Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Ling Ability - Doppelganger
I feel like I have rambled about this in bigger posts but I feel like posting it on it's own.

Ability - Doppelganger Cost: 10-20 DNA Points. (Not sure exact cost, but expensive.)
This requires a husked corpse.

Here is how it will work, you inject a member of your hivemind into the husked corpse. The husk will then transform and hatch into the original person that husk was. With the hivemind member in control. They are still connected to the Master Lings hivemind. Now this is not just a magic revival for human minion/servants. There's more to them.

The doppelganger leaves behind a gross hatched egg-thing so people know there is one around. It has much lower max health than a human. Probably only 100, and has one ability. It can activate this ability whenever it wants, and it will also automatically activate if they enter crit. (100 Damage)
The doppelganger ability is "Shed Disguise".

This essentially turns them into a miniature shambler. Ideally it'd have a different sprite than current shambler but that's more work. Basically a spooky flesh-thing. It's MUCH weaker than a normal shambler, and they can't turn back into a human disguise at that point, but it is permanent. A small natural regeneration and some claws but yeah that's about it. It's essentially a spooky monster that can help Lings be more stealthy and give the crew more paranoia and false info.

Then when it's found out, it turns into a scary monster that will most likely just be mobbed and die.

When it dies it explodes into gibs much like the critter self destruct.
sounds rad tbh, would love more team work with the hivemind as a ling
So basically the vamps thrall ability but with a husk and hivemind? Might be funny
should probably have either a hard cap on the number of these a ling can make per round or a dna cost a lot higher than 10, to ensure that lings can't just make everyone they kill into a doppelganger
I like it but it kind of makes limb critters redundant. The proposed Doppleganger better in every way than a limb, it doesn't stand out, its sturdy, and its potentially deadly. Limb critters are none of these things. It also fundamentally changes the power structure around a changeling. Currently the changeling as intended removes the crew one by one in an attempt to stay hidden because numbers ultimately are their greatest weakness. With this change every kill you make adds another antag to the round much like the vampire, but unlike thralls these as proposed don't stand out like a sore thumb effectively making the ling a rev lite. Add in more than one and the station could be overwhelmed in short order especially on a low pop round.
(05-10-2022, 07:24 PM)DioChasek Wrote: I like it but it kind of makes limb critters redundant. The proposed Doppleganger better in every way than a limb, it doesn't stand out, its sturdy, and its potentially deadly. Limb critters are none of these things. It also fundamentally changes the power structure around a changeling. Currently the changeling as intended removes the crew one by one in an attempt to stay hidden because numbers ultimately are their greatest weakness. With this change every kill you make adds another antag to the round much like the vampire, but unlike thralls these as proposed don't stand out like a sore thumb effectively making the ling a rev lite. Add in more than one and the station could be overwhelmed in short order especially on a low pop round.

It's why it would be expensive, while limb critters are basically super cheap.

They aren't replacing limb critters. If the cost would be 20 dna points, that means you could only make one for every two kills, and that's IF you don't use any other abilities that cost DNA points. Furthermore, the purpose of it isn't really to just have them be an extra player that's as hardy as any other player. They're basically just walking monsters. Hell in addition to the less health, give them less stamina too while still disguised. As if it takes all their energy to continue pretending to be human.

(Actually in my opinion limb critters should be free considering how weak they are and the fact that they handicap you but that's a discussion for another time.)
I think in conjunction with a limb critter cost reduction it could work but I dunno feels just a bit much.
Limb critters are already pretty redundant, its funny to make a meme little butt crab time to time but I'd honestly spend much more DNA to just make a person. It also has the restriction of only being able to be made when you actually have a linged corpse on hand, and would also have a cast timer.

It also takes away a lot of the Lings DNA, so you have less shambler options, which is really one of the fun parts of ling. I say add it, new things are always fun.
(05-10-2022, 08:49 PM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: (Actually in my opinion limb critters should be free considering how weak they are and the fact that they handicap you but that's a discussion for another time.)

A butt crab is always free. All it can do is make people fart and cover exits with it's gas.
Handcrabs can bite people to take little dna and give it to it's master.
Leg worms can kick people and do damage.
Eye critters are also free I believe, but all the do is make water puddles people slip over.
(05-10-2022, 08:49 PM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: (Actually in my opinion limb critters should be free considering how weak they are and the fact that they handicap you but that's a discussion for another time.)
Buttcrabs cost 1 DNA point.
(05-11-2022, 03:48 AM)Mouse Wrote: Buttcrabs cost 1 DNA point.

My bad, but enough derailing.

I think this idea is a "neat" idea.
But in my opinion should ONLY be done with high costs, but not only that. The doppleganger like the thrall needs to sustain itself somehow.
Thus I recommend it having alot of hunger... but insted of blood. It needs to eat anything to keep it's body from decaying.

So increase costs of this abillity and add this lil thing so you have a mechanic that might "TIP" off a doppleganger wich is extreme hunger.
They can ignore it, but their max health start decreasing like a thrall.
Also to transform they need to have atleast a % of hunger.
What if the doppelganger started visually becoming more rotten after 5-10 minutes until it's very obvious they are a walking corpse spewing miasma?
(05-11-2022, 06:05 AM)Jakson Wrote: What if the doppelganger started visually becoming more rotten after 5-10 minutes until it's very obvious they are a walking corpse spewing miasma?
It could just have a timed lifespan before it's disguise falls off and it's forced to transform. Give them a little timer of their "Face" melting away.
I've been talking about changelings a bunch so I will bump this with no remorse.

I am going to add something to this though. Changelings are not in a good place right now. They have been nerfed a lot. Neurotoxin feels like it has more tells than ever, the cooldown is much longer. You can not eat diner npcs anymore, which prevents you from even an extremely basic backup bank if you get caught. The high pop makes it hard to eat anyone without getting called out and tagged by a supercop AI or the entire sec team and getting port-a-brig'd. It costs DNA points to LEAVE shambler. Critters handicap you, take away from your extremely limited dna point supply, and a single assistant can solo a legworm with their fists. So you feel bad about your hivemind having nothing to do.

You can take this as salt and stuff, but I think Changelings are a bit weak rn. So!

Yes, this ability, would very much be nice for Changelings, thank you!
I got another idea for the changeling to gain DNA or victims.
Something else then this doppleganger stuff...