where there were too many things for too few officers, and when this happens, you have to do your best but also let it go. I dont need to be chewed out on PDA or in person for arresting someone who continues to commit crimes; and pulling teammates into a discussion in front of other players to ask why they didnt handle the portabrigged changeling when they reported they were dying and were dead for 20 minutes; these are things that are actively destructive to a team's work ethic. there are times I have had to walk away from you because you did not want to de-escalate and I've pulled my headset out and put it away.
(05-13-2022, 07:10 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: -1 from me; feedback from others prior withstanding.

I have continued to see you get overly hostile in stressful situations to the point of lashing out with profanities, insults, and in one round, getting angry enough at me to quit the round.

most of this comes from just plain chaotic rounds where there were too many things for too few officers, and when this happens, you have to do your best but also let it go. I dont need to be chewed out on PDA or in person for arresting someone who continues to commit crimes; and pulling teammates into a discussion in front of other players to ask why they didnt handle the portabrigged changeling when they reported they were dying and were dead for 20 minutes; these are things that are actively destructive to a team's work ethic. there are times I have had to walk away from you because you did not want to de-escalate and I've pulled my headset out and put it away.
Hey herb! Thanks for bringing this up! You are completely right I handled that extremely poorly, at the time I was still learning how to control my stress. I am sure I have improved on it since this incident ALOT. For further context, I wasn't mad they weren't dealt with. I was mad at that time, because after being left in the brig for 20 minutes they were executed and tossed in the trench without consulting the team on coms at all. I handled the situation extremely poorly and I'd never act the same way I did then.
That's nef not herb. I haven't seen you much as I recently got back into the swing of things so for now I can't comment if you're fit for it or not.
can't recommend, I haven't personally seen the patterns of behavior I outlined on your previous app repeat but I also haven't seen you making a strong effort to break them and improve. thus, I'm still left uneasy at the prospect of you being put in charge of a sec team
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of positive community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be August 26. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!