Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Flyable Eyewear
(05-04-2022, 09:50 PM)Maegor Wrote: I feel it is important to ask if it would add anything besides an annoyance?

Plus, sec officers have helmets and those protect eyewear, scientists have gas mas, engineers have a variety of helmets etc. As Leeanei said, it would mostly frustrate doctors.

As the PR outlines it is partly for balancing people constantly wearing sunglasses to protect against flashes especially in rev rounds.
The balancing thing about sunglasses and sechuds is that there's a limited amount on the station at any time. I think this just makes combat into more stun focused and there's too many cases where it seems unintuitive for the glasses to break without somehow penning stuff covering it. As such this pr is probably better off being unmerged.
Something to note, breaking glasses outright is a thing that the pickpocket gun does (or at least can, nobody uses it)

I feel like this is a reasonable addition, but it kinda cements head targeting even more as the Gamer Choice of combat
(05-04-2022, 11:29 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: The balancing thing about sunglasses and sechuds is that there's a limited amount on the station at any time. I think this just makes combat into more stun focused and there's too many cases where  it seems unintuitive for the glasses to break without somehow penning stuff covering it. As such this pr is probably better off being unmerged.

They can be made through matsci and I am changing a few things which you can see in my last post.
Still heavily dislike this. Let's just say what it is: a stealth nerf to security and their Sechuds.

The only other glasses that matter are sunshades, of which there are about three on an average station, and the NVGs/Thermals.
(05-05-2022, 05:12 AM)Cal Wrote: Still heavily dislike this. Let's just say what it is: a stealth nerf to security and their Sechuds.

The only other glasses that matter are sunshades, of which there are about three on an average station, and the NVGs/Thermals.

As I've said before, I'm working on updating the pr so glasses cannot be hit off if you are wearing a helmet and while not as effective you can make more sunglasses through matsci
why should I HAVE to wear my helmet as sec? I almost never wear it. what about HoS's beret?
(05-05-2022, 01:52 PM)Cal Wrote: why should I HAVE to wear my helmet as sec? I almost never wear it. what about HoS's beret?

You don't, you would still have that choice, and it's not like your round is ruined without a sechud and as well as that I am making it so they no longer break and they just fly off so unless someone badly want a sechud you'll be able to pick it up.
I have made some changes based on your feedback so I'll be reopening the pr, if you still have any feedback you'd like to share please do.
When you’re in a fight irl, when are you not targeting the head?

It just makes sense to thwack people in their heads unless they’re wearing a helmet, IC and OOC
(05-06-2022, 06:33 AM)Yellow Wrote: When you’re in a fight irl, when are you not targeting the head?

It just makes sense to thwack people in their heads unless they’re wearing a helmet, IC and OOC

If you want to fight dirty you don't target the head... example:

"Punching someone in the nuts"
"Kidney Punch"
"Hard gut punch to make em catch out of breath"
"Chest punch for the same reason or damaging the rubs"
"Arm punch to weaken their punches or cause they are open (this doesnt happen alot)"
"Leg punch to make their movements less effective (though you rather go for a kick to the legs then, but same concept)"

There is a reason boxers don't always go for the head but the sides.. it inflicts pain and tires you. Thought the head has more parts that can cause more pain, damage and instability then the body. But there are reasons wink
I dislike this too. Seems like it would be more annoying than anything. To counter this, people would just start wearing helmets and gaz masks all the time
(05-06-2022, 10:04 AM)alexandregtg Wrote: I dislike this too. Seems like it would be more annoying than anything. To counter this, people would just start wearing helmets and gaz masks all the time

Everyone does that already.
I wear gas masks because it fits my outfit and style takes precedence over all else.

RULE OF COOL
big fan of this!

Since tidying your suit is a relatively uncommon action and adding a UI element solely to make this obvious is a bit overkill, add a timed auto-readjust for fixing your glasses too. Make it so 20-30 seconds after you've last been hit in the face you automatically readjust your glasses.

It ultimately won't affect combat nerds often, but it will make short sighted users have more interaction with the trait than just "don't wear glasses for a round for 1 trait point"

As for security complaints, removing your helmet as security has always been a pure negative, you're already taking the -6 head damage penalty!
At the same time it makes it easier to get glasses by randomly smacking sec officers in the face, which is not desirable, I'd suggest granting increased or complete resistance to those with Security Training.

EDIT:
As for the head-first body-second gamer meta, i do think it's worth looking into adjusting head VS body targeting benefits.