Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Flyable Eyewear
Id be fine if they KNOCKED THEM OFF but to just outright break glasses? Na
Acid aside there really isn’t a lot of breaking of gear in game. That’s probably a good thing, if breaking gear became a super common thing it would be more irritating not more fun.
Here's an idea... Let the glasses break any type, but then you get a "BROKEN (What glasses they are)" to fix it.. just grab some glass lens that can be obtained anywhere or be made from glass sheets.
This fixes them as good as new.

Should stop the sechud problem too.
second hans' idea, agree with zjd that maybe durability is good vs flat rng; regardless, i dont think 10% is too penalizing anyways but im probably in the minority of sec players of that opinion. i think making sec immune to broken glasses is bad though; you're wearing sunglasses indoors, of course you look like a dork.

rgb brings up a cool point about the covers_eyes flag on helmets being integrated.

dunno. I really like the idea and the counterplay it can open up for vamps or for security assistants trying to smack arcfiend with sunnies with a flash.

im also of the belief sechuds arent this essential thing everyone makes them out to be, on either server but espc not on rp, but that's a whole Deal not really relevant here.

kot's idea is pretty neat too; just like in real life I sometimes end up with a lens smashed or popped out, but that doesnt make my whole frame totally useless, it just means I get a new lens or pop the old one back in and keep using the same frame. actually thinking on it more, I like her idea a lot and maybe having lenses pop out or something is the solution. temp hindrance for people to create a window of action but also forgiving enough that people can replace gear/use matsci for something other than telecrystal spears.
This now starts bringing up why stop here. If you can break sunglasses to glare/flash someone in the eyes, you should.
Be able to break/remove gas masks, so that someone suffocates/breaths in that toxin you just smoked (Or hell actually making Riot Control grenades useful, because they aren't.)
Fire should burn your jumpsuit/firesuit/spacesuit so that you start taking more fire damage. Other Codebases do this, making fire pretty punishing.
heavily dislike this

if you make sechuds breakable make a new way to get them

which means more staffies with sechuds helping them
Cracked glass screen overlay

Something that could be neat for things like the Sec Huds or various goggles is instead of destroying them it glitches them out somehow, like the internal electronics were damaged.

Could be little spurts of static, maybe Hud elements kinda flicker or something.

I do think more stuff should be capable of breaking so there could be more of an economy around replacing items, though some things should at best get a debuff or cosmetic change instead of outright going away
(05-04-2022, 11:50 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: kot's idea is pretty neat too; just like in real life I sometimes end up with a lens smashed or popped out, but that doesnt make my whole frame totally useless, it just means I get a new lens or pop the old one back in and keep using the same frame. actually thinking on it more, I like her idea a lot and maybe having lenses pop out or something is the solution. temp hindrance for people to create a window of action but also forgiving enough that people can replace gear/use matsci for something other than telecrystal spears.

Thanks but I am a guy who plays a female charater XD. Lil something.

But yes... while I don't think something like sec huds would be made by staff assistants.
But I do THINK fixing them with a lens is doable.

Also it could start an economy of own glasses with own lenses and effects. That will be alot of sprite work though but hilarious for customisation.
I can already see someone opening an "Eyewear store" on the station for a gimmick with it.

So thats why I recommend just allowing "frames" and "glasses"
But sec huds cannot be made this way... they can only be fixed. Not produced.
i'd like this if there were a way to easily repair/customize them
Tbh the more I think about this the more I dislike it because it basically just makes eyewear vulnerable in combat given most people have head targeting set from the get go. Just not a very good idea overall. Huge buff to Revs, frustrating for doctors, doesn't add any new tactics other than "Hit someone in the head until RNG breaks/removes their glasses".

Just a poor idea.
(05-04-2022, 02:39 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Cracked glass screen overlay

Something that could be neat for things like the Sec Huds or various goggles is instead of destroying them it glitches them out somehow, like the internal electronics were damaged.

Could be little spurts of static, maybe Hud elements kinda flicker or something.

I do think more stuff should be capable of breaking so there could be more of an economy around replacing items, though some things should at best get a debuff or cosmetic change instead of outright going away

I do like the idea of the UI and screen glitching out if you are wearing sechuds and get smacked too hard in the face. Same with borgs if they get smacked in the head they should do the same. Maybe thermals too?
I'll have a look at implementing some of the ideas.
(05-04-2022, 11:50 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: second hans' idea, agree with zjd that maybe durability is good vs flat rng; regardless, i dont think 10% is too penalizing anyways but im probably in the minority of sec players of that opinion. i think making sec immune to broken glasses is bad though; you're wearing sunglasses indoors, of course you look like a dork.

rgb brings up a cool point about the covers_eyes flag on helmets being integrated.

dunno. I really like the idea and the counterplay it can open up for vamps or for security assistants trying to smack arcfiend with sunnies with a flash.

im also of the belief sechuds arent this essential thing everyone makes them out to be, on either server but espc not on rp, but that's a whole Deal not really relevant here.

kot's idea is pretty neat too; just like in real life I sometimes end up with a lens smashed or popped out, but that doesnt make my whole frame totally useless, it just means I get a new lens or pop the old one back in and keep using the same frame. actually thinking on it more, I like her idea a lot and maybe having lenses pop out or something is the solution. temp hindrance for people to create a window of action but also forgiving enough that people can replace gear/use matsci for something other than telecrystal spears.

i agree with this mostly but i think just having them fall off would be less penalizing, while still penalizing enough, i'd do a increasing percentage with each consecutive hit for the glasses instead of being flat RNG, 100% agree on the sechud thing too
So what I'm thinking is that instead of glasses being destroyed they are thrown off the player in a random direction.

If you are wearing headgear that covers the eyes you cannot have glasses pulled of you.

Seeing as it doesn't make much sense with these changes I might remove the strength variable altogether and make something else to adjust the chance of glasses being removed.
I feel it is important to ask if it would add anything besides an annoyance?

Plus, sec officers have helmets and those protect eyewear, scientists have gas mas, engineers have a variety of helmets etc. As Leeanei said, it would mostly frustrate doctors.