Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to be a good rp player
Ive been starting to play rp lately, and i need feedback. Name is usually "The Unnoticed" or "nut". Im likely making alot of rp mistakes that i cant see because i got barely any examples...
Ok quick breakdown. https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules
Normal rules still all apply you are looking in particular at the rp rules of course.
Beyond that as far as advice on role playing as a concept that is a whole giant ball of yarn
(04-21-2022, 01:55 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Ok quick breakdown. https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules
Normal rules still all apply you are looking in particular at the rp rules of course.
Beyond that as far as advice on role playing as a concept that is a whole giant ball of yarn

Ive read the rules and i keep them in mind... what i dont know is if my rp is normal or shit, what mistakes im making and just examples of good and bad rp
Hrmm, well, good rp is largely defined by what you have fun with. This could be long 1:1 talks with someone, or it could be actively adapting and roleplaying in response to the internal and external threats provided to the station.

This is very clearly biased, as everyone will have a different opinion, but things that are unbelievable within the setting of the game I consider poor rp. Such as being a scientist on RP and spending 60 makes making and distributing drugs exclusively through floor pills, while not talking to anyone. General things like this, that push you away from talking to others and are generally unbelievable. I’m not saying spending a long time building a huge mechanics contraption to benefit the station/something for the fun of the crewmates is bad at all, that would be fine, but if there is no end goal but hoping your gimmick potentially harms people with very little interaction is a good basis for poor RP.

Tl;Dr

Good RP- talking on the radio, PDA’ing others, helping during crises’, valuing your life and others lives

Poor RP- isolating yourself, attempting to harm others (as non-antag), creating low interaction scenarios, etc
(04-21-2022, 02:09 PM)nut_ai Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 01:55 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Ok quick breakdown. https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules

Ive read the rules and i keep them in mind... what i dont know is if my rp is normal or shit, what mistakes im making and just examples of good and bad rp
Best two bits of advice I can give are follow the yes and rule and the no but rule when it comes to interactions. Example I am Mops the Floors and I encounter another Lizard by the name of Sweeps the Floors. Do I immediately tell them they are my brother and not let them get a word in edgewise or do I start with something like “Sweeps did you hear about cousin Shines accident?” This gives them the opportunity to do a lot of things and from there you can expand your shared lore together.
The second bit of advice is don’t try to judge your rp as good or bad. Just so long as you are having a decent time and you aren’t making people miserable or uncomfortable you are doing fine.
Trust me people will let you know when you are doing exceptional and they will also tell you when you are being a shitbird.

Addendum seek out and observe mentors and regulars on the rp server. A few fantastic characters who come to mind are Captain Jeb, OVERWATCH the ai, Cal Mooberly, Sophie Crow, Selena James, Doctor Donk Pockets, and if you ever run into him Randolph P. Checkers.
Avoid MOPSY the clown he is trash.wink
So in general i should interact with others as much as possible, strive to have a decent time with others/make the round more enjoyable and accept feedback... So if im doing this im fine?
It also definitely helps to go along with other people's plans (within reason, as long as it seems like something your character would go along with ofc). Bunkering up in your department and not talking to anyone or only to one specific coworker is a great way to be bored out of your mind, so going out for frequent walks and taking a smoke break is a nice way to run into someone doing a gimmick.

Also, try not to murder antags when you see them. There's not many of them to go around.

(that said I'm pretty new to RP myself so if I put anything weirdly give a headsup, rp mains)
(04-21-2022, 11:44 PM)nut_ai Wrote: So in general i should interact with others as much as possible, strive to have a decent time with others/make the round more enjoyable and accept feedback... So if im doing this im fine?

Yeah pretty much. One final piece of wisdom is you also don't have to be "on" every single round that is going to lead to burnout as you try to top each and every previous round. Sometimes just doing crazy shit in your department is the way to go( so long as you don't blow up the station or do something equally bad), and can be justified as this guy likes doing nutty things like redecorating with skulls everywhere ( I know a person irl like that), or being a non talkative Quartermaster pushing more freight than should be humanly possible by themselves.

That being said you seem to have the concept pretty well in hand! Never be afraid to mentorhelp or seek out consistent faces from round to round if you have additional questions.
Imo the single most important thing to remember when playing on rp is to not take yourself too seriously. Yes, you read that correctly. A lot of people get the impression that rp is all about seriousness, and making everything as close to real life as possible, and I hate to say it, but that's not only going to overwhelm you fast, it makes things boring as shit. Don't be afraid to get as wacky or as serious as you like, and just try to relax and go with the flow.

