Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Flyable Eyewear
this just makes welding masks much more of a meta item than it already should be
I still think its a bad change tbh. It basically is a "sec is too good please nerf change" while then forcing sec to wear their gear or else face even more penalties for *checks notes* not wearing their gear that gives them bonuses?
It's also meant to buff Rev. Which doesn't make much sense imo since people will just start wearing welding masks, sec helmets and gas masks even more, none of which are particularly rare.

Losing spectoscopic glasses during a fight is whatever, losing prodocs will only make doctor's life harder, and they will be the main affected since they don't have anything to protect them by default. Sunglasses and Sechuds are the only ones that matter, and will just make officers be even more required to wear their helmets while normal crewmembers just get other (easily) available solutions.

Not to mention introducing such an annoying feature to balance a mode that is only used in half the servers.
Honestly, I think this pr will have minimal impact of sunglass balance during combat. If someone is already able to get a few good hits on someone in the face, chances are theyre just going to keep doing that. The fraction of combat encounters that both have someone hitting someone in the face (which is most melee combat encounters currently) and flashing people is going to be very slim, because thats both a complicated and finnicky way of doing combat. The thing is though, if someone doesnt intend to flash you and knocks the sunglasses off your face who cares, that doesnt really effect your state in battle because the buff that sunglasses provides wasnt relevant for that battle. But what if you have glasses that offer a different kind of buff thats helpful for all battles. Mesons, prodocs, night vision, etc all offer a passive combat buff by either increasing your sight or increasing the info you have on the opponent. Having that combat buff taken away mid fight just sucks, it removes info from you when youre already focused on combat that was helping you along that fight. I think this pr will effect the strength of sunglasses minimally, while making all other options worse, which considering the fact that sunglasses are the meta combat pick seems negative.
(05-13-2022, 12:22 PM)Nihisohel Wrote: this just makes welding masks much more of a meta item than it already should be

Yes, they need to be nerfed at some point, I was thinking maybe making tints mandatory considering that it would give it balance.
(05-13-2022, 09:41 PM)Conchuckter Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 12:22 PM)Nihisohel Wrote: this just makes welding masks much more of a meta item than it already should be

Yes, they need to be nerfed at some point, I was thinking maybe making tints mandatory considering that it would give it balance.

even i find the concept of tints to be redundant in the case of welding masks since it just darkens the hell out of your screen and some ultra gamer can just turn up the brightness

just do what literally every other codebase does and have it obscure your vision from 2 or 4 tiles away, maybe with tint
(05-15-2022, 09:49 AM)Nihisohel Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 09:41 PM)Conchuckter Wrote:

even i find the concept of tints to be redundant in the case of welding masks since it just darkens the hell out of your screen and some ultra gamer can just turn up the brightness

just do what literally every other codebase does and have it obscure your vision from 2 or 4 tiles away, maybe with tint
I might have a look at doing that next