Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] New syndicate item: The sawfly
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[feature][wiki]
About the PR
This PR adds a new thing for all of the bad guys to use: The sawfly. Keep in mind I've set nothing in stone and if you disagree with literally anything I've done for them, I'm open to suggestion or compromise.
[Image: 166164490-660e9fc8-4e14-4d49-957e-073397dc79e0.png]

# Demos:
Below is a (slightly outdated) pretty exhaustive video demo, but if reading's your style, I've typed it out as well.
https://youtu.be/Cfi9wzgiqWM

Sawfly audio demo:
https://youtu.be/W59_gylJqHM

The sawfly is a 1 second grenade that, on priming, spawns a 50 HP drone which will attack anyone around who isn't syndicate. This drone can be turned back into a grenade by clicking it on with help or disarm intent, provided you're of syndicate affiliation.
Furthermore, there is a rarer cluster grenade of the sawfly that spawns five drones at a given location.

-As a traitor, you can spend 2 TC to get 1 sawfly grenade and a remote.
-As a nukie, you can get a pouch of 4 for 1 utility credit, or buy singles from the nukie uplink, as well as sawfly cluster grenades, which spawn 5 of them at a time
-Both singles and clusters will also show up in the spy thief menu.

Most forms of sawflies come with a remote. This is a special item that can be hidden in clothing, and will fold/unfold any sawflies or grenades in a small radius. To prevent detection, the remote can be broken by clicking it twice with anything that does more than 3 damage. Furthermore, emagging the remote makes it so that all sawflies which would normally get folded instead roll a coinflip to explode/burst into flames after a short warning. Since you have to be close in order for this to happen, I feel like it's balanced, and adds a little more interaction.

All audios are made by me, with sampling from https://freesound.org/people/Isaroru/sounds/560343/ for their revving audio

Why's this needed?

I think it'll be an interesting thing to have and people have been bouncing around the idea of a manhack for a while

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)NightmareChamillian and Amylizzle

(*) Added a new general-purpose syndicate item: the sawfly. See minor changes for details.
(+) Sawflies cost 2 TC and come as a 1.5 second grenade that spawns a single sawfly drone on detonation
(+) Sawfly drones have 50 HP that deal 14 damage a hit to crew. They can be returned to grenade form by traitors.
(+) Furthermore, all sawfly purchases come with a remote, which can be used to fold and deploy all sawflies in in a 4 tile radius.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
That seems way too powerful for 2 tc. I'd say bump it up to 5 or 6 tc
Its a single dumb object critter with 40 hp and does 16 damage, honestly bump it down to a single traitor credit, also the compact version really shouldnt cost 7 tc for spies or nukies, should be more like 4.
Please tell me I can load these into a riot launcher since they're considered grenades, that sounds funny to duel wield riot launchers and fire them at the HoS.
1) Yes, you can infact riot launcher them, it's one of the funnest things

2) After thinking on it, I've bumped the cluster down to 5, since they're a lot rarer and I do want them used. For the single one, though, I decided against it. In a 1v1, even with full sec gear and a decon device, I've never managed to kill one without going into softcrit myself, and that's without a traitor trying to kill me alongside it.
It'd be nice if there was a way to build/acquire them outside of a syndicate PDA, or at least make a downgraded version.
man i saw your demo and this is a great new idea, props to you milliam also amazing work on the sprites
This looks like an incredibly solid PR, I was glad to hear in the video that the depressurization is rare with explosions, that would be one of my only concerns. The evasive maneuvering you demonstrated looks solid, to confirm that was an option you enabled with the remote? I think that the TC cost as they stand seem good and well thought out, with the biggest potential issue being the cluster bombs. If they werent so expensive I would be more concerned, but having 4 cluster bombs plus the chance of depressurization seems pretty strong for sure.

Really well done!
Regarding their maneuvering and the remote, the only thing the remote can do is fold or unfold nearbly sawflies- their robust nature is due to them inheriting most of their AI from drones
Is it mousetrap/toy car attachable for boobytrap hijinks?
Anything you can do with a grenade, and that is ANYTHING, you can do with these little bastards.
i like it maybe have an easter egg with the hev suit like its the primary target
This is great stuff, I don't think it's too powerful in the slightest.
Part of me wants them to be a little more vulnerable to crowbars, because zomg teh reference
update: new sounds

https://youtu.be/W59_gylJqHM