Apart from that, the "yes and" rule is truly wonderful. Coming in with a gigantic plan of everything you want to do and trying to shoe-horn everything along to that plan isn't going to be fun for anyone. Bringing in a unique gimmick or a series of ideas and letting it naturally form, with people's reactions and input playing things off together will lead to something epic for all involved.

Quote:It also definitely helps to go along with other people's plans (within reason, as long as it seems like something your character would go along with ofc). Bunkering up in your department and not talking to anyone or only to one specific coworker is a great way to be bored out of your mind, so going out for frequent walks and taking a smoke break is a nice way to run into someone doing a gimmick.

THIS. The absolute worst feeling in this game is coming up with some awesome idea about what you're going to do and having no one interact with it. If you see someone doing something, from building a store to a dramatic satanic ritual, get involved. It can be anything from just walking by and making some comments about what they're doing, to becoming a central part of it. Buy shit from the store, even if you don't particularly need it, ignore the person making TTVs so you can report the clown to security for littering, it doesn't matter, just do something and roll from there. It'll vastly improve both your own experience and theirs.
Do not be afraid to take your time, it is very tempting to do things as fast as possible without involving others, however taking things slow and talking to others often leads to a much more enjoyable experience for all.
Wrong you help the clown litter bad advice! smile space bear
A: You should check the RP forums too
B: It's fine to have minimal interaction to do maximum stuff for fun. You can litterly be cooped up in your work for fun in the shift and have minimal RP.
Some people are loners who take pride in their work, but remember your work has to be GOOD WORK and not: "I AM GOING TO PRANK THE STATION WITH THIS LARGE THING" That's lame... if you are going to do a big prank, involve the clown and have the clown make noise. As long as you aren't killing.

Now enough ABCs time for some serious talk.

If you feel like you aren't interacting enough... I can ask one thing... What was the job you were playing? I will say it right now that certain jobs will have way less interaction with other players then other jobs.
If you are a miner, your interactions will be limited with other crewmates, cause most of your work remains in your sector. You have no reason to MINE at the bar.
So basicly your maximum interaction is with other miners.
But if you play something like the bartender or chef.. you will get alot more interactions, since people will stop by to drink and eat from your station. This is by default.

Next is antag RP.
I'll insert this golden rule here:
"It doesn't matter what kind of antagonist you are, you do not have to follow your mission objective or blow up the station or such"

If you roll a changeling but decide to never kill people... no one will bat an eye. After all there are other antagonist Security has to deal with.
It's litterly fine to say: "I am not going to use my antag powers to make life hell, insted Im going to enhance others RP"

It's 100% fine to buy a bunch of bowling balls and shirts as a traitor and try to setup a monkey bowling league with everyone.
It's 100% fine to start a Kudzu cult as an antagonist, killing yourself and becoming Kudzu as the cult leader.
it's 100% fine as a vampire to just drink humanized monkey blood and just do dumb vampire pranks infront of people to freak them out and call security.
It's 100% fine as a changeling to never kill another player, but insted start an epidemic of shitty bills by changing people into him. (Requires eating him at space diner)

It's what you do with the tools. Antagonist only means you get options others do not have.
Last time I was a Spy Antag, I was passive. Only got myself a second gun as detective and other wise I spawned a clown car in and have the clown take a lisence test. Was a fun RP and the clown aced the test and got the car and started ubering people. Only 1 security member was angry at me for giving the clown a car, but my logic was: "It was taking up INPOUND SPACE! What if somoene comes in with a giant pod?!"
That shift the other antags were much more aggreisve and bolt so me "helping" security with them was hilarious. Since I had two guns as a det thus stun hell for the poor people who ran. I Just kept taunting them and shooting em down... telling them: "Had enough? I can do this all day"

Remember that in the future.
As for a few general RP tips:
- Do not picture yourself as the main charater. It's silly.
- If an admin does a admeme rp. Try to contribute to it as antag or not.
- Some shifts you might not get much RP, this is fine.
- Chaplain is great to setup dumb RP gimmicks, Create your own religions.
- It's okay to do a "little bit" of meta knowledge in the 1st 5 mins in my opinion to set up your gimmick. Just don't invade other departments to do this...if you need a chemical you gotta work with science or go off station to find a chem dispenser.
- Best try to involve as much departments in any RP you do. If you wanna build a racing track with betting, get as much players involved!
- Try to have fun.
- Your charater can be different in behaviour every shift.