Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Reworks wraith, adds specialization paths; Harbinger, Plaguebringer, T...
Maybe the Chaplin can work with botany to make sage for burning. Making an AOE like the candle that would slow the wraith down a bit or debilitate it in ways that aren't just revealing it; since we have that neat candle to do the revealing anyway.

Also will disease resistance from chefs' food buffs help against the plague wraith? I know that's piling a lot on an already AWESOME amount of content but, just curious.

Last question, can that Ability that puts skeletons in lockers be used multiple times on the same locker- to make a clown car of skeletons for some unlucky staffie looking for oxygen if given enough time.

*edit* Now that I think about it, maybe the sage burning could provide a BUFF like that chef food buff thing to make you more resistant to the wraiths abilities, counterplay isn't just destroying the wraith, but also finding ways to fortify yourself against it after all.
(05-11-2022, 07:25 AM)Bartimeus Wrote: I did consider the holy water, and it would make the chaplain more useful in the equation, but it does mean that once again people might be reliant on chemistry for it and i'd like to offer alternatives to that.

Suggestion... the candles can't be any candle you can order. It has to be a candle made from a holy animals "wax" kinda concept.
I don't know.. I just want to have something be used from animals to make it offical.
Or heck.. have the wick of the candle be made from Dolly's fluff. Though this would make the wraith kill Dolly right away.

Eh.. I am just thinking of incorperating an animal of some sort to make the candle.
perhaps to make it a little harder to make instead of relying on holy water it would require to be blessed with a bible or made inside the chapel?
(05-11-2022, 07:25 AM)Bartimeus Wrote: I did consider the holy water, and it would make the chaplain more useful in the equation, but it does mean that once again people might be reliant on chemistry for it and i'd like to offer alternatives to that.

Hi. I just wanted to remind everyone that botany provide an alternative to chemistry, and can in fact produce holy water and salt via garlic and salted oats.

We also have wolfsbane, so a wraith repellent plant could be another layer of counter play. You could even do something with pumpkin lanterns, maybe.
I like the candle, but Im concerned with someone just pulling it out of bag and lighting it up immediately with no warning for the wraith. I think some sort of action bar to fully activate it + a large animation to indicate it being lit up (blue flames similar to what welding code uses I think would be a cool) + the wraith being slowed down a lot and flickering in and out of existence before fully forcefully manifested or something like it I think would be neat and good.
To pull it out of the bag and light it up you would have to assume there's a wraith nearby. If there isn't, you just wasted a candle.
About the spirit candle: Due to how item processing ticks, currently it works with a slight delay. Which means that if you pull the candle out of your bag and light it, it immediatly starts giving off a blue light, but doesnt show the wraith until at least one tick, which translates to about a second or two. I don't think i can give the wraith too much of a tell or they'll easily phase through all the walls and flee. Also snuffing out the candle manifests all wraiths in a 4 tile radius, but after a 0.5 second delay to give the wraith an opportunity to phase through one or two walls and get away. There might still be a need to balance it out a little, and i do like the idea of the wraith flickering in and out.
If this was more of here’s three doctrines you can choose from optionally whenever you feel like that give you a few new toys and then some buffs in exchange for spirit vibes I think this would be fine. Don’t like how one of the paths is useless for half of the servers (and arguably most of the other half)

It’s eh I guess. Would rather see the abilities just given to existing wraiths and allowing players to pick and choose as they need/want or going the company of heroes route as mentioned above
Just for clarification, which path do you think is useless for half the servers?
tbh, idk if it'll be necessary to make the candle harder to make than skull + candle, getting skull production going is already some work for medbay, especially since they'll need to get more monkeys. I may be incorrect on this, but I believe monkeys can now mainly be refilled via random traders, not via a normal crate or a vendor cartridge? So it seems like getting more skulls may already be non-trivial after some time.

I would love to see the chance for players to get Wraith be raised a little, since, as other people have said, it's really rare to get it compared to other antags. I definitely do *not* want wraiths to share points though, I've always felt that was a super annoying mechanic in gang/halloween/pretty much anywhere it has ever been applied. There is simply not a sufficient level of cooperation to make that not annoying for everyone involved.

Anyway, I really love the ideas you've put forth, and I am very excited to see more!
(05-12-2022, 05:00 PM)swinglow20 Wrote: Just for clarification, which path do you think is useless for half the servers?

If I were to guess probably Trickster since it is way more RP focused in power set, thus making it the "weak" choice on the classic servers. I think its a misread on the damage you could actually accomplish with it but it is definitely less rampage focused than the skeleton, and less insidious than plague. The area emag ability alone makes it a nightmare imo.
I agree with zjdtmkhzt, about skull production. To further that point, it would be risky acquiring the skulls anyway purely because it will cause a mess and generate corpses. Which two of the three wraith types will LOVE in that brief window they'd have before you finish assembling the skull. Assuming you don't use it right away anyway. 

I can see a lot of risky gambles being taken on both sides in that situation. Which equals fun, imo
IMO, just have all candles work as wraith detectors, with the flame turning blue when they're a certain amount of tiles away, intensifying as they get closer, and finally revealing them if they're right by it.

Then just make all candles finite resources, with more being able to be made. (Beeswax? Honey and crayons?)
(05-13-2022, 01:22 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: IMO, just have all candles work as wraith detectors, with the flame turning blue when they're a certain amount of tiles away, intensifying as they get closer, and finally revealing them if they're right by it.

Then just make all candles finite resources, with more being able to be made. (Beeswax? Honey and crayons?)

Beeswax would be a fun one... honey sure.. crayons maybe..
I also had the idea of using Dolly's wool as a wick to make one. Since Dolly is "kinda" pointless at the moment.
(05-13-2022, 01:22 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: IMO, just have all candles work as wraith detectors, with the flame turning blue when they're a certain amount of tiles away, intensifying as they get closer, and finally revealing them if they're right by it.

I have a few thoughts about this.
First off, it would make candles generally harder to get which impedes a few things such as fighting kudzu, or RP setpieces with people placing candles.
Additionally if the flame only turns blue when the wraith is close, it might muddle the counterplay the wraith has a little bit. Right now the wraith can see that they are being hunted by paying attention to the blue light. Having it be red before they approach would make it a bit more difficult.
The idea of needing a skull to combine with the candle is to make it so that it's a bit harder to come by than your usual candle but not excessively difficult, it also gives the wraith bodies so you have to dispose of them, and helps make medbay actually able to fight a bit harder against wraith.