Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
offer rename prompt for antags on roundjoin/start
first im sorry since im 99% certain this has been suggested before but mostly just dont remember if there was a consensus or what any of the opinions were for this matter and would love to hear thoughts on topic

yea, as title says, I think it'd be neat to have this especially on RP rounds so I can easily throw away rounds that I dont want in my character (non)continuity.

knowing that I as a player do have total full and final control over that but rarely do other players offer that to me in turn in future rounds. which is kinda odd and sometimes i get tired of thinking up new character names every few rounds bc of it.

biggest deal for rp i can think of is it might lessen the need for people to buy the agent card for gimmicks? I think the agent card is p cool aside from just renaming capabilities though, so I don't see it as a huge hit to the versatility of the item.

Though roundstart joining antag on my frequently a clown and sometimes a scientist character and being able to choose to tell everyone today Jelly Bean is evil by naming myself Smelly Bean is funny imo
This is why I have the lore of Selena 1 - 8.
As I can make certain Selena's antag only and thus not messing with the current lore continuations. (if I am doing that)

Heck 1 antag is Selena - 5 wich is a passive antag who just makes mistakes.
Kotlol/Selena pretty much has the right approach to this. With cloning technology as presented in game evil clones are pretty much the easiest way to justify out of normal character behavior. And if you wanna spice it up if you are a syndicate agent you can buy the agent ID as a “true identity”, and are currently using a stable mutagen blood combo of your normal characters blood.
(05-08-2022, 09:09 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Kotlol/Selena pretty much has the right approach to this. With cloning technology as presented in game evil clones are pretty much the easiest way to justify out of normal character behavior. And if you wanna spice it up if you are a syndicate agent you can buy the agent ID as a “true identity”, and are currently using a stable mutagen blood combo of your normal characters blood.

I actually split my characters like this into evil mode allowed and not evil mode allowed; but hadn't thought to consider the stable mutagen story, that's really clever! will definitely be stealing that page from the mopsy playbook
This might sound like a good or harmless idea but it'll very likely be used as a free DNA scrambler that can be used by any human antag to avoid AI tracking etc after they attack someone.
Since it would function the same way as a clown, joining and renaming shouldn’t cause an issue unless it’s a late join. I seem to recall a couple bugs related to late join gimmick roles that can be renamed (diplomat comes to mind) having the previous name come up in the sec computer instead of the selected one.
Eitherway renaming as an antag isn't a bad idea.
But ... wich antags?
Just traitors?
Spy's too?
Changeling?
Wizard?
Or is it just antag in general? We can't rename wraiths as far as I know XD
I would go with a blanket all antags can change their name personally.
I don't feel like just giving a rename prompt would do much if you're actually trying to alter the character considering you'd still look the same. Unless you just wanted to change your name from Sally Smith to EVIL Sally Smith or whatever.

I wouldn't mind a 'random name if I roll antag' thing in character setup though.
Other codebases have this as a secondary name you can setup if you roll antag and I feel it works out rather well. Its something you can choose to opt in or out of which is harmless in the end.
(05-08-2022, 06:35 PM)aloe Wrote: I don't feel like just giving a rename prompt would do much if you're actually trying to alter the character considering you'd still look the same. Unless you just wanted to change your name from Sally Smith to EVIL Sally Smith or whatever.

I wouldn't mind a 'random name if I roll antag' thing in character setup though.

You know aloe that wouldn't be a bad thing. You could make an option to load in a save file of another charater... or more importantly.
Give a random option of: "Random name and Random design" 

No one hates options after all :P
I like all the ideas that have been said! the one i think is nice is the idea of being able to load a save file for another character if you get antag, it means you can have your normal nice character selected but if you get antag you are given your evil character to play as! think it would really help with rp, and this way with the save file, it wont just be a name change but you will look like someone else, it could be a entirely different person, or maybe a alternate look for your normal character, would really expand the rp i feel! in my head i imagine a little box that says "select save file for antag" or something like that in the character set up but it might be a bit harder to code than that, im not very wise in coding heheh! but i love the ideas!
(05-08-2022, 06:35 PM)aloe Wrote: I don't feel like just giving a rename prompt would do much if you're actually trying to alter the character considering you'd still look the same. Unless you just wanted to change your name from Sally Smith to EVIL Sally Smith or whatever.

Tbh random name + random appearance would be very nice option. I've felt that I've been cut way too much slack by security/command at times for being a recognizable character. Especially as some of my characters that used to be harmless, I would be given an extreme amount of leeway due to the meta-knowledge that I was a very harmless character, even as antag, that I feel I would have to put it significantly more effort for if I was given a random name & appearance.

While I don't think everyone would take this option, since suddenly being a new character with no definition is difficult, I believe it would be a lot more fun for a lot of people.

Edit: the only negative effect I think this could bring is the bad habit that some players have of being highly distrustful/ignoring towards random namers getting worse since it would raise the chances of them being an antag but also,, this feature would be hella cool