Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hygiene on RP
obviously not a very crucial motive, since it doesnt give debuffs in the way that hunger and thirst do, but still kind of obnoxious 

main issue i have with hygiene is how easy it is to drop in seconds (looking at blood puddles, screaming at the sky). get shot and bleed? well, as your dying body is drug out of the area, youll also have a nice 0 hygiene from being covered in your own blood. need surgery quick? enjoy these stink lines until you reach a shower, because the blood puddle beneath you has just dropped your perfect hygiene to nothing in seconds

the stink lines i think are eh, maybe have them for when youve been at 0 for an extended period of time? they were funny as a meme but now i find myself struggling to avoid random hygiene tanking situations when trying to rp because it (to me) sort of decreases the seriousness of situations when someone you just shot has these little lines coming off of them

suggestions: 
- make clothing decrease the amount of hygiene puddles do. it doesnt make much sense for my character to be comically unbathed when all i did was walk through a puddle with shoes on. 
- maybe just in general decrease the amount it drops? it was mentioned that it may be a bug, but the bug to my knowledge was fixed a good while ago
- complete up in the air suggestion, some type of trait that prevents your hygiene from dropping below 10%. “fragrant aroma” or something silly
- take off the stink lines? personally, i feel like the flavor text (which occasionally calls out people by name anyway) was enough to convey low hygiene. the particle effects were a cool addition, but i kinda feel like over time they lost the spark and now are just used as one off goofs to point at someone and say “haha stinky” (which isnt all that fun when youre trying to be serious)
funny enough i was thinking about hygiene yesterday when I was playing on rp

I'm thinking of adding a simple time check or something so you need to have low hygeine for a set period of time before applying particles. That way slipping in blood doesnt just slap them on instantly
I'd even say perhaps even give certain clothing different values in their protection against Hygiene decay, galoshes, cleaning gloves and various suits that enclose the body like the Biosuit come to mind.

Depending on how easy/hard it is to code, certain shoes/boots could reduce or entirely prevent Hygiene decay when walking over puddles instead of just a blanket decrease in Hygiene decay. I'm not sure if you suffer a drop in Hygiene with handling certain things but the same thing could be done for gloves if that exists.
Having worn a hazmat suit more than a few times I assure you the opposite is true you sweat like crazy in the damn things, and while the outside world won’t notice much you certainly do.

Then I actually reread the comment and realized you were talking about smells/detritus/puddles rubbing off on you and was like yeah that makes sense.
Honestly hygiene removal may not be a bad idea. Most of the motives have a clear interaction they promote, be it going to the bartender or going to the chef, hygiene just encourages you to go to a shower or a sink. Which I guess it gets you to move around, however like the other motives have you do that and have the output of fulfilling the motive be meaningful. Also it can ruin a lot of serious rp moments.
(05-01-2022, 12:17 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Having worn a hazmat suit more than a few times I assure you the opposite is true you sweat like crazy in the damn things, and while the outside world won’t notice much you certainly do.

Then I actually reread the comment and realized you were talking about smells/detritus/puddles rubbing off on you and was like yeah that makes sense.

I mean you still make a good point. Hazmats could increase the natural Hygiene decay represented by sweating like you mentioned, but prevent hygiene decay from other sources.
Something I also find needed is that fresh clothes should push up hygenie. I don't mean... clean em in the sink (what I do).
I mean using the washing machine with detergene gives you a passive uptick for a while while wearing them.
What if bloody clothes gave you a hygiene penalty to begin with, but said penalty tapered off to represent blood drying.

Also, as a suggestion: deodorant reagent. Give it a pretty simple recipie, add a deodorant stick item that lets you put 3 units of a chem on you with a click, and bam, you have an actual working way to increase hygiene.
Maybe if clothes are stained long enough, they become "dirty clothes" and wearing dirty clothes decreases hygiene at a steady rate?
Stink lines are funny, please do not touch. Having something like deodorant to fix the hygiene problems of the crew is a great idea tough. I already imagine making a deodorant bomb and throwing it in a room full of stinky people
add soap and toothbrushes