Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Detective should get a Scuttlebot by default
As the title says.

I don't see why this is an antag only item. It fits perfectly for detective investigations. It's not powerful at all, it literally just takes pictures and does a flash with a 15 second cooldown. It'd also make seeing a scuttlebot less "OBVIOUS ANTAG GET EM".

It'd just be a fun little tool for the detective to have. (Double points if you put a build in forensic scanner in it.)

As for it being an antag only item? The antag version should honestly have like a built-in tiny gun or a self destruct, but that's for another suggestion.
yea is is cute af and doesnt work that much as an antag item, it would be a great item by default for the det
Having made the scuttlebot, here's a few things for considerations.
The scuttlebot can pass nearly every doors, so its very easy to both steal something precious (for instance the captain's spare), and be a dastardly thing that is extremely hard to catch if you weave in and out of doors.
It can hold small items such as a gun or even a c saber, and has an innate 50% chance to dodge projectiles entirely, which makes fighting with it a possibility if you want.
A scuttlebot can rogue the ai in record time, making it quite possibly the easiest tool to rogue it entirely.
If you give the scuttlebot a simple flash, and bind your innate flash ability to a key, run up to someone and click them with the flash the same moment you hit them with your ability, you get a near guaranteed stun and can follow up with more flashes. The scuttlebot can then strip you of your items or even your id and run off.

Also did you know that the breaching charges in the armory are generally out in the open? And that they are considered small items? You can sneak in there with the scuttlebot, post your body outside of the armory, blow it up from inside with little to no effort and subsequently loot it before anyone figures out where the boom came from.

I've heard of some creative uses of the scuttlebot, such as S.house redeeming an armory located spy bounty by bringing their pda there with the bot, then the item to redeem, redeeming it on the spot, then leaving with the acquired bounty.

I can agree that the scuttlebot may seem quite weak at a glance, and maybe it should be buffed if it truly needs it, but it's mostly meant as a way to sneakily steal stuff and be hard to catch, while also having some fun combos with specific items.

Edit: Also this is quite niche, but if you die while controlling the scuttlebot, you stay in. So if you for instance knew for sure that you were about to die, if you managed to slip on the goggles you could make out with the scuttlebot and enjoy life as a free immediate antag critter (provided you were an antag before)
It would be cool to have a nerfed version for the non-antag detective. Those little guys are really cute, and it would make it less obvious that the detective is an antag as soon as you spot the little bot
If we want to make this item a detective item the following needs to happen:

1: Det cannot be an antagonist ever anymore. Cause now the det has so much tool kit. (or nerf the bug)
2: Security needs a tracker for the bug.
3: Lock Detective behind "X amount of shifts"

Since the detective is one of the most POWERFULL SECURITY UNITS IN THE GAME! I am not joking. The only thing that makes a security officer balanced with them is the fact they get Sec-HUDS and Semi AA. So yea...
(05-11-2022, 02:10 PM)Bartimeus Wrote: Having made the scuttlebot, here's a few things for considerations.
The scuttlebot can pass nearly every doors, so its very easy to both steal something precious (for instance the captain's spare), and be a dastardly thing that is extremely hard to catch if you weave in and out of doors.
It can hold small items such as a gun or even a c saber, and has an innate 50% chance to dodge projectiles entirely, which makes fighting with it a possibility if you want.
A scuttlebot can rogue the ai in record time, making it quite possibly the easiest tool to rogue it entirely.
If you give the scuttlebot a simple flash, and bind your innate flash ability to a key, run up to someone and click them with the flash the same moment you hit them with your ability, you get a near guaranteed stun and can follow up with more flashes. The scuttlebot can then strip you of your items or even your id and run off.

Also did you know that the breaching charges in the armory are generally out in the open? And that they are considered small items? You can sneak in there with the scuttlebot, post your body outside of the armory, blow it up from inside with little to no effort and subsequently loot it before anyone figures out where the boom came from.

I've heard of some creative uses of the scuttlebot, such as S.house redeeming an armory located spy bounty by bringing their pda there with the bot, then the item to redeem, redeeming it on the spot, then leaving with the acquired bounty.

