Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New science division: Particle physics
Kovirii Wrote:Evacuating or filling the beamlines with gas must require a working pump, right?

What about a button to purge the accelerator and direct the energy off into space?

Yes, a real accelerator would typically use multiple pumps- a roughing pump to get most of the gas out then a turbo pump to get to the real low vacuum levels.

If you are responding specifically about electrostatic accelerators for ion implantation, the button would just need to be a short circuit between the ends of the charging circuit. Unless you are maybe talking about purging the injection chamber? It's possible and even common to run sub-MeV accelerators without shielding gas, so I guess you could just have a feed tube and a purge tube. Sealed systems under insulating gas typically have a high pressure tank somewhere inside since not much is really needed to generate ions. Think fist-size tank.

Any charged beam can be directed with a sufficiently strong magnetic field, though we are talking like 10T to get about a 20 degree bend over a few feet for a half MeV beam.[/quote]
CatBalls Wrote:If you are responding specifically about electrostatic accelerators for ion implantation, the button would just need to be a short circuit between the ends of the charging circuit. Unless you are maybe talking about purging the injection chamber? It's possible and even common to run sub-MeV accelerators without shielding gas, so I guess you could just have a feed tube and a purge tube. Sealed systems under insulating gas typically have a high pressure tank somewhere inside since not much is really needed to generate ions. Think fist-size tank.

Any charged beam can be directed with a sufficiently strong magnetic field, though we are talking like 10T to get about a 20 degree bend over a few feet for a half MeV beam.
The pump suggestion wasn't really tied to the purge suggestion.
I was envisioning some generic cyclotron that when purged, would redirect a stream of particles or energy out a pipe. So something like a shooting a death ray/laser/energy beam off into space. This could be accomplished by opening a shutter and having some magnets turn on or off, I guess. If the setup has a beam dump, sabotaging or destroying it could lead to some chaos. For Science! Technical details aside, I just thought it would be cool.
Kovirii Wrote:
CatBalls Wrote:If you are responding specifically about electrostatic accelerators for ion implantation, the button would just need to be a short circuit between the ends of the charging circuit. Unless you are maybe talking about purging the injection chamber? It's possible and even common to run sub-MeV accelerators without shielding gas, so I guess you could just have a feed tube and a purge tube. Sealed systems under insulating gas typically have a high pressure tank somewhere inside since not much is really needed to generate ions. Think fist-size tank.

Any charged beam can be directed with a sufficiently strong magnetic field, though we are talking like 10T to get about a 20 degree bend over a few feet for a half MeV beam.
The pump suggestion wasn't really tied to the purge suggestion.
I was envisioning some generic cyclotron that when purged, would redirect a stream of particles or energy out a pipe. So something like a shooting a death ray/laser/energy beam off into space. This could be accomplished by opening a shutter and having some magnets turn on or off, I guess. If the setup has a beam dump, sabotaging or destroying it could lead to some chaos. For Science! Technical details aside, I just thought it would be cool.

Actually a cyclotron would be great. You set the power wrong? Your particles are coming out some direction you didn't intend!

Since your idea got me thinking about shielding gas, I thought I would mention a feature of one of the common shielding gases: Sulfur Hexafluoride is much heavier than air. This means if you breathe it in, you have to hang upside down to get it out. Adding another gas to the game might be too much work, but it would make for some hilarious lab accidents.
CatBalls Wrote:Sulfur Hexafluoride is much heavier than air. This means if you breathe it in, you have to hang upside down to get it out. Adding another gas to the game might be too much work, but it would make for some hilarious lab accidents.