Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game Mode Vote
Lately I have been thinking about vote based gamemode selection and according to this link,similar idea was brought up before by Techanture at: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...g+gamemode

My idea is giving players vote what gamemode they want to play on as I believe this will make most players happy since they play what they want to play. Rather than allowing players to choose specific kind of round like traitor or nukies, players can choose intrigue secret, chaotic secret, mild secret or extended etc. So majority will play the round they want to and minority can choose other servers they will enjoy more. And pretty much same thing for Rp servers so we can see mild action, action or extended rounds at rp. If you want to have peaceful round you can play on extended or if you want to play in action packed round you can change your server and play there. This can make most players happy also will allow the players that want to build stuff without worrying about their rounds ending quickly at classic. Same thing happens for the players who want to play fast rounds instead. This can also make redirecting unnecessary for players since, most players will play what they want to play.
me vot8ing podwars 17 rounds in a row and subjecting RP to my whims and fascination with DIY pod construction

I think like...I get this conceptually, I really do. Playing 10+ rounds in a row on classic without a nukie one showing up (or worse...10+ without any teamfights), I dunno! It's almost exhausting in its own way! We did 4 back to back vampire rounds on RP 3 two weeks ago I think and I was pretty over Medbay Grave Touch Cootie Fights by the second round!

I'm still pretty adamant that no matter what ppl are saying in OOC, nukies and strongly actionable rounds (teamfights) really do have to be guided by admins when on RP. There's almost kind of a fundamental mismatch in having RP rules that prioritize security response to threats over 7 staffies with plates in order to maintain a little aura of character; with trying to force a round type inherently balanced around not just sec, but with the assumption that there WILL be 7 staffies with plates. nukies lose a majority of the time on classic, for example; they're usually fighting 10x the number of nukie teammates and the majority of that 70 or 80 person crew is getting involved. A not insignificant number of those people are doing it in a direct capacity, ie healing at the plant sight, fighting ops, or beating the bomb.
the majority of nukie rounds on rp end with nukie wins (if I'm remembering the monuments correctly). nothing has changed about the balance of the scaling or anything. you just instead have 60 people who, some dont see it as ij their purview to be a part of the teamfight, direct or indirect capacity. When only 30 people are fighting and collectively sponging up bullets between each other, suddenly losing any individual team member in the fight is a lot more of a dire situation; and the nukie gear suddenly becomes a lot stronger.

as far as classic goes, I think this also means we'd tend to vote in the really high-profile, high-action rounds like nukies or blob. does that take something away from the special feeling of getting to be the blob or nukie if you do roll antag? and if everyone wants the high profile antags and is voting for those across all servers, where do you go if you just want to do a spy round?

as far as rp goes, and I dont mean this dismissively, but if you really really crave to experience action gamemodes that aren't run on rp, there's two servers that do run them. and if you want to play a squid diplomat that tries to talk to a blob and make peace with them, you can do that. you dont have to wait for one of the RP servers to run the gamemode in order for you to be able to RP on that gamemode.

people put this big divide between RP versus classic and what they want out of gamemodes but like...theyvreally arent that different, I promise. variability in gamemodes is good, not being in total control of them offers spontaneity and creativity, often times to the benefit of not just the individual antag's rounds, but to the other antags and crewmates in the round too.

that said, I would LOVE more events and gimmicks of different gamemodes on RP. Walp is notably good at giving RP a handful of action rounds each week, but it's been a long time since stuff like RP podwars, and I'd like to rerun that one again; I'm not sure we'd ever be able to pull it off, but BR on rp would be really funny too if only for the irony of dramatizing fighting for survival while wearing a giant hotdog suit. Entirely possible too that some dreams are meant to be just that--dreams.
Do you remember when there was complaints about clique's controlling servers?

By adding vote round, these cliques will want to control their servers with their rounds.
I like the idea of control to the players but.. I think a round vote idea should only come once in a while and keep it random.

Also what I know from classic, if you know what majority wants, valid hunting becomes easier.
I like the idea of being able to have a bit of control of what the next round would be but it would add a whole bunch of problems.

1 unless you don’t reveal what the vote results are it is going to lead a gigantic meta response to round chosen. If everyone knows it is going to be a blob round expect it to be done in a hurry as the crew loads up on flamers before the centcomm alert.

2 certain players hate particular round types, example I hate the football game I would dip out of the server the second it won a vote.

3 as mentioned a clique could organize and run the same thing over and over because it’s what they like.

I am sure this is the tip of the iceberg.