Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New science division: Particle physics
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
DrivetimeMozol Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:Doesn't the cascade involve zombies attacking the station.

That sounds exactly like that one game mode where bad npcs spawn and the crew has to try and kill them and then get on the shuttle.

Yea headcrabs, vortigaunts, etc. Although I think it would be cool to change it to ss13 mobs. It would be hilarious opening a portal to the cluwne dimension and cluwne head spiders would jump out and forcibly transform people.
Clown/cluwne head spiders don't hurt you :c they're just adorable little monstrosities

Could just make then act like ice spiders. When bitten, you get cluwned slowly, and horribly.
I don't get how something so clumsy and gimmicky appeals to you
Splatpope Wrote:I don't get how something so clumsy and gimmicky appeals to you

"What is Space Station 13? for 50 points!"
Splatpope Wrote:I don't get how something so clumsy and gimmicky appeals to you
Name one department that isn't clumsy and gimmicky.
Karakoran Wrote:Name one department that isn't clumsy and gimmicky.

Srsly. At least this has more going for it than toxins' sole exports of bombs and the occasional engine mix.
DrivetimeMozol Wrote:
Karakoran Wrote:Name one department that isn't clumsy and gimmicky.

Srsly. At least this has more going for it than toxins' sole exports of bombs and the occasional engine mix.

And the hot loop now has its own mixing ports.
I love this idea BUT it needs to be a little less complicated, why does no one use the artlab? Too complex and too long to learn, it needs to be a little simpler and I will be all for this! I could help with some coding and sprites It it awesome!
I'd like to disagree about the too complex part. I'd say the reason people tend not to use artlab has to do with the effort/reward ratio. You spend a couple minutes wrestling with DWAINE to analyze one of a handful of readily available artifacts, and then trying to figure out what they do. It might turn out to be totally useless. It might be moderately helpful to somebody, but not necessarily you. It might flay you alive or obliterate the entire research wing.

An artifact power cell can be very helpful to a borg doing a construction project, but other than that it's very hard to get an artifact into the hands of a person who can make good use of it. Because they're randomly generated, you can never count on them being there, so people don't ask for artifacts even if they do have a use for them. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen activated artifacts around the station that weren't essentially traitor-only (i.e. they kill people).

But this version of a particle physics lab is different, more like botany, chemistry or genetics. There's a system, a pattern to how things work, and as you learn it you can learn how to produce a variety of useful things fairly quickly and reliably. The reliability part is the important one. Also, you can use it to fire enormously powerful beams enemies outside the station. How cool is that?
I think Artifacts are still in use, but most of them are generally annoying.

Pointing a human at the particle Accelerator should cause a lot of radiation and/or burn damage and a small chance for cool superpowers because comicbooks are cool.

Perhaps a even smaller chance of turning the crewmen into a meatcube or a freaky mutant.

Put a cyborg in front of the blast and they either blow up or change into a cool color.

Woah, this science has made a gold plated cyborg!

Also reagent + particle accelerator reactions is probably a stupid idea.
Namely because someone is bound to turn the Particle gun into a giant nuke by putting a lot of radium in front of it.
atomic1fire Wrote:Also reagent + particle accelerator reactions is probably a stupid idea.
Namely because someone is bound to turn the Particle gun into a giant nuke by putting a lot of radium in front of it.

You act like that's a bad thing!
Atomicfire, the station now has a literal nuclear weapon inside it. Your argument is invalid.
I haven't forgotten about this proposal. I'm trying to think of ways to make a laser/particle fusion system work as a research testbed engine on the next map.

Super early rough draft: http://i.imgur.com/KOsEjSB.png

[Image: xwUefhU.png]
New Cogblap Cartograph, complete with giant science gun.

Neat.
Cogwerks Wrote:I haven't forgotten about this proposal. I'm trying to think of ways to make a laser/particle fusion system work as a research testbed engine on the next map.

Super early rough draft: http://i.imgur.com/KOsEjSB.png

[Image: xwUefhU.png]

oooh.
So if i'm thinking right, this does not replace toxins, instead toxins is moved to engineering where it's for engineers to work with making death fuel, and whenever the arc smelter is introduced?
No, Cogwerks is saying this would replace the engine.