I can agree that the scuttlebot may seem quite weak at a glance, and maybe it should be buffed if it truly needs it, but it's mostly meant as a way to sneakily steal stuff and be hard to catch, while also having some fun combos with specific items.

Edit: Also this is quite niche, but if you die while controlling the scuttlebot, you stay in. So if you for instance knew for sure that you were about to die, if you managed to slip on the goggles you could make out with the scuttlebot and enjoy life as a free immediate antag critter (provided you were an antag before)

How about the normal detective item just doesn't get the hand then? I mean it'd still pretty much have a lot of the same stuff, but also would make it more vague if a skitterbot is blatantly "The detective is evil lets go kill them." I feel like compared with other tools they have it's not really that crazy of a stretch.
Without the hand its still useful. And it casts doubt on if the detective is actually a traitor or not. Both are wins. I say make the non traitor version without the hand and call it a day.
While it fits the det.. I will remind people... Det has alot of tools already that are amazing.
Though removing the pick up arm as DioChasek says.. Is litterly the only nerf the bug needs in my opinion.

But the det also has the camera monitor. This means the det can check any camera it likes, while clunky they do have the option to do this.
Infact they have two VERSIONS OF IT! 1 is the camera monitor item, the other is the DET_NET Vr glasses wich ALSO has security records.
The only difference between the two is you don't hear the radio or anything in VR. (Wich to be honest I think det_vr would be great with sec-radio on it)

So the scuttle-bug would be good if: "The area is locked, Camera's are unplugged or not available, the det can't get killed"
Would be great in planning a breach for kidnappings. But.. overall.. It's just neat right now, while the det "technically" doesn't need it.
If anything I think Security officers should have a "drone deploy" unit too then. Wich are in the armory.
What if the Scuttlebot was added as an item head revs could get. Perfect for safe surveillance to find heads and general thievery. And if it can hold a gun it could probably hold a rev flash for extra dastardly shenanigans.

Plus, putting the funni hat in more hands (Since I think spy thieves can get it too) is a gain for traitor dets to throw people off their trail.
(05-11-2022, 02:34 PM)alexandregtg Wrote: It would be cool to have a nerfed version for the non-antag detective. Those little guys are really cute, and it would make it less obvious that the detective is an antag as soon as you spot the little bot

Hard support to this idea, a lot of job specific traitor items are modifications of basic departmental/job items. Some are more visible than others but having a nerfed scuttlebot (so for example caps ID doesn’t instantly get snatched/maybe they can’t move through bolted doors) would be nice
(05-12-2022, 07:06 AM)Harry Wizard Wrote: What if the Scuttlebot was added as an item head revs could get. Perfect for safe surveillance to find heads and general thievery. And if it can hold a gun it could probably hold a rev flash for extra dastardly shenanigans.

Plus, putting the funni hat in more hands (Since I think spy thieves can get it too) is a gain for traitor dets to throw people off their trail.

Its much too detective themed for that imo
Like others have said, a ton of traitor items are just “evil” versions of normal job equipment. Currently if you see a scuttlebot you immediately know the detective is evil.

Also it’s just fun and cute, it’s just a remote controlled camera. Have the normal job scuttlebot be nerfed. Removing just the hand alone I think would be enough. At that point it’s just like any random pest but it can take photos.
(05-14-2022, 08:32 AM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: Like others have said, a ton of traitor items are just “evil” versions of normal job equipment. Currently if you see a scuttlebot you immediately know the detective is evil.

Also it’s just fun and cute, it’s just a remote controlled camera. Have the normal job scuttlebot be nerfed. Removing just the hand alone I think would be enough. At that point it’s just like any random pest but it can take photos.

Pretty much this.
giving the detective a scuttlebot can prove to be a very interesting addition to the detective
would it be powerful, probably
Several people have been requesting it. So here it is. Det now gets a nerfed scuttlebot without hands or a flash, but with an added ability to scan for forensics!
And more!

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/8651