Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Ling Ability - Doppelganger
Cool idea, I think it's totally fine as long as it's behind a large point cost and cooldown.
(11-08-2022, 02:29 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Cool idea, I think it's totally fine as long as it's behind a large point cost and cooldown.

Yeah of course, it just gives more options and I think fits thematically. The fact that it would cost between 10-20 dna points. (Needing to eat one or two whole people just to make one.)

And the fact that it's not really meant to be robust as a human. (Lower max health, lower stamina). More of a stealth tool/distraction. I think would make them rare enough and not spammable at all.
Very cool. Obviously something that could change the changeling gamemode but that's really not a bad thing. Shake it up, I wanna meet these creepy dopplegangers!

One thing I have to say though, if the DNA cost was less or equal to 1 kill I think it would create a "meta" of immediately putting people back in their own bodies to shamble around, which isn't nearly as interesting flavour-wise as strangers inhabiting the bodies of new people. Maybe worth making the former impossible to avoid this just becoming a thrall feature.
(11-06-2022, 04:34 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I got another idea for the changeling to gain DNA or victims.
Something else then this doppleganger stuff...

Don't know your idea, but I just randomly had the brain-thought about, what if DNA absorbtion was over time when you stab someone? Instead of it being all or nothing? Let me elaborate. Currently Ling absorb is a long channel, that works like this.
1. Extend Proboscis
2. Stab with Proboscis (This actually does a bit of damage which is neat.)
3. Absorb - Get 10 DNA, kill victim.

What IF, it was instead.

1. Extend and Stab with Proboscis (Happens a decent amount quicker.)
2. Start to suck - Rapid onset of toxins.
3. Slowly start to gain DNA until they are finally fully drained.

The difference being that the ling starts to gain a little bit of DNA quicker in the channel and overtime, even if they get interrupted at the last second. I might make another entire suggestion over this.
(12-07-2022, 09:29 AM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 04:34 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I got another idea for the changeling to gain DNA or victims.
Something else then this doppleganger stuff...

Don't know your idea, but I just randomly had the brain-thought about, what if DNA absorbtion was over time when you stab someone? Instead of it being all or nothing? Let me elaborate. Currently Ling absorb is a long channel, that works like this.
1. Extend Proboscis
2. Stab with Proboscis (This actually does a bit of damage which is neat.)
3. Absorb - Get 10 DNA, kill victim.

What IF, it was instead.

1. Extend and Stab with Proboscis (Happens a decent amount quicker.)
2. Start to suck - Rapid onset of toxins.
3. Slowly start to gain DNA until they are finally fully drained.

The difference being that the ling starts to gain a little bit of DNA quicker in the channel and overtime, even if they get interrupted at the last second. I might make another entire suggestion over this.

This BASICLY allows the ling to not kill their victims in RP and if they get interrupted, they got some tools to fight back with.
It makes an interresting result!
(05-11-2022, 06:05 AM)Jakson Wrote: What if the doppelganger started visually becoming more rotten after 5-10 minutes until it's very obvious they are a walking corpse spewing miasma?

yes
while i can get past the fact it really isn't thematic with changeling itself (ultimately stealth, with limb critters being distractions) - i'm not keen on lings having the means to create people due to how trivial it is to deceive people with a partner.
Super cool idea and on classic would make ling rounds less a sharp drop from of nothing much going on/Maybe husks found and searching being done into HOLY SHIT SHAMBLER EVERYONE GET IN HERE NOW