Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solution to all (some) atmos problems: plants
Make plants emit oxygen if the pressure around them is low, it makes sense by goon logic and would help with gradual repressurization of breached areas. Different plants can emit different amounts, with trees emitting the most.
Kudzu SAVING the station!?
I told you guys. Kudzu people just want to be left alone to grow and help the station BUT YOU ALL MURDER THEM
Only problem I could foresee is that atmospherics are notorious for 2 things being buggy and crashing the server. I don't even want to think about how adding additional oxygen every few seconds from more than a few plants could go.
Considering humans (actually i think its most mobs that do this on further thought) make like .01 mols of co2 every few seconds near constantly, I think having plants make oxygen wouldnt lead to as much lag as youd think. I think this idea could be neat but i think itd be bad applied to all plants. Itd lead to botany being overpressurized every round which seems annoying. Special plants like algae that make gas i think could be neat.
Let's just go with plants that will make oxygen no matter what... this can have many fun effects for depressuring areas but also...
Oxygen overpressurasation for antagonists.

Could result in trolling.. but it's no different then chemical trolling.
(04-28-2022, 04:04 AM)Ikea Wrote: Itd lead to botany being overpressurized every round which seems annoying.

That's why I said "if the pressure around them is low" because otherwise yes, areas of high plant density would have constant winds pushing things around.
Trees (like the hydro plant in the tray) [Image: TreePlantV2.png] should absorb carbon dioxide [Image: CO2Can2.png]
Let botanists save the station for once
You know I just had a thought that might just get around the problem that might arise if you had too many plants in botany. The plant pot currently is used for nothing but decoration purposes what if when you put a plant into it that is when it begins generating oxygen?
cute idea, give me a reason to leave plant pots with cherry trees in the halls outside departments and not get yelled at for blocking traffic flow lol
anything to excuse me dressing up the station with MY favorite flowers and trees; you all will be subjected to my botanical interests and there is nothing to be done about it
(04-30-2022, 09:56 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: you all will be subjected to my botanical interests and there is nothing to be done about it

unrelated to the original post but I think you should be able to grow plants on grass tiles cosmetically
(04-30-2022, 09:56 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: cute idea, give me a reason to leave plant pots with cherry trees in the halls outside departments and not get yelled at for blocking traffic flow lol
anything to excuse me dressing up the station with MY favorite flowers and trees; you all will be subjected to my botanical interests and there is nothing to be done about it

As long as it isn't the millionth hotboxed stack of weed.
The bags of meat converting oxygen to CO2 being offset by flora is neat. Not sure if conversion really solves a problem as it is unlikely for an area to run out of air unless you are going out of your way to make it a problem. As mentioned above the thematic benefit visually is interesting and a fun way to change the station up a bit (even possible providing the crew snacks).

I'm personally a fan of energy leaving the system, especially if it is occurring without direct player interaction. Exception to that being antagonist activities that can facilitate the round moving forward, but if the plants being grief magnets seems like a bummer. So, if there was a something that is adding new Atmos to the system if prefer if that were a separate plant and a special function of that plant. Then mutations could open possibilities for antagonists to expedite over pressurization or possibly "problematic" gases.

I tried to lay the groundwork for someone wanting to grow on/in something:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/5588
(05-04-2022, 09:59 AM)Azrun Wrote:  Then mutations could open possibilities for antagonists to expedite over pressurization or possibly "problematic" gases.

...Fart plants?
(05-04-2022, 10:09 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 09:59 AM)Azrun Wrote:  Then mutations could open possibilities for antagonists to expedite over pressurization or possibly "problematic" gases.

...Fart plants?

Synthbuttbot plants.